• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    My stepson just phoned and said that while chasing a brake fluid leak, he found that the frame of his 2014 Sierra has a large hole in it under the cab drivers side (see photo). He said that he found another weak spot on the passenger side, also. He and his wife live up around the Anderson area, and I was wondering if there was any recommendations on frame repair shops up around there. There was evidently a recall for frame corrosion, so he's going to talk to the dealer about that, but I'd like to have some places to give him if it's not covered. Thanks.

hole.jpg

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    @AllenM,

Question on a flat pick up frame not boxed can you grind out the rust and fishplate?
    This one is not rusted though.
    Technically yes that can be done but usually rust isn't isolated to one area...Usually. I wont do it just because of the liability issue. Its more of a back yard repair

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Technically yes that can be done but usually rust isn't isolated to one area...Usually. I wont do it just because of the liability issue. Its more of a back yard repair
    Yeah a backyard project on my old tundra junk hauler fishing hunting truck.

Frame has surface rust deep in a few spots was gonna fish plate the worst areas and coat the rest.

Thanks for the advice!

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    10 years old, ouch!! I agree with Allen, any patch will be a patch and there will be other spots that will be weak. Best may be to part ways.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    ouch and only 10 years old! Looks like GM's wax coating strikes again. My '13 had a lot of surface rust and most of the coating was gone when I got rid it a year ago but nothing like this though.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I've posted it before. No longer have the Pic. Had a dodge ram 1500 fold like that on the rack before.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This problem, on Chevy's and toyota's just baffles me. Trucks that still have shiny sheet metal have no frames left.

Granted, the 1970's was a long time ago, but when I used to consider the Junk yard as a good source of parts, the place was full of frames. Cars that were so rusty that you could pull the rotten quarter panels off with a couple kicks of your boot and your bare hands, still had sturdy frames. The UNibody cars had no structure left, but anything with a frame was in one piece. What has gone wrong with our cars?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This problem, on Chevy's and toyota's just baffles me. Trucks that still have shiny sheet metal have no frames left.

Granted, the 1970's was a long time ago, but when I used to consider the Junk yard as a good source of parts, the place was full of frames. Cars that were so rusty that you could pull the rotten quarter panels off with a couple kicks of your boot and your bare hands, still had sturdy frames. The UNibody cars had no structure left, but anything with a frame was in one piece. What has gone wrong with our cars?
    Cheap steel for frames and modern chemical coatings that keep bodies corrosion down.

Reactions: Leo
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Had this to a happen to a GMC that a Marine had just bought in Michigan. This one had a transmission leak that I was looking for when it folded up. He was on his way to Paris Island. Dealer that sold it to him told him, "it wasn't his problem ". Brad Hubler took it in on trade, gave him full price and took 10k off the price of a new one to help him out. The Marine turned it into JAG, they got his money back and he gave it to Brad.
    It matters where the vehicle comes from. They use lots of road salt in Michigan.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Some of these newer trucks, the ones with problems are using thinner metal with box frames. They hold in water and moisture and rot out from the inside. They are making the metal thin and light so the vehicle can get better acceleration and mileage.

Many of these cars look great until you look under them. Plastic fenders, plastic door skins. Plastic trim over the rockers. Then when the rust is so bad the plastic trim is falling off it goes from looking excellent to trash.

Top Bottom