• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Who all listens to Coast to Coast on WIBC 93.1 FM from mid-night to 5:00 am? They have had people on there saying the SWillHTF yet this year. They have an advitiser who sells non hybrid seeds in cans that will plant a five acre garden.

Do you think they may know something we don't, as yet?

Credit Scores are important today, but next week, who really knows. I would say, be prepared today and let tomorrow will take care of itself. Maybe not the best wisdom I can give, but who knows about that either. Just don't go into debt that youl can not expect to pay off tomorrow. Tomorrow may just end up just fine for all of us.

God Bless and God Speed to us all.

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The best things to know during survival have been stated. But the biggest thing you gotta do to prepare besides actual items is learn how to stay calm. People that panic when lost in the woods are almost 95% more likely to not make it out as easily as those that learn how to slow down and stay calm. Your brain is the most important tool to have. If you are calm and you think straight, you will save yourself quite easily.

Once you are calm and understand your surroundings, find a source of fresh water. Moving water is better than standing, clear is better than hazy (commen sense).

Shelter, under uprooted tree in creek bed or make one. Indiana, it's is pretty easy since trees are just about everywhere. Pine tree's will be your friend. Use the branches with the needles as a roof to shelter off sunlight and rain.

Food, hunting is difficult without firearms or fishing tackle. But, you can survive off local vegetation, watch the local animals. You would be suprised what kinds of plants taste like lemons and mint!

Fire, I honestly would say fire is more important than shelter on the first night depending on the weather. Fire is comforting, gives heat, helps you dry off if your wet, keeps the boogy man away. Some laugh about the boogie man, but once you spend 2-3 days alone your mind plays tricks on you. Nature makes noises that will spook you. Fire will defenitely bring you much comfort at night.

I will check and see if I have a extra boy scout handbook laying around. It is a great book to learn simple survival basics that will keep you alive. I will pm you when I know if I do or not, if I do I will just give it to you.

Stashing away Salt, Iodine, Rice etc is a good idea. Only if you ALWAYS can have that on you, so knowing how to survive on the the recources you have around you is way more logical/important than to rely and hope that you have all these things stowed away in your vehicle or home.

1 week boy scout survival in northern indiana with just a poncho
    1 week boy scout survival at New Mexico with just a chipped stone
    1 week boy scout survival in Colorado rockies with just clothing and shoes
    1 week in washington state.
    I plan on doing another week on my own time since I have done anything with scouts since I acheived my Eagle.

This is all of course my opinion.

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    My most useful plan is to have a go to vehicle. I'm always within running distance of mine, so I'm going to get a Hardigg Storm or Pelican case to put in the back of it and have it contain everything from glo-sticks, to food, to ammo, boots, clothes, to a spare weapon locked in the back.

A rolling lifebox per say. That way I'll have the basics covered and ready to go if things ever got really ugly and I needed to go in a hurry.

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicles wont work in the event of a Electro Magnetic Impulse. Not highly possible one will happen, but you never know.

In my personal view and experience, the more you rely on something else, the worse off you are. It is better to know how to survive with nothing than to rely and hope that what you have will be along side with you.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I still don't know what to do about ammo. I can't afford anything, and have barely enough for a range session. That really bothers me.

Why would you need to keep more than the necessities in your vehicle kit?
    These days, I wouldn't be rolling around town with a guns & ammo cache in the trunk. (JMO)

Plus your one-and-only supply stash being kept in your vehicle is begging to be stolen.

My 2 cents:
    It's good to be prepared.
    From what I've read so far, if I were in your situation, I'd concentrate on a 3-7 day kit
    and work out an extended Plan B with a friend or relative.
    Use the kit to get to Plan B and don't rely on being able to drive in
    an emergency.

Last edited:

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    if you can buy a pelican case to store your stuff, you arent spending your money well, that cost right there could pay for all your shtf food and other gear. Maybe you are letting things get to your head a little too much. There are plenty of sealable plastic storage bins/containers that will do just as well. And like Justus said, that stash is waiting to get stolen in a heart beat.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    Going further in debt will never help, and you are doing a personal stimulus package now that you will pay for for a long, long time.

it's funny to me that people complain about the way gov't is ran when they run their own loves the exact same way. Selling the car is your way to do what you want (stock up) and get out of debt.
    repped for that comment. So many people complain about the gov, but are the first to take a hand out or demand more support...all the while continuing to rail on the gov for failed policies.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    What makes you think people from the country won't be driving 30-45 minits to sit in your living room and eat your food stores?

What is it that makes people in Indianapolis think they are going to sit up there in the city all their lives, keep the good jobs all to their self, lobby all the government lackeys day and night in Indianapolis for their benefit and then as soon as SHTF they think they will just take a little drive out to some one else's "corn field" and set up a squatters camp. Throw a little picnic.

