Name your top 3 ways to make fire..

I carry..

At least two lighters
    Water proof matches in a air tight container
    Strike anywhere matches in an air tight container
    A Magnifying Glass
    A Magnesium fire starter
    Two wads of dryer lint in double bags with air smashed out

I am looking into a Fire Piston and other methods.

Last edited:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    1) Bic lighter
    2) Zippo
    3) Road flare
    Yes, I can make a bow and drill and use it, but it doesn't really get me too excited.
    I've also chipped flint knives, but they don't replace my Helle.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    A group of 9v-batteries, and steel-wool, dryer lint,

solar-charger for the batt., A couple of "used-up" BBQ lighters (because the striker can still safely ignite any handy flammable fumes .... 'used-up' Bics will work also.) If I'm with my vehicle, jumper-cables also make a cheery SPARK! EBG

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I agree with DanO on the first two...

1.) Bic lighter: In my mind the Glock of the lighter world. Mostly plastic and light weight with few parts, yet functional. They just work. Go Bic or go home I always say. Yeah, I could save 50¢ and buy one of those cheap see-through lemon lighters, but they usually break before they run out of fuel. I personally wouldn't depend on one to save my life. And Bic's come in a subcompact "baby" form like the Glock the "Baby" Bic, or as I like to say the Son-of-a-Bic bucause it is fun to say, and because I am a dork like that. Definitely my favorite handheld incendiary device.

1.) Zippo: To me the Zippo is more or less analogous to the 1911. Mostly metal, loved by the military (in years past), with limited fuel reservoir capacity (not unlike the limited round count of a typical 1911 magazine), but they pack a punch. They are not just a lighter. The Zippo Is a windproof lamp in the palm of your hand. Zippo's are handy because you can set them down while lit. Another advantage is you are not limited to just butane/lighter fluid. Just about any flamible liquid with reasonably low viscocity will work in a Zippo.

3.) This is a tougher decision than I thought. I guess I will have to say the dryer lint and ferrocerium rod combo. The ferrocerium rod makes a wicked spark, and can de used with other tinder if need be. Dry dryer lint is quick to catch a spark though it stinks a rotten stinch when ignited, and it is free! Need I say more?

For the record I am not a fan of matches. I would rather not use one unless it was all I had. :twocents:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Just my outlook, I understand why the others though and their popularity. I live too close to the river to not be worried about my gear being water proof and floating.

Matches in an air tight container float..

Batterys sink, go dead, are heavy, corrode
    Steel wool rusts, sinks

Ferro Rods sink and are heavy.

Zippo's are heavy and sink. As well as if over fill them or store them off angle may leak. If in your pocket can burn your skin or be a danger and have an odor that dogs and some people can track.

Even used matches can be used as tinder..

Anyone use chemical components to make fire?

Last edited:

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I carry two Bics, Ferro cerium rod, Magnesium block striker, Vaseline/cotton balls for tinder and always have at least four wax dipped popsicle sticks for second stage tinder. Carry those in a little snack plastic zip bag. Wooden clothes pins work well too and are easy to squirrel away.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1) lighter
    2) matches
    3) flare

I carry all 3. Sure, I can use a striker block, battery and steel wool, and some primitive methods. My top 3 are the quick-n-easy ones for me.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Practice
    Practice
    Practice, improvise, pracitce improvising

For save my ass fast, triox bar in a bandana (or anything flamable) add a spark or flame. I am never far from a triox bar. Skills are great but if I need fire now, technology is good.

I make my own waterproof matches with strike anywhere matches, wax paper and melted wax. They are more than a match, more like self igniting tinder.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    1. Gasoline and road flare
    2. Thermite grenade
    3. Willy Pete

Just kidding.

My first and favorite method is ferorod and striker. Second, stormproof matches and third a bic mini lighter. The bic is fastest and most forgiving but my favorite is the ferorod.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Number 4: Ask anyone but Scutter01 to help you get it lit

/seriously bad at making fire happen

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Strike-anywhere matches (Ace Harware is the only place that carries them that I know of)
    Make tinder and kindling with my hand ax
    cotton balls and carmex
    sassafras to show off one match fires to the scouts
    magnesium firestarter $2 @ harbor freight

joeman3285

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Montgomery County
    Matches (strike anywhere in a waterproof container)
    Lighter
    Swedish Fire Steel

Also a ziplock with cotton balls soaked in vaseline. great tinder

I can make a bow drill as a last resort, but practice the heck out of that before you rely on it.

Top Bottom