• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Ok so after a bit more searching and reading it sounds like a BCM upper is a good way to go. I have been looking at a few of them but need a little more advice.

First, is their BFH barrel worth the extra $100 over the standard barrel?

Second, I have read that the DD handguards are probably the best ones around, but which one the LITE or the Omega X? Also I know some of it may be personal preference, but should I go with the 12" or the 9" w/FSB?

Next, what about lowers? I have read more on the lowers that the uppers, and I feel pretty confident that I could probably get a stripped lower and LPK and build it myself, but if there's a good price on a good complete lower I'll go that route. So what companies make the best lowers? Does anyone have those Delaware lowers in stock (from Indiana), and if so whats the quality like of them? Also, are their any shops in Indy that keep a stock of lowers (stripped or complete) and/or LPKs?

Thanks for the help and advice INGO, and I'll see you AR nuts at the open house as well!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    First, is their BFH barrel worth the extra $100 over the standard barrel?

The hammer forged barrels are supposed to provide increased accuracy and durability/longevity, but honestly, the average owner/shooter probably won't see the difference. That said, I bought the BFH because it was the only 16" middy barrel they had in stock at the time, and buying the parts separately vs. an assembled upper saved me about $80 - essentially making the upgrade to hammer forged "free" (which is the right price for anything!). :D

which one the LITE or the Omega X?

The LITE is slightly lighter and is available in more lengths/configurations. The Omega-X is a little easier to install (and might have been significanly cheaper, if you bought one when they were on sale). Flip a coin.

Also I know some of it may be personal preference, but should I go with the 12" or the 9" w/FSB?

If you want a 9" rail, you have to go with the LITE, as the Omega-X is not offered in that length. I personally don't care for the rails that have a cutout for the fixed front sight base (i.e. Omega-X 12.0FSP), nor for 12" rails on 16" guns. My current build project will feature an 11" rail over a low-profile gas block (mid-length), with a rail mounted flip-up front sight.

So what companies make the best lowers?

"Best" in what way? As long as the holes are the right size and in the right place, pretty much all the forged lowers are functionally identical. Pick your favorite manufacturer's logo or whatever you can get cheapest, and rock on. As a reference point, I saw a table at the 1500 that had DPMS stripped lowers for $99, and INGO member ARdysfunction (Brad @ Civilian Defense) had some of the Delaware Machine lowers on his table for $85 or so. Based on my personal experience, I would not recommend Superior Arms or Roggio Arsenal.

My :twocents:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    The LITE is slightly lighter and is available in more lengths/configurations. The Omega-X is a little easier to install (and might have been significanly cheaper, if you bought one when they were on sale). Flip a coin.
    I'm looking at the fully assembled uppers so there is no difference to me on how easy they are to install, as of right now. If its down to a coin flip I might go with the LITE so its a bit lighter if I decide to take it out hunting or anything.

If you want a 9" rail, you have to go with the LITE, as the Omega-X is not offered in that length. I personally don't care for the rails that have a cutout for the fixed front sight base (i.e. Omega-X 12.0FSP), nor for 12" rails on 16" guns. My current build project will feature an 11" rail over a low-profile gas block (mid-length), with a rail mounted flip-up front sight.
    I'm looking at BC USA right now and they have LITE 12", LITE 9", Omega X 9" with the BFH barrel, and the LITE 9", Troy 9", and YHM 12" with the standard barrel (in stock, which may change by the time I buy). I like the idea of the quad rail, but not sure, I guess I'll find out for sure at the open house. Also, all the 12" rails dont have the FSB while the 9" do. Will this become a problem if I get a FSB and decide to put an optic on it (magnified or not)? Should I go with the 12" and get the flip up backups?

"Best" in what way? As long as the holes are the right size and in the right place, pretty much all the forged lowers are functionally identical. Pick your favorite manufacturer's logo or whatever you can get cheapest, and rock on. As a reference point, I saw a table at the 1500 that had DPMS stripped lowers for $99, and INGO member ARdysfunction (Brad @ Civilian Defense) had some of the Delaware Machine lowers on his table for $85 or so. Based on my personal experience, I would not recommend Superior Arms or Roggio Arsenal.