I've said it before and I'll remind ya again here because I don't fire warning shots, the power goes out or I have any reason to think there's a remote chance S is H'ing T F and I see any one on my property after dark they are likely to be in a hole by daylight.....
    Very true. If S really HTF, then catching that treerat is going to have a whole lot more competition than someone just walking onto anothers property and taking their food supply. Luckily I have deer waling in my woods (live in town), and have plenty of critters as well...but I sure as heck arent sharing none of these with people that think they will just mosey on my lot

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Vehicles wont work in the event of a Electro Magnetic Impulse. Not highly possible one will happen, but you never know.

In my personal view and experience, the more you rely on something else, the worse off you are. It is better to know how to survive with nothing than to rely and hope that what you have will be along side with you.

Woah there bud.. That's a little far fetched.

Why would you need to keep more than the necessities in your vehicle kit?
    These days, I wouldn't be rolling around town with a guns & ammo cache in the trunk. (JMO)

Plus your one-and-only supply stash being kept in your vehicle is begging to be stolen.

My 2 cents:
    It's good to be prepared.
    From what I've read so far, if I were in your situation, I'd concentrate on a 3-7 day kit
    and work out an extended Plan B with a friend or relative.
    Use the kit to get to Plan B and don't rely on being able to drive in
    an emergency.

Not making my vehicle a one and only supply stash. I dunno how those signals got crossed, I'm just speaking in general terms on some stuff ( IE: Ammo I would keep in my house where the rest of it is, and maybe a box or two in the vehicle ) Beyond that, we're strictly talking a mobile life box in the vehicle, and I'll have other stuff in the house. Not trying to be excessive or redundant.

if you can buy a pelican case to store your stuff, you arent spending your money well, that cost right there could pay for all your shtf food and other gear. Maybe you are letting things get to your head a little too much. There are plenty of sealable plastic storage bins/containers that will do just as well. And like Justus said, that stash is waiting to get stolen in a heart beat.

I can't buy a pelican case. As I said, stuff is expensive, but if you were going to put trust in a case for things that may support your life, wouldn't you want it in a case that won't get hurt / damaged / will hold up to extreme abuse and all weather?

There is a reason Hardigg Storm Cases / Pelican cases, etc are not the same as a cheap plastic case. I'd like one of the nice ones, beyond that until money starts coming in, I'll be dealing with what I have currently.

Also, no "stash" as you guys are referring too. I won't have a sign that says, hey look in my vehicle and see that black case you can barely see in the back.. That's got shtf stuff! So, the risk of my vehicle being broken into would be no higher than what it is currently today.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What makes you think people from the country won't be driving 30-45 minits to sit in your living room and eat your food stores?

What is it that makes people in Indianapolis think they are going to sit up there in the city all their lives, keep the good jobs all to their self, lobby all the government lackeys day and night in Indianapolis for their benefit and then as soon as SHTF they think they will just take a little drive out to some one else's "corn field" and set up a squatters camp. Throw a little picnic.

I've said it before and I'll remind ya again here because I don't fire warning shots, the power goes out or I have any reason to think there's a remote chance S is H'ing T F and I see any one on my property after dark they are likely to be in a hole by daylight. If I already know them enough to recognise them right away they better still keep their hands where I can see them and be hailing the house when I see them, not sniffing around the barn or back of the house.

You city boys made yer bed in Indy..., don't think for a minute you'll be camp'n out in MY garden just because a little SHTF up there.
    Ha ha, well said.
    In my case, there will be people who are very much cared about here. There will be no chances taken, period.

To the OP, if you're really concerned about survival and SHTF, sell that car. It makes you a target and would provide $ for a "reliable" beater, plus the gear and supply's you are concerned about.

Last edited:

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Originally Posted by Jack Ryan

I've said it before and I'll remind ya again here because I don't fire warning shots, the power goes out or I have any reason to think there's a remote chance S is H'ing T F and I see any one on my property after dark they are likely to be in a hole by daylight. If I already know them enough to recognise them right away they better still keep their hands where I can see them and be hailing the house when I see them, not sniffing around the barn or back of the house.

You city boys made yer bed in Indy..., don't think for a minute you'll be camp'n out in MY garden just because a little SHTF up there.

Space turtle don't come down my way, I will kindly ask you one time to leave my property the next request coming your way or anyone else's trying to squat/welch from my land will not be words. I choose to live where the land is fertile and plenty you don't so stay there or go north if ya don't want me shooting at you.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I can't buy a pelican case. As I said, stuff is expensive, but if you were going to put trust in a case for things that may support your life, wouldn't you want it in a case that won't get hurt / damaged / will hold up to extreme abuse and all weather?

There is a reason Hardigg Storm Cases / Pelican cases, etc are not the same as a cheap plastic case. I'd like one of the nice ones, beyond that until money starts coming in, I'll be dealing with what I have currently.

You aren't planning on putting you car in a crusher and then submerging it are you?

You are in school. You don't have a lot of money.

You need to make SMART choices.

