• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Long story short, that is my first car, and I will not be selling it. It is a huge part of my life / hobby ( SCCA Autocross, Racing, etc. ) I haven't raced in a long time, but plan on getting back into it after I graduate.

I will not be selling the car, it does not cost me anything, and I will not sacrifice it.

Now is not the best time to be selling something like that anyway.
    Rather than dwell on the car, should we get back to your preps?

I believe most here are trying to help you out.
    I'd guess that most of those that replied could be old enough to call you "son".
    Myself included :):

Most have had to budget for our preps and spend as frugally as possible, making mistakes along the way.
    That could be why you are seeing so many replies recommending that you
    NOT use credit for this sort of thing, especially a student loan.
    Many alternatives have been offered.

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Understandable Justus.

While in school, I do not have an income though, and have made it 3 out of 4 years so far off my internships and work. This last year, just isn't going to cover the expenses I've had to endure. I wouldn't be in this situation or broke like I am, but unfortunately, over the last 2 years, I've lot over 5k due to a family situation and someone lying in court that I was supposed to get back.

I can't get the money back, and I have just one more year to graduate. If all goes well, the world won't end within then.. lol

I understand where some of the guys are coming from.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ruiner,

If you want to prep but don't have much money or any land or know anyone who will let you, you could always do a "guerilla" garden.

Basically this is technically tresspassing but if you can find a nice secluded spot somewhere on a large track of public property (just please don't tresspass on private property) you could grow yourself alot of kidney and navy beans, get you a nice big harvest & then dry them out real good & store them in sealed mylar bags w/oxygen removed then place them in 5 gallon buckets for long-term storage, they'll last for years.

Last edited:

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    lol this thread is full of info that will ruin your life. Go into debt, trespass and grow a garden on land that isn't yours. LMAO. I am washing my hands of this thread.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Ruiner,

If you want to prep but don't have much money or any land or know anyone who will let you, you could always do a "guerrilla" garden.

Basically this is technically tresspassing but if you can find a nice secluded spot somewhere on a large track of public property (just please don't tresspass on private property) you could grow yourself alot of kidney and navy beans, get you a nice big harvest & then dry them out real good & store them in sealed mylar bags w/oxygen removed then place them in 5 gallon buckets for long-term storage, they'll last for years.

just make sure it's not by any other "guerrilla" gardens. side note I have the munchies;)

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    A guerrilla garden does not look like a garden. It is scatter food growing along with the other bush and weeds in the woods. You are the only one that knows where you planted them. Most would never notice that they are even there. You just wander thought the woods and gather it when it ripens. While it will produce some food, not a very effective way of growing food.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    There are a couple of ways of looking at obtaining equipment, but I'd suggest that given your current financial footing either skip it, or get basics and low-end equipment until you can afford to go beyond that.

Others have shown how food basics can be covered for about $50. Add to that:
    1. A small metal container to boil water in (Goodwill: $2)
    2. A cheap but decent knife (note: not a RAMBO SUPERSURVIVAL 2000, just a decent fixed blade knife, preferably no serrations) (WalMart: $10)
    3. An axe or hatchet (Hardware Store: $10)
    4. No less than 2 ways to make fire (metal match, magnesium firestarter, butane lighter, matches) ($5)

You're looking at under $100 for the whole shooting match. That will cover your basic needs for a few days ... weeks if you don't depend entirely on what you have on you. If you've got a little bit of ammo for your guns, set it aside for now. Surviving beyond a few weeks is going to require a lot more than just fancy gear anyway, so don't worry about it for now.

After you've carefully spent your first survival budget, focus on being financially responsible. Chances are very good that your preparations will not ever be needed for a serious bug-out or bug-in. Focus on getting out of debt, not racking up any more loans than absolutely necessary and getting into a better position financially.

I guarantee you that if you focus on eliminating debt, you'll have more money to get more and better supplies and ammo sooner than you could if you took out loans for everything. Sure, you'll get stuff quicker on credit, but it'll suck you dry for years to come. Better to cover the basics for cheap and then pay cash for a real stash later. That's not just an opinion, run the numbers and see for yourself.

