• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I wouldn't mind him taking vacation all the time...
    IF THINGS WERE WORKING.

I seem to remember Trump being attacked for vacations.
    But it wasn't as much, and things were working.
    I remember all the golf games Trump did, hundreds of them instead of working…. According to the media, wow. So I researched it. Seems after work Trump would play a couple holes and have dinner, media counted that as entire games away from work.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    IMO it isn't that. It's because they are little people in flyover country who didn't vote for him - and it wouldn't shock me if Norfolk - Southern was greasing his palm to avoid the worst parts of their responsibility

Even when it comes to people he does care somewhat about, notice that he won't move already appropriated money from other allocations to increase funding to FEMA, he's going to play politics and set up a vote with additional FEMA funding and likely additional unpalatable stuff in order to place Republicans in an awkward position while allowing FEMA's ability to help anyone to wither in the meantime
    Railroads have a long history of being above the law. Early US policy was centered on railroad expansion at the expense of individual or indigenous rights.
    That practice was problematic then but railroads continue to operate as if they are an independent entity, not subject to other DOT regulations or State laws.
    My grandfather worked for L&N railroad for 55 years. I don't think he would recognize what the industry has become. I'm glad he doesn't have to.

MH

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Toxic chemicals released during fires following the Norfolk Southern train derailment in Ohio last year spread to 16 states and likely Canada, according to a study released Wednesday.

The pollution, some of which came from the burning of vinyl chloride, a carcinogen, spread over 540,000 square miles, showing clearly that "the impacts of the fire were larger in scale and scope than the initial predictions," the authors of the study, published in Environmental Research Letters, found.

The new study helps explain the wider environmental impact. The researchers looked at inorganic compound samples in rain and snow at 260 sites. The highest levels of chloride were found in northern Pennsylvania and near the Canada-New York border, which was downwind from the accident.

The authors also found "exceptionally high" pH levels in rain as far away as northern Maine. They did not look at organic compounds such as dioxin or PFAS, which likely also spread following the accident

Glad I am not near the river or downwind. Feel bad for those who are.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Toxic chemicals released during fires following the Norfolk Southern train derailment in Ohio last year spread to 16 states and likely Canada, according to a study released Wednesday.

The pollution, some of which came from the burning of vinyl chloride, a carcinogen, spread over 540,000 square miles, showing clearly that "the impacts of the fire were larger in scale and scope than the initial predictions," the authors of the study, published in Environmental Research Letters, found.

The new study helps explain the wider environmental impact. The researchers looked at inorganic compound samples in rain and snow at 260 sites. The highest levels of chloride were found in northern Pennsylvania and near the Canada-New York border, which was downwind from the accident.

The authors also found "exceptionally high" pH levels in rain as far away as northern Maine. They did not look at organic compounds such as dioxin or PFAS, which likely also spread following the accident

Glad I am not near the river or downwind. Feel bad for those who are.
    I believe most here knew this was going to happen.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm going to have to ask how poly fluorinated chemicals come from burning vinyl chloride.
    There's no fluorine in it. Dioxins are joined benzene rings, how those rings are assembled from vinyl chloride and then joined in a fire I don't know. There would have had to be other things in that fire to cause these to be by products of the fire.

One thing that most certainly comes from the decomposition of vinyl chloride is hydrochloric acid, commonly known as muriatic or pool acid. This would cause changes in PH of any water it came in contact with and would aggravate breathing when inhaled.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm going to have to ask how poly fluorinated chemicals come from burning vinyl chloride.
    There's no fluorine in it. Dioxins are joined benzene rings, how those rings are assembled from vinyl chloride and then joined in a fire I don't know. There would have had to be other things in that fire to cause these to be by products of the fire.

One thing that most certainly comes from the decomposition of vinyl chloride is hydrochloric acid, commonly known as muriatic or pool acid. This would cause changes in PH of any water it came in contact with and would aggravate breathing when inhaled.
    Benzene leaked from two cars that derailed. They then released vinyl chloride(after the fire was started) from 4 cars to burn it off , supposedly so they would not explode.

The other cars we know nothing about(only 6 of the 22 burned liquid transport cars have any information about them publicly known, but benzene was certainly in 2 of them). As for all the rest even the city has not gotten the information from the railroad or EPA about everything that was carried/leaked in their town. Not to worry the EPA said they where given all information available and that they needed.
    63ebb07464d0880018eb275d.jpg

Found some others listed.
    • Vinyl chloride. This gas is used to create PVC (polyvinyl chloride) pipes, construction materials, packaging and other products, according to the EPA. It was involved in the controlled burn conducted after the derailment.
    • Isobutylene. This gas can be used in the production of butyl rubber, antioxidants for foods and plastics, and aviation gasoline, according to the National Library of Medicine.
    • Butyl acrylate. This liquid is used to make paints, adhesives, sealants and other products, according to the National Library of Medicine.
    • Benzene. This liquid has a wide range of uses, according to the EPA, including as a solvent and in the manufacture of goods like detergents and explosives. This chemical was not transported on the train at the time of the derailment, but officials said residue from previous shipments remained on the train cars, the Associated Press reported.
    • Ethylhexyl acrylate. This liquid is used in the manufacturing of paints and plastics, according to the National Library of Medicine.
    • Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether. This liquid is used as a solvent and in the production of paint and varnish, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
    The article I was mentioning the lack of information from was the week after, so the information came forward later. The above list of chemicals is from our taxpayer funded propaganda network(link below).

They are(city)fighting to prove the cars contained benzene(2 of them), they will likely lose even though testing still shows it in the soil. The EPA(per the above article) says only some benzene residue remained in any cars at the time of the derailment. It is a CYA for the epa(why test for it if there was only residue?) and certainly the railroad as no paperwork was filed for the transporting of benzene(or it vanished in a different kind of cya).

