• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I looked into going to school for my CDL and was told it was 8k but that it was to low for a student loan so people have to pay out of pocket and that is why the classes are pretty small.

I can't drive for long periods of time... Get sleepy not to mention I know when some companies say they will get you home these certian weeks often home is your home state not home city.... There is an aviation maintenance company that sends guys across the pond an home to them is your home country.... You get the point...

I think the big problem is the cash needed to get the CDL training. Yeah people need jobs but also are broke.

Saw what? I've taken out student loans much, much less than 8k.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Seems to me the job doesn't pay enough. If truckers are so in demand why is the pay so low for a 24 hour a day job

Fact is that there are still many people out there who want to believe that education should stop after 12th grade. For decades, that was OK because you could go to a local factory and at least get a job that paid decent. Those who were lucky enough to get a UAW factory job, especially skilled trade, made great money, and OT easily put them in the six-figure range.

So you have a lot of folks who find out that a lot of those types of jobs now pay $35Kish, maybe OT maybe not. They are very hard to get, and easier to get service/retail jobs don't pay jack. That $50-$100K/year looks very good on paper. I've been told that OTR trucking is one industry that has over 100% turnover every year. If they get 1,000 new truckers, at least 1,001 quit the same year. Spoke with a former owner/operator. She said that the money was good, but you have to basically live rural, build yourself your own garage (metal barn type building), and have a mechanic that can do the work for a fair price. She said a lot of diesel auto work is very costly, and her and her husband actually had a guy on payroll for the bigger stuff. Eventually had enough of it and got out.

I could see myself doing it, as I don't have the personality that requires me to be around other people. However, I would miss my wife and other family members, and wouldn't want to deal with being away for all the holidays, not even seeing them for maybe weeks at a time. I think I would rather find some lower paying job driving a box truck within the city/region than doing long haul trucking.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My experience at CR England.

Hiring stupid people as dispatchers
    Little cliques of drivers and dispatchers.
    Getting to a drop 2 days early and have to sit because they "can't" get you a swap, drop yard, etc. Guaranteed on a Wal-Mart load, they won't accept it more than an hour early.
    Laredo, after your drop, you ARE gonna wait for a new load.
    Shippers that load as heavy as they possibly can(screw you Coke, screw you Cargill), yet don't have their own scale(gotta give Anheuser Busch and Swift plant in Greeley props for having them) so you gotta spend your own money on CatScales to make sure you're legal. Always seem like the ones that load you balanced funny are an hour away from the nearest truck stop with a scale. So you face 3 stupid options. Drive all the way back, wasting hours/unpaid miles, run it with illegal axle weight, run it with illegal axle to kingpin distance.

Top Bottom