• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Once again, the government is deciding what is "best" for us without any forethought of the consequences, and once again, responsible citizens are being forced to pay for the actions of irresponsible citizens.

We were notified that beginning around the end of next month, we will be "given" (guarantee it ain't free) a single 96 gallon trash can to which we MUST use to put our trash out by the curb. Up until now, we have always been allowed up to 10 items - whether it's a can, a bag or a bundle of branches - each counts as one item. With the new can, we will be limited to what will fit in the can. On average, about every other week, we either hit or come close to reaching our limit of items. We have a large yard with lots of trees, shrubs and flower beds. It generates a large amount of "yard waste". I don't bag my grass, and I mulch my leaves, so I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about sticks and twigs from the trees, trimmings from the shrubs, and weeds from the flower beds. And if there's any kind of wind storm, then we often have more than 10 bundles of branches and have to spread it out over a couple of weeks to get rid of it.

This new policy is supposed to (quoting the Mayor's Action Committee), "reduce illegal dumping and keep alley ways free from trash". So, can someone explain to me how picking up LESS trash is going to make alley ways cleaner (we don't have alleys in our neighborhood btw) or reduce illegal dumping? They won't pick up anything that's not in the container, so it seems to me that it's going to INCREASE illegal dumping, and any trash that won't fit in the containers will just lay on the ground. I guess I will just have to start burning my lawn debris. That will probably result in someone calling the fire department. The fire department has big trucks. Maybe they will haul it away for me.

I know what I'd like to do... find the addresses of all the city council members that voted for this, and haul my crap over to their yard and let them deal with it. I won't of course, because I am a responsible citizen. A responsible citizen that is being penalized for following the rules and keeping my property looking nice. :soapbox:

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    You don't see how each house having 1 dumpster (as opposed to 10 random bundles) will make less trash in the alleys?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You don't see how each house having 1 dumpster (as opposed to 10 random bundles) will make less trash in the alleys?

No. What happens to the trash that won't fit in the can? If people are dumping stuff in the alley, then they need to go after the dumpers with fines and enforcement, not make people like me pay for their transgressions. I only set our trash out the morning before it's picked up, so it's not laying beside the street for a week. I keep my garbage cans in our garage, so critters don't get into them. I don't have room in my garage for those 96 gallon monstrosities, so it will be sitting outside, and most likely, critters WILL get into it. If they want to use those containers for folks that don't have a garage, and live on alley ways, fine. But it should still be voluntary, and people abusing it should be penalized.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I hear you. I've lived out in the country for like, ever but now I'm stuck in a town that has all the stupid rules.

Can't shoot.
    Can't burn my trash or leaves or anything.
    No well or septic so I'm paying for water and sewer.
    Can't shoot.
    Can't dig without a permit.
    Can't fix the house without a permit.
    Can't shoot.
    Can't park on my lawn, front or back.
    Not suppose to work on your vehicle unless in the garage.
    Can't shoot.
    Can't do yard work naked.

I can't wait to find some property in the boonies again. :(

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They also allow you to get another trash can if you are consistently over the capacity of your single can.

Will they give me 5 or 6? Because that's how many I would need. Currently, a bundle of branches can be up to 4' long and up to 3' in diameter. If I have 10 bundles... well, you do the math.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hear you. I've lived out in the country for like, ever but now I'm stuck in a town that has all the stupid rules.

Can't shoot.
    Can't burn my trash or leaves or anything.
    No well or septic so I'm paying for water and sewer.
    Can't shoot.
    Can't dig without a permit.
    Can't fix the house without a permit.
    Can't shoot.
    Can't park on my lawn, front or back.
    Not suppose to work on your vehicle unless in the garage.
    Can't shoot.
    Can't do yard work naked.

I can't wait to find some property in the boonies again. :(

Oh, we're going to have sewers put in in the next couple of years I'm sure. I have a perfectly functioning septic system and well. I'm not happy about that either. If they feel they need to run the sewer and water lines, that's fine. I'll not be happy about my yard being torn up, but I can repair that. Hooking up to it should be voluntary though, until such time that they can prove to me that my septic system and well are posing a harm.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My in-laws have the same issue. The "can" is so large, it won't roll through the side door to the garage, or through the overhead door if the car is parked inside. The "neighborhood" doesn't want the cans sitting outside. So... they leave it outside anyway.

Besides the fact, that once full, neither of my in-laws can move the darned thing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Policy is not written for you. It is written for all of you.

Putting it all in the trash can is more efficient and requires fewer city employees.

No, policy is written for those that are abusing the current policy, just like gun control. Because some idiot goes out and shoots up a school, the law abiding are penalized with stricter gun control laws. This is exactly the same. Go after the abusers, not the law abiding.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I don't have an alley, and my bundles are packed up tight. Next? I can shoot down any excuse you give me I'm pretty sure.