*edit found a source for the 2 cars that was made public February 15th 2023
    Benzene — a deadly industrial chemical

Two of the derailed cars reportedly contained benzene residue(still says residue though), a colorless or pale yellow liquid with a sweet scent.

It burns easily and evaporates into air rapidly.

The substance is formed naturally from volcanoes and forest fires, and is a natural part of crude oil, gasoline and cigarette smoke.

It is also used to make plastics, nylon and some types of lubricants, drugs and pesticides.
    Try to find that in a US based source. Even the scientific american article/study is now gone.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For reasons I've posted earlier decisions were made to burn the vinyl chloride. Good or bad in light of what we see today I won't debate because I wasn't there faced with the possibility of being blown to the moon along with the town in a thermobaric detonation. There were no good choices.

I've been a technical professional working with industrial chemicals my entire life including all the ones on the list. Been through a few industrial manufacturing building fires as well. The news articles could do with somebody better versed in chemistry to read them before publication to keep elementary mistakes like getting the PH scale backwards from being published.

Benzene has been around a long time and is in a lot of places. When you burn wood, pine in particular you are going to generate some with incomplete combustion. It comes from the decomposition of lignin. Abeitic acid in rosin that you find in pine sap is also a good source.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Benzene leaked from two cars that derailed. They then released vinyl chloride(after the fire was started) from 4 cars to burn it off , supposedly so they would not explode.

The other cars we know nothing about(only 6 of the 22 burned liquid transport cars have any information about them publicly known, but benzene was certainly in 2 of them). As for all the rest even the city has not gotten the information from the railroad or EPA about everything that was carried/leaked in their town. Not to worry the EPA said they where given all information available and that they needed.
    View attachment 361533

Found some others listed.
    • Vinyl chloride. This gas is used to create PVC (polyvinyl chloride) pipes, construction materials, packaging and other products, according to the EPA. It was involved in the controlled burn conducted after the derailment.
    • Isobutylene. This gas can be used in the production of butyl rubber, antioxidants for foods and plastics, and aviation gasoline, according to the National Library of Medicine.
    • Butyl acrylate. This liquid is used to make paints, adhesives, sealants and other products, according to the National Library of Medicine.
    • Benzene. This liquid has a wide range of uses, according to the EPA, including as a solvent and in the manufacture of goods like detergents and explosives. This chemical was not transported on the train at the time of the derailment, but officials said residue from previous shipments remained on the train cars, the Associated Press reported.
    • Ethylhexyl acrylate. This liquid is used in the manufacturing of paints and plastics, according to the National Library of Medicine.
    • Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether. This liquid is used as a solvent and in the production of paint and varnish, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
    The article I was mentioning the lack of information from was the week after, so the information came forward later. The above list of chemicals is from our taxpayer funded propaganda network(link below).

They are(city)fighting to prove the cars contained benzene(2 of them), they will likely lose even though testing still shows it in the soil. The EPA(per the above article) says only some benzene residue remained in any cars at the time of the derailment. It is a CYA for the epa(why test for it if there was only residue?) and certainly the railroad as no paperwork was filed for the transporting of benzene(or it vanished in a different kind of cya).

*edit found a source for the 2 cars that was made public February 15th 2023
    Benzene — a deadly industrial chemical

Two of the derailed cars reportedly contained benzene residue(still says residue though), a colorless or pale yellow liquid with a sweet scent.

It burns easily and evaporates into air rapidly.

The substance is formed naturally from volcanoes and forest fires, and is a natural part of crude oil, gasoline and cigarette smoke.

It is also used to make plastics, nylon and some types of lubricants, drugs and pesticides.
    Try to find that in a US based source. Even the scientific american article/study is now gone.
    I can tell you that there is persistent back-channel chatter that Norfolk-Southern was the driving force behind the breach and burn decision, ostensibly because they wanted to get the tracks re-opened as quickly as possible for economic reasons

Couple of months after the accident, it came out that the manufacturer of the vinyl chloride had been given near realtime data on the conditions at the site and told N-S that there was little danger of polymerization under those conditions and the cars could just be cooled with water and then the chemical transferred to undamaged cars. That determination by the manufacturer does not seem to have been communicated to the people on site who made the decision to breach and burn, N-S did not pass that information on

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Welp, it appears to be confirmed and no longer a rumor

After discussing how a trackside detector in Salem, Ohio, failed to accurately measure the bearing's temperature, NTSB investigators said that Norfolk Southern and its contractors compromised the integrity of the vent-and-burn decision by withholding information from Oxy Vinyls, the company that made the vinyl chloride, and evidence that the tank cars were cooling after the crash.

The officials who made that decision said they never received any information suggesting the vent and burn wasn't their only option.

“Norfolk Southern and its contractors continued to assert the necessity of a vent and burn, even though available evidence should have led them to re-evaluate their initial conclusion,” investigator Paul Stancil said.

The railroad defended the decision again Tuesday and said it was based on more than just the temperature readings. Officials also had concerns about the way the pressure-relief devices malfunctioned on the tank cars though Homendy said some of those fears were misplaced based on what investigators learned. Norfolk Southern added that nothing kept Oxy Vinyls from joining the discussion in the command center and sharing its opinion about the tank cars.

Oxy Vinyls experts testified at earlier NTSB hearings they were certain a feared chemical reaction that could have caused those tank cars to explode wasn’t happening. Oxy Vinyls didn’t address the questions about its role in the vent and burn decision in a statement Tuesday.

Norfolk Southern emphasized in its statement that it recommended the vent and burn because of safety concerns. Homendy said that in a private meeting two weeks ago a senior company executive told the board that Norfolk Southern wanted to put to rest the “rumor” that the railroad made that decision to get trains moving again more quickly..

Top Bottom