My :twocents:

Best, I don't know...Just looking for input here as I know some of the names, but not sure where they stack up. If its just a roll of the dice or preference, where's a good place to order them from? Also any of the shops in Indy carry them because I know the shops here don't.

Thanks again.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If its down to a coin flip I might go with the LITE so its a bit lighter if I decide to take it out hunting or anything.

If it matters to you, the Omega-X also includes built-in QD sling swivel sockets, where the LITE does not.

I'm looking at BC USA right now and they have LITE 12", LITE 9", Omega X 9" with the BFH barrel, and the LITE 9", Troy 9", and YHM 12" with the standard barrel (in stock, which may change by the time I buy).

Saw that - didn't know there was an Omega-X 9" (and evidently Daniel Defense didn't, either, as their website hasn't been updated to show it). Good stuff.

Also, all the 12" rails dont have the FSB while the 9" do. Will this become a problem if I get a FSB and decide to put an optic on it (magnified or not)? Should I go with the 12" and get the flip up backups?

Answer to another member's related question:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/71432-upper_question.html#post796658

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Well the QD sockets would be nice for a sling or bipod so that may be a factor in my decision. Also it looks like I might want the longer 12" rail so I can eliminate the FSB and add the flip-ups. I looked at BC USA again and I lied they don't have any of the DD 12" in stock, but hopefully by Feb (prob when I buy) they'll have some.

Mark, I appreciate the help so far and look forward to talking to you more at the open house to get some more input and answers.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Be careful, they are like Lays potato chips. You can't have just 1.

I started my journey (as did several thousand) into EBR disease in Nov 2008, 2 days after the POTUS election.

I went with a midlength, chrome lined, 1x9, flat-top as a good all around utility AR. After all, if I'm just gonna have one, I might as well get one that compromises pretty well.

1 turned into 2, and 2 has turned into another lower, which usually results in getting another upper. So in 14 months I have gone from 0 to 2.5 AR's, and will likely be at 3 by summer.

Current plans are to have a 16" carbine length, 16" middy, and either a pistol caliber, or go with a 20" 5.56 to round out the set. Of course that means that my 16" M4gery really isn't a real M4gery since the bbl is 16" + FH, so I'll probably have to get a 14.7"bbl with permanent Flash-hider, then a.....trails off......

:ar15::ingo:
    This is my future, I fear for the safety of my wallet.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well the QD sockets would be nice for a sling or bipod

The QD sockets will allow you to easily attach a sling, but not a bipod. The sockets are on the left and right sides of the rail, next to the upper receiver.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Thanks E, I was looking for something like that, but maybe with a bit more customization out the door.

I think with Marks help, along with some hands on at the open house, I can keep going the route I'm working. Right now its just kind of a waiting game because I think I want to get the 1 piece (no FSB hole) rail (so I can use the flip-ups w/ optics) which are all out of stock at BC. The only other option I have is to buy the BCM upper without the rail, and then buy the rail from DD and have someone help me install it.

...I can use a 12" "rifle" rail on a mid-length system right?

One other thing, how is the DD RIS II rail system?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    ...I can use a 12" "rifle" rail on a mid-length system right?

It depends. If the rail is free-floating, and you have a low-profile gas block, then yes.

This model, however, CANNOT be used that way: Daniel Defense Omega Rail Rifle Free Float

One other thing, how is the DD RIS II rail system?