If you are seriously worried about social collapse tomorrow, that's one thing. Max the cards, get the best gear you can, get guns and ammo and a better vehicle. I don't think that's the case, and if it isn't coming immediately, then stop and think about the choices before you make them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    To the original poster I understand your "worry" state. I have been there, gone completely mad (inthe carzy sence) about worrying that I don't have enough of this or that, and then leave the whoel topic for a while and relax and then come back and go crazy all over again. It's a never ending cycle that if you let it it will rip you apart!

1) Based on your first post you are already in what I will call the "emotional crazy prepare" stage. When I get like this I have my wife slap me and it's off limits for at least 3 days of thinking about anything STHF related. To destress I play board game with the little ones, color/paint, and play video games after work. NO READING ANY SHTF POST PERIOD.

2) Once you get off the emotional worry and are back down to earth you can rethink your game plan in BABY STEPS!!!!!

3) What do you want to prepare for?
    SHTF is very broad and you will NEVER be able to cover that. Even if you had UNLIMTED FUNDS. Why? Well SHTF can mean a nature emergency (flood, blizzard) to all out end of the world (nuclear WW3 fallout). In all the cases in-beween the planning is different. Eg. You plan for a nuke event which required building/having a shelter so that radiation does not get to you. Yet that same palce may or may not work for floods or blizzards, etc. You in reality a full STHF plan is really a set of smaller STHF specific focus plans. yes I know more for you to worry about. Understand that you can not plan or everything.

4) All plans are going to have some basics, followed by special items for that plan. So start with teh basics.

IN THIS ORDER OF IMPORTANCE
    1) KNOWLEDGE
    2) Weapon System
    3) Water
    4) Food
    5) Shelter (if applicable)
    6) Survial Community

Knowledge is the most important one. You can have all the medical supplies in the world but if you don't know anything about medicine then you don't know what to take right? Same with how to clean water. How to survive off the land. How to build a fire. Or fish, etc.. Note you will NOT be able to learn it all and don't try but learn to make contacts. You may have learned how to fix cars and after a SHTF your skill may be required by a Doctor or Farmer. You fix their machine they in turn give you food or a checkup etc. Trading one service for another. (Item 6)

Weapon's system is more than just a rifle/handgun ownership. You need to ensure you have the essenticals for your rifle/handgun/SG to keep it in operation. ammo, sling, clenaing, spare parts, etc.. Now why weapon sysyetm next? This is going to sound evil sorry all. In an extreme SHTF (EMP blast no more lights for years, nuclear fall out, T3 style, The day afetr tomorrow climate change) you are going to have to use force to take and defend whatever you need to survive. You better prepare for this. Mankind will cease to be civil and resort back to it's barbaric ways. You want to survive you will do whatever it takes. WHATEVER IT TAKES!

3) Water (see prior post) but you can't go more than 3 "active" days without this stuff.

4) Food (see pior post) you can go a longer while without this.

---
    As for getting more into debt. This is your own personal choice and both pros/cons heard hear are good. If an extreme STHF occurs it's not going to matter how much debt you owe. The world is going to come out a different animal and nobody is going to come after you for the debt.

Howeevr note that it's a gamble. Extreme sthf are rare and we have not had one. Take baby steps first. Buy the bare bones of what you need to keep your mind at ease. (see above).

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I'm going to agree with Richard here. Unless some unseen calamity occurs (a rare occurance) this possible coming SHTF will be more of a "bug-in" than a "bug-out" for the vast majority of us. We'll just have to hunker down, be very frugal, be in a defensive mindset against looters and aggressive opportunists, and stay calm. Things will be extremely tight and tense for a while, but the underground economy will pick up quickly, and we'll all survive.

