• ...and so much more!
  • MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    It's all about opinions (some better than others) unless and until you need to use it. If it proves to be an adequate tool for you to solve the problem, you have your answer. If not, you have your answer.

I prefer to stack the deck a little more in my favor.

You're just a little different than most people when it comes to stacking the deck! ;)

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I carried an lcp since 2010, just recently updated to a shield 9mm.

But that was for trigger familiarity, and to lessen the calibers I have to buy, as I own a full size 9 and compact 9.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    My edc bounces between a 96g and a 1911, and sometimes a 6" mod 29 smith, but for the last week and a half I have been in Florida and the wife's lcp has been in my pocket instead. In a cc state and being in vacation mode, it has worked out well. And never bothered me a bit being .380

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Well...If size and weight were never a consideration, then I would carry one of these in my front pocket...

0902dp_01_z%2Bm1_abrams_tank%2Bright_front_angle.jpg

But since size and weight matter, then I agree with everyone here who said just carry something...and do it always. No handgun that can be practically carried at all times is a super great man stopper. A rifle is better, but that is not perfect either. Now, a Javelin shot to the groin....that could be a one shot stop there. But I have it on good authority that it can be extremely difficult to conceal carry a Javelin in civilian clothing.

javelin_missile_US-Army_001.jpg

But one thing I can guarantee...the gun left a home because it's to big, or to heavy, or is uncomfortable to shoot, or whatever reason, is just a very, very expensive paperweight.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    But since size and weight matter, then I agree with everyone here who said just carry something...and do it always. No handgun that can be practically carried at all times is a super great man stopper. A rifle is better, but that is not perfect either. Now, a Javelin shot to the groin....that could be a one shot stop there. But I have it on good authority that it can be extremely difficult to conceal carry a Javelin in civilian clothing.

For some, perhaps. In my case, I can summarize with this phrase: big pants, big pockets.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    For all the people that have told me that a 380 isn't a big enough caliber to carry, none have agreed to allow me to shoot them with one.

As others have mentioned, I would carry a 380 any day over no gun. I regularly carry my LCP or P238, when I don't feel like donning something larger, which is quote often.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    For all the people that have told me that a 380 isn't a big enough caliber to carry, none have agreed to allow me to shoot them with one.

As others have mentioned, I would carry a 380 any day over no gun. I regularly carry my LCP or P238, when I don't feel like donning something larger, which is quote often.

I've been told .357 was not big enough.......... true story.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If I felt I was going to be "undergunned" some place, I wouldn't go to that place.

I often only carry a 5-shot revolver (with another 7 on a speed strip) and I don't ever feel under gunned.

I also often only carry a 9mm Shield with 8 in the gun + a spare 8 rd mag. I don't ever feel under gunned.

redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    Better chime back in. I carry that LCP anytime I leave the house and it is setting next to me on the computer desk right now. Hopefully, if ever needed it will be enough gun to handle the situation. Thanks for the input. :shoot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I felt I was going to be "undergunned" some place, I wouldn't go to that place.

I often only carry a 5-shot revolver (with another 7 on a speed strip) and I don't ever feel under gunned.

I also often only carry a 9mm Shield with 8 in the gun + a spare 8 rd mag. I don't ever feel under gunned.

I wonder . . . if we polled people who survived tense social situations, would be they say they were still glad that had a 5-shot revolver instead of "more," or for those who did carry more, if they are confident they could have prevailed as well with a 5-shot revolver.

I do know that I've never heard of anyone who did survive such an encounter wish that they'd had less, and some wish that they'd had more.

If there is no choice, I get it. If it really boils down to convenience or comfort vs. a more capable tool, I don't get it. Of course, I'm not your mommy (or anyone else's), so I have no say in the matter and what I "get" or don't is irrelevant.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

I've always found this argument a bit asinine. I wouldn't agree to let you to chuck a Hotwheels car at my face either, but that doesn't mean I'd reccommend them as a primary means of defense.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I wonder . . . if we polled people who survived tense social situations, would be they say they were still glad that had a 5-shot revolver instead of "more," or for those who did carry more, if they are confident they could have prevailed as well with a 5-shot revolver.

I do know that I've never heard of anyone who did survive such an encounter wish that they'd had less, and some wish that they'd had more.

If there is no choice, I get it. If it really boils down to convenience or comfort vs. a more capable tool, I don't get it. Of course, I'm not your mommy (or anyone else's), so I have no say in the matter and what I "get" or don't is irrelevant.

You just blew my mind. That's pretty much exactly what you said to me the other night on the phone :)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've always found this argument a bit asinine. I wouldn't agree to let you to chuck a Hotwheels car at my face either, but that doesn't mean I'd reccommend them as a primary means of defense.
    +1.

And I'll be the ****: yes, assuming that you HAVE other choices, .380 is a bad choice. If that's all you can get your filthy little raccoon paws on, well, learn to shoot it well, learn to use it as a bludgeoning tool, have a backup plan if it doesn't quickly stop an attack. Better than a sharp stick? Depends on who's using the stick.

eta: whoops, thought the filter would catch that. Apologies to the easily offended.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I've had several people win with one. Nobody lost with an empty one. Almost nobody hits with one either, so take it for what it's worth. Most would have done just as well with a starter pistol.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom