• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    First: Was brought up at a local gun store. Would mounting those magwell extention grips count as a foregrip on an ar pistol?

Second: If you have an ak wire side folder is it illeagal to put a vertical fore grip on it? I know the aks still function with the strock folded.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    You will only get opinions on the internet and you know what opinions are like....

If you truly want to do either of these and want to be as 100% sure as possible then you need to get an ATF tech letter.

Then at least you can say you asked and were told "this" by ATF and you will have the proof in writing.

My "opinion" would say the first question is probably a no-go and the second one is a go.

ATF Online - Firearms - Technology

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    First: Was brought up at a local gun store. Would mounting those magwell extention grips count as a foregrip on an ar pistol?

Second: If you have an ak wire side folder is it illeagal to put a vertical fore grip on it? I know the aks still function with the strock folded.

1st one is a very good question. I agree with Curraheeguns on this one, ATF is best to ask.

2nd one-- Even though it may be a sidefolder or even a bottom folder it's still considered a rifle.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My "opinion" would say the first question is probably a no-go and the second one is a go.

On the first, it would depend on what kind of "magwell extension grip" you're talking about. ATF has ruled that adding a second vertical grip to a pistol renders it an AOW.

Would ATF consider grip tape or a rubber material applied to the magwell to be a vertical grip? Unlikely.

This? Oh yeah.
    mvg1.jpg

These? Hello, gray area! But I'm betting they would.
    mgrip-carbine.jpg

MWG_full.jpg

On the AK, since it's a rifle (has a stock) not a pistol, adding a vertical grip to it wouldn't change its status. I owned a rifle in that very configuration for several years.

MkII_side.jpg

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    You will only get opinions on the internet and you know what opinions are like....

If you truly want to do either of these and want to be as 100% sure as possible then you need to get an ATF tech letter.

Then at least you can say you asked and were told "this" by ATF and you will have the proof in writing.

ATF Online - Firearms - Technology

:+1:for the info.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Is anyone aware of an ATF letter on this issue? I've seen some posted around on other tricky issues, like cane tips applied to the buffer tube of an AR pistol.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is anyone aware of an ATF letter on this issue? I've seen some posted around on other tricky issues, like cane tips applied to the buffer tube of an AR pistol.

Not specifically; the only one I've seen addresses vertical grips in general on pistols (making them AOWs).

Even if such a letter existed, it would:

1) only be applicable to the person to whom it is addressed
    2) be subject to reversal or "reinterpretation" by the BATFE at any time
    3) not be worth the paper it's printed on

Just don't do it.

My :twocents:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Not specifically; the only one I've seen addresses vertical grips in general on pistols (making them AOWs).

Just don't do it.

I didn't know that. ATF letters provide no cover in court?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I didn't know that. ATF letters provide no cover in court?

No, only public rulings and regulations carry the force of law. In the tax area, I recall one case from law school where the IRS issued a private letter ruling on a tax shelter proclaiming it legal, and a few months later prosecuted the same guy for using the shelter. The court's opinion was essentially, "tough, it's not law."

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house

Just don't do it.

I agree with this...
    I am totally against writing "is this legal " letters to the ATF...
    The letter they return to you means squat!
    If you cant understand the laws by reading the numerous NFA publications , specifically the NFA handbook, then you shouldnt be dabbling in what could be felony charges for you!!
    Letter writers do nothing but POKE THE BEAR !!!
    Poking the ATF bear does nothing but eventually force them into making rash Rulings on subjects such as this!
    do your homework
    Quit poking the bear & get a lawyer :patriot:
    :twocents:

Longshot308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Westfield, In
    You can put a pistol grip on a AK 47 type pistol if it is done by a Class 7 FFL and is registered as such-it will then transfer for the $5.00 tax stamp. If an individual applies for one, you will have to pay the $200 tax. Strange but true.

Top Bottom