• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Back right after Sandy Hook, I believe, there was firearm instruction that was offered free to teachers who would be allowed to carry within their school buildings. Does anyone remember who was offering this training, I'd like to get a hold of them for more information before our next school board meeting?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Rayne, that was offered by Guy Relford. He offered to do the NRA Personal Protection series for free. Just FYI I am also certified in that curriculum as well and extended an offer to help. It would be easy to put these classes together at South Central and I would personally donate my time.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Rayne, that was offered by Guy Relford. He offered to do the NRA Personal Protection series for free. Just FYI I am also certified in that curriculum as well and extended an offer to help. It would be easy to put these classes together at South Central and I would personally donate my time.

I'm in, however I'm able to help...

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick response. Now a second question, does anyone know how many schools already allow school officials to carry a firearm or where I could find this information?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick response. Now a second question, does anyone know how many schools already allow school officials to carry a firearm or where I could find this information?

None that I am aware in Indiana. Read about one in Texas. But Jackson County might go for it.

I don't want to speak out of turn without consulting with other people. But you already have the offer of a donation of my time and liability insurance. I am pretty sure I can secure the backing of the range facilities. :cool: I bet I can find volunteer ROs and instructors. In fact a group of certified instructors went through the course materials just 2 weeks ago. The idea was to gear up for companies or organizations who might want to arm employees. We have even given some thought as to what a 40 hour curriculum would look like. The pieces are all in place. I bet we could make this thing happen.

Most would not know this but I have attended a lot of different types of training. The NRA series with the right instructors would be very well suited for what you are proposing. It is well suited because it is somewhat standardized and nationally recognized. I also require people to pass the FBI shooting qualification for the advanced certificate. The other course would be the standardized ILEA active shooter training. I call it IARD (immediate action rapid deployment) but not sure if that is the official title. Just so happens one of my co-instructors is certified LEO for this training.

I would also also encourage some type of medical or trauma training. Red Cross maybe?

Last edited:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I have been in contact with a school board member and we are discussing bringing this subject up at the next school board meeting on October 13. I wanted to have as much information in hand as possible to present to them. Would you like to come to the school board meeting with me to propose this endeavor?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have been in contact with a school board member and we are discussing bringing this subject up at the next school board meeting on October 13. I wanted to have as much information in hand as possible to present to them. Would you like to come to the school board meeting with me to propose this endeavor?

You know the answer is yes. Now my recommendation is to take this conversation off an open forum. But I will leave my personal number for all to see. 812-530-1266

busy busy at work but anyone is welcome to call me.

Nate

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I know for a fact that State Representative Lucas and Guy Relford met with the Seymour School Board about this very issue. Free training was offered and it had the full support of local law officials, but the board turned them down flat.
    Keep plugging away and continue to point out how deadly and dangerous these "Gun Free Zones" are for those that obey laws, yet are made defenseless victims by them!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It is my recollection that Crawfordsville Schools allow administrators to have a gun locked in the school office. I also want to say there was another school corporation considering it. I cannot swear to the Crawfordsville thing but I seem to remember it.

Michael Dorn, when he speaks at the Indiana School Safety Conference, speaks against the notion of arming teachers. When Col. Dave Grossman speaks at the same conference he points out that a number states have been quietly arming teachers without much fanfare. Same conference with separate opinions.

Arming teachers needs to happen but it is going to be a long difficult process.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    On a related note, Ben Carson is clearly trying to develop some hard core RKBA bona fides lately. He's been advocating allowing teachers to be armed in schools.

That's huge and bodes well for all.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    None that I am aware in Indiana.

And here I thought you were aware. :D We have three school systems as clients. One is actively carrying, one in the training process and one in the development process. The only NRA training they get is basic pistol, which we require. The rest is modular and can include a wide variety of training based on client need which may include active shooter training for the students and staff beyond the firearm portion. While we do teach NRA programs, we find the NRA programs greatly lacking for this particular application.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    And here I thought you were aware. :D We have three school systems as clients. One is actively carrying, one in the training process and one in the development process. The only NRA training they get is basic pistol, which we require. The rest is modular and can include a wide variety of training based on client need which may include active shooter training for the students and staff beyond the firearm portion. While we do teach NRA programs, we find the NRA programs greatly lacking for this particular application.

That is encouraging to hear that there are some school corporations that allow carry. I do think that active shooter training should be a requirement. If nothing else to see how police would be responding.

Here's a link to my AAR of TDI's chive shooter training class. They also do National Association of School Resource Officer (NASRO) training. This is not directly related, but it is one type of training that may be applicable to a school setting.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-active-killer-shooter-response-training.html

Looks like TDI might be leading the charge.

Top Bottom