Last edited:

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    The best things to know during survival have been stated. But the biggest thing you gotta do to prepare besides actual items is learn how to stay calm. People that panic when lost in the woods are almost 95% more likely to not make it out as easily as those that learn how to slow down and stay calm. Your brain is the most important tool to have. If you are calm and you think straight, you will save yourself quite easily.

Once you are calm and understand your surroundings, find a source of fresh water. Moving water is better than standing, clear is better than hazy (commen sense).

Shelter, under uprooted tree in creek bed or make one. Indiana, it's is pretty easy since trees are just about everywhere. Pine tree's will be your friend. Use the branches with the needles as a roof to shelter off sunlight and rain.

Food, hunting is difficult without firearms or fishing tackle. But, you can survive off local vegetation, watch the local animals. You would be suprised what kinds of plants taste like lemons and mint!

Fire, I honestly would say fire is more important than shelter on the first night depending on the weather. Fire is comforting, gives heat, helps you dry off if your wet, keeps the boogy man away. Some laugh about the boogie man, but once you spend 2-3 days alone your mind plays tricks on you. Nature makes noises that will spook you. Fire will defenitely bring you much comfort at night.

I will check and see if I have a extra boy scout handbook laying around. It is a great book to learn simple survival basics that will keep you alive. I will pm you when I know if I do or not, if I do I will just give it to you.

Stashing away Salt, Iodine, Rice etc is a good idea. Only if you ALWAYS can have that on you, so knowing how to survive on the the recources you have around you is way more logical/important than to rely and hope that you have all these things stowed away in your vehicle or home.

1 week boy scout survival in northern indiana with just a poncho
    1 week boy scout survival at New Mexico with just a chipped stone
    1 week boy scout survival in Colorado rockies with just clothing and shoes
    1 week in washington state.
    I plan on doing another week on my own time since I have done anything with scouts since I acheived my Eagle.

This is all of course my opinion.

And it's an excellent opinion. Boy Scout manuals are crammed with info that is more than applicable for SHTF. :yesway: It doesn't even matter when the manual was written...I've got one from 1940, 1956, and 1978...the information and concepts remain relevant through the years. Grab one if you find one at a garage sale, used book shop, antique shop, whatever.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'm going to agree with Richard here. Unless some unseen calamity occurs (a rare occurance) this possible coming SHTF will be more of a "bug-in" than a "bug-out" for the vast majority of us. We'll just have to hunker down, be very frugal, be in a defensive mindset against looters and aggressive opportunists, and stay calm. Things will be extremely tight and tense for a while, but the underground economy will pick up quickly, and we'll all survive.

Gonna be real hard to eat that car and trailer though. Lots of salt and catsup, I'll bet.

I'm the one with the car and trailer, I am not the one whining and complaining I am broke, need to prepare and refusing to sell a ride that won't do squat to save my ass or my families ass.... leave me out of it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    A guerrilla garden does not look like a garden. It is scatter food growing along with the other bush and weeds in the woods. You are the only one that knows where you planted them. Most would never notice that they are even there. You just wander thought the woods and gather it when it ripens. While it will produce some food, not a very effective way of growing food.

I tried to ignore it. Made it through several of these guerrilla garden posts but I give up.

I doubt any one suggesting that has ever grown any kind of garden at all and sure as heck has never grown one in a rural area. They read it in some magazine, written by some one equally with out expirience in the real world trying it.

You can barely keep the deer out of a real garden surrounded by barb wire and an electric fence. You won't see any thing but blisters and wasted time from that. Everything that breathes is going to eat any thing YOU could eat that's planted in the woods or any secluded rural public land.

Get real, store something people want bad, in bad times, and trade it for food. Cigs, booze, dope, fuel, ammo, guns.

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    It would appear, from your statement above, that you are not as financially deficient as you would have us believe.

Now you proceed to bite the hands that fed you (at your request) advice.

Hopefully you haven't wasted fellow members efforts by crying "Wolf".

Stay in school.

I was financially ok 2 years ago. That changed. Some pretty bad things have happened, a lot of medical bills, a lot of school bills, and other expenses.

