• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is there a reason to be concerned with what the State Police thinks? If it is legal, what does it matter? Does the state Police, as an organization, even issue opinions on such things?

IANAL, but I believe arming teachers is totally legal already in Indiana. The caveat is the school/board must approve it. Again, smarter legal minds than mine should chime in, but I believe the school/board can approve anyone they choose to be armed in the school. Teachers, administrators, security guards, janitors, etc.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    IANAL, but I believe arming teachers is totally legal already in Indiana. The caveat is the school/board must approve it. Again, smarter legal minds than mine should chime in, but I believe the school/board can approve anyone they choose to be armed in the school. Teachers, administrators, security guards, janitors, etc.

I am 99.9% sure you are correct.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

Sounds good to me. I'm still curious where the feelings of the state police come in to play. If it isn't illegal, should the state police have feelings about it?

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I should have done more googling before asking my question.

The State Police provide an active shooter response class. As this class is provided to educators, I am (was) curious about their position. Because someone SHOULD be asking them in these classes -- What about armed teachers?

Looking at their notes, they teach "You should seek to prevent contact with the shooter. Your options areto Escape/Run or Lockdown/Hide! As a last resort to Fight!" See page 19 at the bottom of the notes for slide 30.

The entire presentation is located here ISP: Active Shooter Preparedness

They do talk about having a plan, practicing that plan, and empowering staff.

This is one reason why I was asking about ISP. How do they respond to the question about armed teachers?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It might be helpful if the State Police felt like it was a good idea to arm teachers. Not sure they would weigh in on such a political idea.

Top Bottom