• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Speaking of preparedness, should a similar chemical release happen around us, what kind of breathing gear would you need to be safe?

Are there filters that would handle these kind of chemicals or would you need air tanks?
    Following for mask suggestions although don't forget all the nasties that can be absorbed through the skin. Also, you are relying on information from government entities to make decisions and that information could be true or false depending on who is deciding what statements to release and how inept the government people are. Add to the corporate greed focused on minimizing their liability.

So many preppers make their bug out bags for living in the woods. You are more likely to face an evacuation of an area but the rest of civilization will still exist. Have your BOB ready to live in a hotel in another town for a week. That includes what you might need for work/communications while you are unable to access your home.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Following for mask suggestions although don't forget all the nasties that can be absorbed through the skin. Also, you are relying on information from government entities to make decisions and that information could be true or false depending on who is deciding what statements to release and how inept the government people are. Add to the corporate greed focused on minimizing their liability.

So many preppers make their bug out bags for living in the woods. You are more likely to face an evacuation of an area but the rest of civilization will still exist. Have your BOB ready to live in a hotel in another town for a week. That includes what you might need for work/communications while you are unable to access your home.
    This is what we used at work for nasty vapors.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    This is what we used at work for nasty vapors.

Me as well. This was not a very fun day. Spray foamed my entire crawlspace,with not much room to work in. It would have be dangerous to deadly to do without a mask. Cleaning the foam off the mask was....challenging.

DSC02698.JPG

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Representative Ilhan Omar has canceled a planned rally to support the victims of the East Palestine chemical spill after learning East Palestine is actually in America.

"Oh... East Palestine is just a small town in Ohio? Is that where all the white people live?" said a disappointed Omar to her brother while they were out on a Valentine's Day date. "Who cares about Ohio? Some trains did something. Who cares?"

Sources say the planned rally was going to raise funds for the thousands of people who are getting sick and dying after hostile forces burned thousands of gallons of toxic chemicals and poisoned the water for miles around. "That sounds like something the evil Zionists would do," said Omar. "I was looking forward to leading a 'Death to Israel' chant! Bummer!"

At publishing time, Omar had blamed the train derailment and ensuing ecological disaster on the Jews.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So did the hot spot detector pick up the fire, and everyone thinks it was picking up a bad wheel like it's supposed to do? Someone was the scapegoat for a bad wheel.

Edit: I'm going to call bad wheel here. NTSB said the crew got the alert and did an emergency brake set. This would bump the cars into each other behind the dragging car. A slow stop may have kept them on track.
    I'm skeptical. The 'hot spot detector' I'm most concerned about was the one 20 miles up the line from New Palestine, which is also where the security camera footage showing sparks and red hot running gear is from. If they received a warning from that, either a slow stop or emergency brake set would have played out long before they reached New Palestine

If they got a warning and ignored it hang them. If they received no warning until New Palestine (the location of the next detector) because the previous detector was OTS, dig into the records to see how long it was allowed to be out of service. They are supposed to be fixed immediately, and if it is a staffing or hiring issue that prevented it or just negligence, hang the railroad (even worse than they are already going to hang)

And while they're digging, find out how many of these hot spot detectors nationwide are in need of repair and how long that takes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    There are claims that Vinyl Chloride gas is mutagenic at 1ppm but can't be smelled until it reaches 10ppm. I have not confirmed this. But if true, yikes. Poison one cannot smell until it's 10x it base poison level. The effects of this incident are going to be felt for quite awhile locally and downstream/wind.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm skeptical. The 'hot spot detector' I'm most concerned about was the one 20 miles up the line from New Palestine, which is also where the security camera footage showing sparks and red hot running gear is from. If they received a warning from that, either a slow stop or emergency brake set would have played out long before they reached New Palestine

If they got a warning and ignored it hang them. If they received no warning until New Palestine (the location of the next detector) because the previous detector was OTS, dig into the records to see how long it was allowed to be out of service. They are supposed to be fixed immediately, and if it is a staffing or hiring issue that prevented it or just negligence, hang the railroad (even worse than they are already going to hang)

And while they're digging, find out how many of these hot spot detectors nationwide are in need of repair and how long that takes

Already I am seeing "reports" this is Trumps fault as he cut train and track repairs out of the budget and lowered maintenance standards for train companies.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There are claims that Vinyl Chloride gas is mutagenic at 1ppm but can't be smelled until it reaches 10ppm. I have not confirmed this. But if true, yikes. Poison one cannot smell until it's 10x it base poison level. The effects of this incident are going to be felt for quite awhile locally and downstream/wind.
    doubly cautious depending on how they quantify the carcinogen. Knowing how some of the studies are performed, Im not totally on board. e.g. they use rats for cancer testing, and rats have a predisposition to cancers. Even without exposure to anything.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I think if you are prepping for a chemical hazard such as this one, you probably need to go "full CBRNE" to the extent you can. Full face masks with the best assortment of filters you can find; tyvek coveralls w/hood; butyl gloves; plenty of duct-tape to seal everything. It's not that you would necessarily NEED all that stuff for an incident, but having it handy (and knowing how to use it) could be literally life-saving.

Masks/filters are expensive, but the tyvek coveralls w/hood & gloves (and booties, depending upon your normal footwear) are not that expensive to keep on hand & you should be able to find them at your local Home Depot, Lowes, or equivalent.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There are three companies )logistics) that handle toxic and nontoxic chemicals and LNG on rail cars which require refrigeration on the tankers) After this wreck there will be two companies that handle toxic and non toxic chemicals and LNG on rail cars.

Could have been over worked rail workers not greasing the wheel hubs on the rail cars. (No strike)

Have heard the chemicals were also mislabeled but zero proof of that claim. (The rail tankers would be hard to examine now)

Have heard sabotage but once again from less than reliable people as a terrorist attack. (I side more on weak infrastructure and maintenance than terrorism)

I feel badly for the people exposed who were not asked to evacuate the area. I believe at first only within a mile then after dogs cats and cows died the shelter in place became an evacuation up to five mile distance. Those houses are unsellable and many have generational wealth health and piece of mind.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sadly this is what happens when government loses it "credibility". People just don't know what to believe these days so no one wants to risk being around that area regardless if the data is accurate or not. All things considered, I can't say as I blame them.

Hydrochloric acid is what is doing most of the irritation to people and animals, in addition to being part of the cargo it's one of the byproducts of vinyl chloride combustion. Probably dropping the PH of the water and killing the fish until it gets diluted. When you breathe the fumes it causes a burning in your respiratory passages.

Top Bottom