That rail fits a very specific need (allowing a grenade launcher to be mounted under it), and therefore probably overkill for your build, IMO.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Ok so this is where I am so far on this....Thoughts, comments, concerns?
    Option One
    BCM Standard 16” Mid Length Upper - $425 [BCM 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group]
    Daniel Defense 12” Lite Rail - $369 [Daniel Defense, Inc | Browse | AR15 Lite Rails | AR 15 Lite Rail 12.0]
    Total - $794 (Plus smith)

Option Two
    (out of stock)
    BCM Standard (or BFH) Mid Length Upper w/ DD 12” LITE Rail
    Standard - $779 [BCM 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group with Daniel Defense Lite12]
    BFH - $875 [BCM 16" BFH Mid Length Upper Receiver Group with Daniel Defense Lite12]

Option Three
    BCM Standard (or BFH) Mid Length Upper w/ DD 9” LITE Rail
    Standard - $779 [BCM 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group with Daniel Defense 9.0 Handguard]
    BFH - $875 [BCM 16" BFH Mid Length Upper Receiver Group with Daniel Defense 9" Handguards]

Option Four

BCM BFH Mid Length Upper w/ DD 9” Omega-X Rail - $799 [BCM BFH™ 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Daniel Defense Omega X 9" Handguard]

For the lower I found a DoubleStar at MidwayUSA for $96, which seems to be reasonable. How about LPK's? There seems to be a lot of variety out there on these too.

Last edited:

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    I second shooters choice on the Rock River Arms LPK. IMHO there is no better choice. Unless I misread something, option 1 up there will not work very well. You can't put a rifle length rail on a midlength uppper if you have the fixed front site (which the upper you chose has). However, if you were to find one with the low profile gas block, this wouldn't be a problem.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I will also echo shooter's choice of option #4. This gets you the BFH barrel, a high-quality rail with QD sockets, and you eliminate the need to buy a flip-up front sight-- all for about the same money as the other standard barrel options.

Personally, I'd look for a lower from someplace other than DS. They have a nice finish on them, but it tends to not match uppers. With a little bit of looking around, I'm sure you can find a better lower with a better logo for about the same money.

Here's two more LPK options:

Daniel Defense
    Daniel Defense Lower Reciever Parts Kit (comes with a polymer Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard)

CMMG
    CMMG AR15 Lower Parts Kit

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Daniel Defense
    Daniel Defense Lower Reciever Parts Kit (comes with a polymer Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard)

I just gotta ask... why, OH WHY, if they can sub in a Magpul trigger guard, can't they do something about that worthless A2 pistol grip?? :xmad:

G&R Tactical used to offer custom LPKs where you could pick and choose various pistol grip, trigger guard and hammer/trigger/disconnector options (price would be adjusted accordingly, of course). I'm generally not a huge fan of G&R, but that was a darn good idea. I've seen other places offer LPKs without hammer/trigger/disconnector or pistol grip, figuring that folks would want something other than basic, anyway. I hate paying for parts I'm not going to use (that's my biggest complaint about the MIAD, but ask me how many of those I have now... anybody need a bag-o-backstraps?).

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I just gotta ask... why, OH WHY, if they can sub in a Magpul trigger guard, can't they do something about that worthless A2 pistol grip?? :xmad:

I'm right there with ya! Sub in the Magpul trigger guard and MOE grip into EVERY LPK I say! :yesway:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Great info guys thanks. I'll probably still wait till after the open house to start this project, but its getting exciting...cant wait to get in going. As far as the lowers they seem to be much more expensive online so I'm gonna head over to the local shop which says they are a distributor for a few brands and see what they have. If thats a no go maybe a classified and some more searching.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Well I got some great hands on time with a number of different setups and I still like where we were going here. At first I thought I wanted the 12" rail on the 16" barrel, but after looking around at the open house I like the 9" with the FSB. I was ready to order that BCM BFH Mid Length Upper w/ DD 9” Omega-X Rail, but they are sold out currently. I am gonna have them email me when they get more back in, so I guess I'll play the waiting game until I cant stand it and then get something else....

I'm going to go over to the local shop tomorrow to talk to them about lower receivers to see what they can get from their dealers. On the phone he said they mostly sell RRA, but can get over 40 different brands. Hopefully I'll have something done by the end of the month and then the fun begins.

Top Bottom