• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Hopefully this is not a repost (did a search and nothing came up) -- A few days old but I imagine it is still being conducted.

Troopers to ride in semi to watch for violators
    {07/22/2009}​

SELLERSBURG, Ind. (AP) — Indiana State Police troopers will be riding along in a semi as part of a new effort to keep watch for motorists whose driving might cause crashes.
    Troopers taking part in the ride-along program will ride in the passenger seat of a semi and watch for drivers who violate state traffic laws near commercial vehicles.
    The trooper will then call other officers in the area to stop the offending drivers.
    The Indiana Motor Truck Association is providing the semi tractor and trailer to be used in the program. State police say cars are the primary causes of crashes in 56 percent of accidents involving big trucks and cars.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Yeah my sister told me this.

Oh, but this is for acting in a way that may cause a crash. I don't do that. Speeding on the other hand...

Sweet! This is actually a relief.

Probably pretty easy to fight that one in court too. Who signs the ticket? When THAT officer comes to court, what's he going to testify to as a fact? That he pulled you over? He won't be able to give an account of what you did (in the other officer's OPINION) that was so dangerous. Is the truck driver going to show up? He's an expert I suppose?

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I just hope they aren't 100% focusing on passenger vehicles but rather other semi's that are driving recklessly also. I don't know how many times I've seen semi's driving in the left lane with nobody to the right of them. I mean they have to see the 30 vehicles lined up behind them. I think a law needs to be passed saying NO semi's are aloud to be in the far left lane other than to get over do to a road hazard / LEO on the side of the road, unless they are approaching an exit that happens to be out of the left lane. If a semi is doing the speed limit there should be no reason another semi attempts to pass.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Read that again. They are being sponsored by the Motor Truck Association. I doubt very HIGHLY that they are going to go after other semis.

Semis don't need protection. If they'd stay out of the leftmost lanes then people wouldn't cut in front of them to pass.

The other day I saw a semi wedge himself in between two cars in the left lane, quickly and suddenly. You know why? A semi was stopped on the road half a mile ahead. He's trying to be "safe" ya know? FFS he almost caused an accident in order to prevent a little wind from his truck blowing dust off the other semi.

Who says I can't cut in front of a semi? When I DO do that, I'm pushing the pedal pretty hard and moving faster and out of his way. No harm there IMHO.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Sponsored or not sponsored if a law is broken it will be dealt with accordingly. Just like saying I'm a member of the Fraternal Order of Police, I'm aloud to drive like a maniac and get away with it because I have a FOP sticker in my back window.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Who says I can't cut in front of a semi? When I DO do that, I'm pushing the pedal pretty hard and moving faster and out of his way. No harm there IMHO.

Depends on a lot of situational things, but here's the gist: when you're in a 40,000 pound vehicle, it doesn't stop on a dime. Someone cuts in front of you, they turn you into a tailgater even when you had plenty of distance before. They might reflexively tap their breaks, they might not, but either way it's hell on the nerves.

Both of my wife's parents are professional truck drivers, and the stories they tell about people in "four wheelers" giving them near heart attacks would fill a book.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Oh? Better than the guys who want to teach the kids with paintball guns a lesson by shooting them.

I guess since you have no idea what I'm talking about, you have no room to talk. You think I'm talking about a semi driving under the speed limit in the left lane? Nope. Talking about stuff much more serious.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    no one knows what your talking about your in right field picking the flowers buddy. But its fun watching.

Have fun with your anger.lol

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Part of my job is driving Semi's. I can personally attest to almost wiping out 2 cars today. One pulled out, I guess thinking that the car in front was going to speed up faster. I litterly had to lock up my brakes to keep from hitting him.
    I don't condone truckers "teaching 4 wheelers a lesson". But after I started driving (4 years now), I've had my eyes opened on what truckers have to deal with. I don't think anyone fully realizes the impact of "cutting off" a truck until you've ridden in one when it happens.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My personal experience with "big" trucks is limited to driving the 24' moving truck from Detroit to Oklahoma City. I think I aged 5 years in 3 days, most of it due to the way folks in cars behaved.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    ibtl.jpg

:popcorn:

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    One of my friends was called out to a 5 vehicle accident on I-69 this afternoon. I'll have to ask him if any trucks were involved when he gets back. I get scared by some of the crazy people on the road while driving amongst semis. It seems that most of the craziness is due to irresponsible cell phone usage.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    irresponsible cell phone usage.
    100% agree... I'm not saying it's ALWAYS the semi's causing problems on the roads because most of the time it's people that dont have patience when it comes to getting to where they are going or "are too busy talking on their cells / texting" I've never been in a semi to know what goes on but I've been in plenty of moving trucks to know how it must feel.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    The accident I mentioned earlier was a car vs. semi (I don't know who was at fault). The driver, and passenger, of the car were transported to the hospital; the truck driver was fine. There were two more accidents (three more vehicles) resulting from idiots who don't understand that a car with pretty flashing lights, and a nice man directing traffic, means that they need to merge into the far lane to avoid debris and emergency vehicles.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Depends on a lot of situational things, but here's the gist: when you're in a 40,000 pound vehicle, it doesn't stop on a dime. Someone cuts in front of you, they turn you into a tailgater even when you had plenty of distance before. They might reflexively tap their breaks, they might not, but either way it's hell on the nerves.

Both of my wife's parents are professional truck drivers, and the stories they tell about people in "four wheelers" giving them near heart attacks would fill a book.

40,000 pound truck? unless it is empty MOST trucks can haul about 90K if I recall, plus the weight of the rig you are talking closer to 120K or 60 TONS of vehicle. ;)

Greg

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    40,000 pound truck? unless it is empty MOST trucks can haul about 90K if I recall, plus the weight of the rig you are talking closer to 120K or 60 TONS of vehicle. ;)

Greg
    In Indiana, you can't operate a vehicle over 80,000 lbs (total gross weight) without a permit. Even then, a maximum weight of 90,000 lbs is allowed on heavy duty highways. On extra heavy duty highways a total weight of up to 134,000 lbs is allowed with a permit. Although, I'm sure that these rules aren't always followed, I don't know how many CDL holders would risk the suspension of their license and vehicle registration over a weight violation.

IC 9-20-5: Heavy and Extra Heavy Duty Highways

IC 9-20-4: General Weight Restrictions

IC 9-20-18: Penalties and Enforcement

Just throwin' out some info... ;)

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    People are idiots. Until you have driven or ridden in a vehicle they will not understand the amount of momentum and force required to start and stop.

Perhaps the troopers should explain their rationale in the following terms:

"Truckers haul our food and clothing from all points in this country to essentially our doorstep so we can maintain our current lifestyles of leisure and obesity. Want to keep eating and consuming like hogs? Give the truckers some room"
    :rockwoot:

Top Bottom