I haven't raced my VR-4 in years. I haven't even driven it in the last 3 months. It's sitting in storage. So feel free to tell me how I'm deceiving anyone on my financials. I have 3k on credit cards thanks to school books, bills, and some medical. I have 300 bucks in the bank, and a few more months until I hit summer where I will make just enough to pay off the CC's, get some money ready for my senior year, and enough to cover food / a few new pieces of clothing over the summer.

I haven't wasted anyone's time and take offense to that. I'm not even sure what you are getting at since I am in school and have 2 semesters left. Was asking for advice, and I got some. It may not have been in the line of thinking I thought most would suggest and that's fine. It's sad if some take offense that I don't just go out and sell everything I don't necessarily NEED just so I can have stuff in case things go south.

I will definitely take some suggestions from here and see what I can apply.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I tried to ignore it. Made it through several of these guerrilla garden posts but I give up.

I doubt any one suggesting that has ever grown any kind of garden at all and sure as heck has never grown one in a rural area. They read it in some magazine, written by some one equally with out expirience in the real world trying it.

You can barely keep the deer out of a real garden surrounded by barb wire and an electric fence. You won't see any thing but blisters and wasted time from that. Everything that breathes is going to eat any thing YOU could eat that's planted in the woods or any secluded rural public land.

Get real, store something people want bad, in bad times, and trade it for food. Cigs, booze, dope, fuel, ammo, guns.

The OP stated he doesn't have the money or space to buy and store food, in fact I believe the title of this thread is "Unable to prepare".

I was pointing out that he can in fact prepare because even a homeless crippled guy could scrape enough money together to buy a few packages of seeds and then wander around until he finds a nice secluded spot and plant a couple hundred seeds around the area.

Now if you personally think that this idea is a waste of time well then simply don't do it, but the OP was asking for suggestions about things he could do.

And guerilla gardening is one of the things he could do.

Now Jack as far as your unwarranted personal swipe at belittling my experience in this matter, you of course had absolutely no idea that I am actually very good friends with Mother Nature.

In fact I have been farming, ranching and gardening my entire life, gardening year round both indoor garden and outdoor gardens as well as taking foraging trips with my daughter to harvest both wild berries every spring and wild nuts every autumn.

So while I am not going to ask for a retraction or apology I would appreciate it if in the future you refrained from making unfounded accusations & attacks on/about people whom you obviously know nothing about.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I grow a small garden every year. I have a place in the middle of two tree farms. Lots of deer and rabbits. My outside dogs keep the deer and rabbits out of the garden. I don't need high or electric fences.

At my place at the lake, I grow tomatos, strawberrys, snap beans and a few other things around the edges of the chain length fence in the front yard. Big woods right behind me with a couple hundred apple trees as well. Lots of deer. I lose very little there as well.

I have played around with the guerilla garden in the woods around me just to see if it worked. It does work. Like I said, not very efficient and you do lose some to wildlife. But you do get some crops.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I grow a small garden every year. I have a place in the middle of two tree farms. Lots of deer and rabbits. My outside dogs keep the deer and rabbits out of the garden. I don't need high or electric fences.

At my place at the lake, I grow tomatos, strawberrys, snap beans and a few other things around the edges of the chain length fence in the front yard. Big woods right behind me with a couple hundred apple trees as well. Lots of deer. I lose very little there as well.

I have played around with the guerilla garden in the woods around me just to see if it worked. It does work. Like I said, not very efficient and you do lose some to wildlife. But you do get some crops.

Clt,

You live rigth behind a wooded area with a couple hundred apples! niiiiiiiccccceeeeeeeeeeeeee! mind if me & my daughter stop by this fall with a basket or two?

Anyway yea guerilla gardening works, of course you'll lose some of the unattended garden's harvest to bugs and citters but that's just to be expected.

So sow hundreds of seeds for your guerilla garden, not just a a couple of packets of 25.

Top Bottom