• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Time trials, autox and other sanctioned speed events are fun but the barriers to entry are more than many are willing to overcome.

On my bucket list is to take the Corvette on the Silver State Classic Challenge in Nevada, ~69 miles each way on open highway as fast as you dare (in your speed class).

I really wish the USA had something similar to the autobahn. There's no reason it couldn't be done in this country with all the open space. Require extra driving training and have a special endorsement (like the mc endorsement) on your license to drive it .

What barriers? Autox you show up with a car that’s not a death trap (tires not corded, functioning seat belts and brakes). Loaner helmets and free instruction are available. $45.

Hpde is again a safe car, $300 and a helmet, sone orgs offer loaners and in car instruction.

The only “barriers” are in your head.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    OP: You’ll be wasting time, effort, and a lot of $$$ big time in this case!!! Talk to the prosecutor, beg for mercy ask him to knock the speed down to 0-10 over to lower the fine and points and take it like a man. Otherwise you will, again, be wasting a lot of $$$. Besides, with the $$$ you save you could buy a lower decibel exhaust system. Trust me! :nono:

Reactions: Mij

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Not even close. There is no road in Indiana where people drive really fast.
    Not many of the interstates that I've driven on are in any kind of shape to allow the rotated "8" speed limit.

I watched a few YouTube videos of a guy in Germany doing Car and Driver type tests on the Autobahn with a POV camera. I watched one with him in a Kia Stinger, pegging the speedo at ~260 kph, (about 160 mph) passing cars in the rain. Scared the **** out of me just to watch.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not many of the interstates that I've driven on are in any kind of shape to allow the rotated "8" speed limit.

I watched a few YouTube videos of a guy in Germany doing Car and Driver type tests on the Autobahn with a POV camera. I watched one with him in a Kia Stinger, pegging the speedo at ~260 kph, (about 160 mph) passing cars in the rain. Scared the **** out of me just to watch.
    The biggest difference there is the attitude of drivers, or lack thereof. In my short time there, the only person I saw in the left lane that didn't belong there was an American, big SUV with US plates.

I was up to about 250KPH in the BMW rental I ad. It gets pretty freaky how fast crap goes by at that speed. I could not imagine doing that in the rain. How do you even see the road?

Reactions: oze

Indianapail

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Time trials, autox and other sanctioned speed events are fun but the barriers to entry are more than many are willing to overcome.

On my bucket list is to take the Corvette on the Silver State Classic Challenge in Nevada, ~69 miles each way on open highway as fast as you dare (in your speed class).

I really wish the USA had something similar to the autobahn. There's no reason it couldn't be done in this country with all the open space. Require extra driving training and have a special endorsement (like the mc endorsement) on your license to drive it .

You think you'd break 30 minutes? Pegging your speed at 130 ought to do it

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    The biggest difference there is the attitude of drivers, or lack thereof. In my short time there, the only person I saw in the left lane that didn't belong there was an American, big SUV with US plates. I was up to about 250KPH in the BMW rental I ad. It gets pretty freaky how fast crap goes by at that speed. I could not imagine doing that in the rain. How do you even see the road?
    Fastest I ever drove on a public road was 115 mph in my '06 Daytona on I-88 in rural Illinois. If you're not used to it (and I wasn't), it's amazing how fast you close on a car that you could barely see in the distance a few seconds prior. No way I'd try that now, with my old-man reaction times.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    If the OP was traveling 42mph on Main St. between 10th and 16th, he deserves the ticket. That is an extremely dangerous speed for that particular street. Narrow, cars parked on both sides, multiple pedestrian crosswalks.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not even close. There is no road in Indiana where people drive really fast.
    Anecdotally, we were passed by, what was likely, a V series CT4 or CT5 doing maybe 130 - 150 on i94 coming out of IL yesterday. I've been passed by people going 100+, one even being chased by a WI state trooper, but this was by far the fastest I've seen on the public roads. It was the first time I remember wondering if he was going to get it slowed down before the pack of cars 1/4 mile ahead of us.

A track or other sanctioned event is a good option for driving fast, but IMO its disingenuous and self righteous to say that it is the ONLY safe place to do that. As they say the totality of the circumstances must be taken into consideration before condemning people for simply "driving too fast." Additionally while track and autox can be fun, there are very few options that allow you to simply go fast in a strait line for a bit. My example above is certainly a poor choice but I've spent enough time traveling between Indianapolis and the middle of Wisconsin to know that there is a lot of lightly traveled interstate between here and there which could certainly be safely traversed at the century mark or better with a capable vehicle. I don't do it because I don't want to give the states of IN/IL/WI more money than I have to and I certainly don't want to give any more to my insurance company simply because I was traveling faster than an arbitrary number. "safety", however, is not a factor.

In the OP's case, I doubt the additional speed was worth some of the chastising that was doled out upthread. Depending on the situation I can certainly see preferring to give an attorney the speeding ticket money rather than the city/state and/or insurance company.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    You think you'd break 30 minutes? Pegging your speed at 130 ought to do it
    Not on my first run. Maybe if I went back a second time I could maintain 130 for the class. Not sure I'd try any faster class, the 'Vette should be able to go 190, but not with me driving.

It isn't a race in the traditional sense:

What is Open Road Racing?​
    Open Road Racing events are competitive driving events measured by time, speed, and distance. Vehicles begin from a standstill, starting one at a time against a GPS time clock at the top of each minute (or in some cases, thirty seconds) apart, and drive a prescribed distance based on specific time targets and speed class averages. Whoever breaks the timing beam at the end of the course with the most accurate target time variance in each speed class is the winner.

At SSCC, speed classes begin at 95 mph, and increase in 5 mph increments up through the 160 mph class, plus a 170, 180​

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Fastest I ever drove on a public road was 115 mph in my '06 Daytona on I-88 in rural Illinois. If you're not used to it (and I wasn't), it's amazing how fast you close on a car that you could barely see in the distance a few seconds prior. No way I'd try that now, with my old-man reaction times.

145 here.

A1AF1B5F-7D79-4883-B445-7F5BC3ECEDDA.jpeg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...I'd rather just pay to have the ticket taken care of in court....

A traffic lawyer just takes care of the ticket for you ends up costing normally double what the ticket is but it is completely off your record. I don’t know how they do it some voodoo lawyer magic I guess.
    You guys be sure to let me know how that works, because I've never heard of "just getting it taken care of".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    The scariest part of driving ultra fast on city roads is the fact the roads aren't built for it. The freshest, straightest, flattest-looking stretch isn't. At a certain speed every road has dips or other imperfections that aren't easily seen but sure as hell can be felt. Personal best...
    120mph car, as driver.
    135mph motorcycle.
    145 car, as passenger.
    I have several times crossed the 100mph while traveling long distance on interstates. Usually just trying to keep up. I'm more excited with acceleration than top end.

Indianapail

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Brownsburg
    The scariest part of driving ultra fast on city roads is the fact the roads aren't built for it. The freshest, straightest, flattest-looking stretch isn't. At a certain speed every road has dips or other imperfections that aren't easily seen but sure as hell can be felt. Personal best...
    120mph car, as driver.
    135mph motorcycle.
    145 car, as passenger.
    I have several times crossed the 100mph while traveling long distance on interstates. Usually just trying to keep up. I'm more excited with acceleration than top end.
    I agree, even the nicest roads will be completely different when you double your speed.

145 on I-69 at night before I let off, revs still climbing I'm sure it would have gone faster.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom