• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    So I know that the following states along my route do not honor Indiana's LTCH:

Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia...

This makes up a large portion of my trip. My question to you guys/gals, is what are my legal options for transporting my handgun to NC with me?

Thanks!

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    yea i stated in my OP which states do not honor the Indiana LTCH, my question was more along the lines of, "Can I take it in the trunk with gun + ammo in separate bags?"

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am REALLY sure OHIO does NOT allow out of state carry permit holders......
    They do not allow off duty police to carry....... call ohio highway patrol and ask,
    or call ISP and ask if they know!!!

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I am REALLY sure OHIO does NOT allow out of state carry permit holders......
    They do not allow off duty police to carry....... call ohio highway patrol and ask,
    or call ISP and ask if they know!!!
    Really? I would have thought HB218 would have over ruled that sort of nonsense.

Buckaroo

JUMBO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    there is other ways to get to nc my sis inlaw lives there and the major prob is west va if i remember correctly. look, a few more hours is worth the price if you need yer gun and dont have it how ya gonna protect yerself. my two cents. it better to have and not need it than need it and not have it! i aint no lawyer and this is my opinion and not advice. check out handgunlaws.us as stated previous and if ya have ta call up each state police, some will give ya the run around but be firm and assertive and you will get answers.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I believe there is a federal law that states you can have a handgun locked up in your car with ammo separated (even if it wouldn't be legal at your current location) SO LONG AS IT IS LEGAL FOR YOU TO HAVE IT IN YOUR CAR AT YOUR ORIGINATION AND DESTINATION POINT. This would mean absolutely no stopping while in those "bad" states for any reason (gas, food, etc.)

Can someone reference this law directly as I forget exactly what the law is.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    here is more info on the federal interstate gun transportation information:

NRA-ILA ::

EDIT:

The Federal Transportation Law

Concerning the interstate transportation of firearms, federal law provides at 18 USCS § 926A:

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter [18 USCS §§ 921 et seq.] from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Under this law, to legally transport a firearm interstate all the following need apply:

(1) You are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm
    (2) It is lawful to possess AND carry the firearm in the place of origin
    (3) It is lawful to possess AND carry the firearm in the place of destination
    (4) The firearm must be unloaded
    (5) The firearm and any ammunition are not readily accessible OR directly accessible from the passenger compartment (if not possible see below)

Note: In vehicles without a trunk separate from the passenger compartment any firearms AND ammunition must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I believe there is a federal law that states you can have a handgun locked up in your car with ammo separated (even if it wouldn't be legal at your current location) SO LONG AS IT IS LEGAL FOR YOU TO HAVE IT IN YOUR CAR AT YOUR ORIGINATION AND DESTINATION POINT. This would mean absolutely no stopping while in those "bad" states for any reason (gas, food, etc.)

Can someone reference this law directly as I forget exactly what the law is.

here is more info on the federal interstate gun transportation information:

NRA-ILA ::

Here's the specific statute:

Code of Federal Regulations

Title 18 > Part I > Chapter 44 > § 926a
    § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Release date: 20050803
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any
    political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
    transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any
    lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any
    other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation
    the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily
    accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
    Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the
    glove compartment or console.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Go through Kentucky (avoid Ohio).
    Get plenty of rest.
    Stay off the phone.
    Conceal as well as you can.
    Make as few stops as possible.
    Follow the 4 rules of weapon safety.
    Make your stops as short as possible.
    Drive the speed limit & follow all traffic laws.
    Don't talk to anyone you don't have to talk to.

Long term: get a Utah or Florida license, or a license recognized by the states you'll go through in the future.

SSGSAD, please research and find documentation before you post your opinion. According to the Reciprocity Agreements there are several states' licenses that Ohio does recognize, and as buckaroo mentioned, federal law requires all states to recognize all police credentials as a license to carry off duty.

Merry Christmas.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    thanks for the specific statutes guys! it sounds like having it locked up in the trunk with the gun and ammo separate and unloaded will work just fine.

I have nothing to back this up, but I have heard that some states consider a loaded mag to be the same as a loaded gun.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Ok, I'm a geek. Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
    Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
    (K) As used in this section:
    (1)”Motor vehicle,” “street,” and “highway” have the same meanings as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.
    (2)”Occupied structure” has the same meaning as in section 2909.01 of the Revised Code.
    (3) “Agriculture” has the same meaning as in section 519.01 of the Revised Code.
    (4)”Tenant” has the same meaning as in section 1531.01 of the Revised Code.
    (5)”Unloaded” means any of the following:
    (a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.
    (b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.
    (6) “Commercial motor vehicle” has the same meaning as in division (A) of section 4506.25 of the Revised Code.
    (7) “Motor carrier enforcement unit” means the motor carrier enforcement unit in the department of public safety, division of state highway patrol, that is created by section 5503.34 of the Revised Code.

So Nalees, are we making your nose bleed yet?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So Nalees, are we making your nose bleed yet?

And therein lies the debate between States' Rights and national reciprocity. I would love to see more simplified gun laws across states, but you run the risk of getting Cali's laws and not Alaska's.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    yea all of the "legalise" (the way these documents are worded) drives me nuts. hence why i came to my experts to find out the truth! i really appreciate all of your help!

Top Bottom