Can you make sure everyone your trash company services is as neat and tidy as you..or do you want special rules just for you?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Most municipalities have an opt out option which allows you to engage the firm of your choice. I personally am tired of all the over-users who pay the same as other households but regularly put out 5 to 10 cams / bags / bundles. You shouldn't be putting that much yard waste into a landfill anyway. It just speeds up the closure and need for a new one.

I have always supported a "use charge" for refuse pick-up. Being single, I generate a single 13 gall0n kitchen bag of trash each week on average. if I do yard work I mulch most of it in my property but will put larger limbs in the bin. Even so, I have rarely used more than one bin. I actually have two as I live in a duplex, using both sides. Thus I also pay twice as much as a regular household for the service. I would support adding scales to the truck and charging by the pound.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They also allow you to [STRIKE]get[/STRIKE] BUY another trash can if you are consistently over the capacity of your single can.

FIFY

I hear ya DD. I'm livid too. And so are some of my distant neighbors. They live in a HOA. HOA says trash cans must be taken IN by a certain time on trash day and cant be left outside. EVER. (except between 7a-8p trash day, smarta**) Cant fit these cans in the garage due to things like lawnmowers and cars in the way. They cant build a minibarn to store the yard tools either.

I cant fit one of those cans past my car, but at least I can build a storage spot on the side of the house by putting down a small deck and surrounding it with privacy fence panels. (I live in the non HOA section)

I'm with you. Its all about controlling the amount of garbage we are allowed to generate. 8 bags is the limit right now. No way in HELL 8 bags will fit in even TWO of those cans. And if you cant fit it in? What are you going to do about it? If you are dishonest, go dump it somewhere.

I want somebody who made this decision to look me in the eye and explain how in the hell this will cut down on illegal dumping. It makes even less sense than GFZs!

And if you cant fit it all in the can, you can reduce the garbage by subscribing to the recycling program. But that costs extra and they dont pick up every week. I think I read they pick up every other week and many who do it complain they cant keep track of which week is recycling week because if there is a holiday recycling doesnt operate on a sliding schedule but trips to the next week, which can throw off the schedule. (some months its the first and third week, but if there is a holiday it becomes the second and fourth:scratch:)

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Most municipalities have an opt out option which allows you to engage the firm of your choice. I personally am tired of all the over-users who pay the same as other households but regularly put out 5 to 10 cams / bags / bundles. You shouldn't be putting that much yard waste into a landfill anyway. It just speeds up the closure and need for a new one.

I have always supported a "use charge" for refuse pick-up. Being single, I generate a single 13 gall0n kitchen bag of trash each week on average. if I do yard work I mulch most of it in my property but will put larger limbs in the bin. Even so, I have rarely used more than one bin. I actually have two as I live in a duplex, using both sides. Thus I also pay twice as much as a regular household for the service. I would support adding scales to the truck and charging by the pound.

Wait, so now you're telling me I should cut down my beautiful trees because they're "messy"? They're not plastic trees. The branches will compost. As for disagreeing with people that use the service more paying the same as you, well I feel the same way about my property taxes going to fund schools. I have no children. Why should I pay for those that do?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    When my brothers' neighborhood got those new cans, a few neighbors wanted to see if the truck could pick them up when filled with water. Yep, it picked them up but struggled for a while then whoosh. It took 5 long hoses to go across and down the street but we don't know anything about that.
    The one they filled with quikrete though, it didn't get dumped.

For weeks the guy would go around kicking the cans to check first.

EDIT-This was in CA and back when those cans and dumping arms first came out so I'm sure they have figured it all out by now. And I am in no way telling you how to play tricks in your neighborhoods. It was priceless though.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    FIFY

I hear ya DD. I'm livid too. And so are some of my distant neighbors. They live in a HOA. HOA says trash cans must be taken IN by a certain time on trash day. Cant fit these cans in the garage due to things like lawnmowers and cars in the way. They cant build a minibarn to store the yard tools.

I cant fit one of those cans past my car, but at least I can build a storage spot on the side of the house by putting down a small deck and surrounding it with privacy fence panels. (I live in the non HOA section)

I'm with you. Its all about controlling the amount of garbage we are allowed to generate. 8 bags is the limit right now. No way in HELL 8 bags will fit in even TWO of those cans. And if you cant fit it in? What are you going to do about it? If you are dishonest, go dump it somewhere.

I want somebody who made this decision to look me in the eye and explain how in the hell this will cut down on illegal dumping. It makes even less sense than GFZs!

And if you cant fit it all in the can, you can reduce the garbage by subscribing to the recycling program. But that costs extra and they dont pick up every week. I think I read they pick up every other week and many who do it complain they cant keep track of which week is recycling week because if there is a holiday recycling doesnt operate on a sliding schedule but trips to the next week, which can throw off the schedule. (some months its the first and third week, but if there is a holiday it becomes the second and fourth:scratch:)

Amen. And recycling is a losing proposition anyway. I believe it should be done - and so I haul ours to the local drop station. But it costs money to recycle, so any savings they might realize in the reduced amount of trash being picked up will be offset by the cost of processing that recycling.

Top Bottom