A 4 dollar rubbermaid tub and a bunch of 2 liter bottles aren't as sexy as a pelican case and a bunch of mountain house. In you case either one will serve you just as well. Deal with it.

You came here for advice and you are getting some solid stuff.

You are planning on bugging in your car... how much can it hold? Get the two liters, fill with rice and beans. One or two with salt. Under 50 bucks for 45 days worth of food.

You don't have enough ammo for a range trip? Skip a trip. Take that ammo and set it aside. Skip a few trips or shoot a bit less and you have a stash.

Look you aren't going to get set over night. Don't think this is an all of nothing deal.

Baby steps.

As to the debt issue... they can garnish wages for student loans so it's not like racking up unsecured credit card debt. Think about that. If S is hitting the fan, who cares about some debt? if it doesn;t... well survival is about making either way.

Don't get the loan without some serious thought and don't waste any of that money if you do on a friggin pelican case. Don't sell your car. Don't let your pride or image get in the way here. Suck it up. I bet you go out and party occasionally. Drinks aren't cheap. Make sacrifices.

I don't for a second believe you can't make some cuts and save a few bucks a week. I know because I've been there. You want something? You have to make sacrifices. If you can't make those sacrifices you don't want it bad enough. Period.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    You came here for advice and you are getting some solid stuff.

Baby steps.

Don't get the loan without some serious thought and don't waste any of that money.....

I've been watching a young man burn thru a student loan buying all kinds
    of non-school related things... dump truck, kitchen remodeling etc.

You'll be glad you didn't borrow more money than you needed for school.

Have you considered the possibility that you may have to carry your gear?
    Most folks keep their emergency gear in a duffle or pack that can be easily carried.
    There are inexpensive lockable footlockers made for SUVs.

I'm apparently missing something, you have a home obviously but want to
    keep your bug-out gear prepacked in your vehicle?
    Or do you want to keep enough gear in the vehicle to get you home?
    You have an SUV and the car is a second vehicle?

I'm trying to figure out why so much stuff needs to stay in your vehicle.

Last edited:

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    For reference since some people aren't getting this....

We're talking about a Nissan Xterra that this stuff would be going into... I don't drive the car in my signature everyday.

Long story short, that is my first car, and I will not be selling it. It is a huge part of my life / hobby ( SCCA Autocross, Racing, etc. ) I haven't raced in a long time, but plan on getting back into it after I graduate.

I will not be selling the car, it does not cost me anything, and I will not sacrifice it. That's like me telling you guys to sell your guns you like, and keep the shittiest because they'll still get the job done.

-----------------------------------------------------

Gotta run.. but will reply later.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    If it came down to me surviving or selling my racecar and the trailer. I would sell it all, it will be worthless when shtf. Just so you know I have owned mine since 1995 and rebuilt the whole thing from the front to the back. The car means the world to me as it was heavily worked on by my best friend and I before he died. Cars are objects and most can't save your ass, especially not a specialty vehicle like your racer or mine.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    You have the rest of your life to pay debt off. Get what you NEED now, as there may not be a chance in the future. If SHTF the last thing you'll need to worry about is paying off a stundent loan. Heck, my first student loan I got I cashed the check at thre local gun store and got a HK91, yep, check was for $943.00 or something like that and I got a HK91, several mags and a few hundred rounds of ammo. ( I am showing my age here.)
    As I said above, get what you NEED, not what you want. I fear SHTF may be just right around the corner.

That is the worst advice I have ever heard in my life - and coming from a gun dealer too. Funny how that works. He's got something to gain there.

Don't trash your current life by making poor financial decisions. Not preparing for the future you will probably have is beyond stupid, and foolishly spending money and going into debt will do wonders to trash your whole life.

Prioritize.
    Plan first for
    1) what will most likely happen, then
    2) what might happen, THEN
    3) what will probably not happen... etc.

Just follow some of the earlier suggestions - start slow, look for deals, read, read, read, (gather info) and pay off your debts. When you get more $$ someday, then pick up your favorite gun or whatever, (but not from some panicky clown's gun shop)

Budget and make debt your enemy. You'd be AMAZED at how fast your income builds up if you don't have credit card debt or a car payment.

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    For reference since some people aren't getting this....

We're talking about a Nissan Xterra that this stuff would be going into... I don't drive the car in my signature everyday.

Long story short, that is my first car, and I will not be selling it. It is a huge part of my life / hobby ( SCCA Autocross, Racing, etc. ) I haven't raced in a long time, but plan on getting back into it after I graduate.

I will not be selling the car, it does not cost me anything, and I will not sacrifice it. That's like me telling you guys to sell your guns you like, and keep the shittiest because they'll still get the job done.

-----------------------------------------------------

Gotta run.. but will reply later.

It would appear, from your statement above, that you are not as financially deficient as you would have us believe.

Now you proceed to bite the hands that fed you (at your request) advice.

Hopefully you haven't wasted fellow members efforts by crying "Wolf".

Stay in school.

Top Bottom