actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    She was nice.
    She was in a bad position, having to explain someone else's decision. Too bad they couldn't have gotten the owner, the one who made the decision.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There is nothing hypocritical about my position.

I support less laws and for citizens to use courts for redress when other citizens have violated them. In the instance of the OP's landlord, I have asked for no law banning his ability to fly a flag. It's strictly between him and the landlord. I have not said that anyone does not have the right to sue. I have said that I would take actions to limit liabilities in law suits. I would like to think most of us do that every day when we drive our cars or various other actions. Nowhere have I said that people don't have the right to sue me. Sure, I could go out side and just shoot my gun into the air. By not doing so, I don't give others the ability to sue me if one of my bullets should do damage to them or their property.

There are multiple building codes and regulations landlords must comply with in order to rent out properties. A smart landlord doesn't need them to be law to see that compliance will prevent him from being sued into the poor house.

Hornadylnl, I agree that as a property owner, you have rights. But some of those rights are superceded by a lease agreement. As an owner, you can't just walk into someones apartment and rummage through their belongings, without some reason (water dripping, gas smell, etc).

And, he didn't just put up the flag, causing damage now. It has been up for years. The NEW owner wants to change things. Fine. Then when the NEW lease is signed, their can be changes in it.

And, I agree with your position, you don't want to rent your property out. If you don't rent your property out, then you avoid this problem.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The flag should never touch anything beneath it,such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

While wearing the colors may be in poor taste and offensive to many, it is important to remember that the Flag Code is intended as a guide to be followed on a purely voluntary basis to insure proper respect for the flag.

I was still hoping for a pic of how it was hung before

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...the Flag Code is intended as a guide to be followed on a purely voluntary basis to insure proper respect for the flag.

Information I'm sure our sentimental serviceman would be interested in having to properly show respect for the flag would be my guess. :dunno:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If I read CRS 8-B http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf correctly, the flag cannot touch anything when flown.

Well, if it's flown vertically on a pole. It would be touching the pole with no wind blowing. Same if it's draped from a guide on. You can even lay it on a bed, chair, etc, as long as it's not left there. It's disrespectful to let it touch the ground, IE where one would walk. We laid our station's flag on the counter so we could fold it. As there is no way you can properly fold it by yourself without it touching anything. One way to dispose of a damaged flag is to drape it over a stick and slowly lower it onto a fire. That is considered to be respectful.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If I read CRS 8-B http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf correctly, the flag cannot touch anything when flown.

U.S., I am sure we could find you a longer pole to fly that flag if you want to get it up higher. But then that might not meet the criteria of the apartment if the flag is as high as or taller then the roof line. I think a pole sunk in a big bucket of concrete sitting in the middle of that little fenced in area is in order.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    Good on you bro for standing up. while i do agree with the one guy's response about a strongly worded letter stating your position then SHTingFU before involving the media, you got the result you wanted AND now you have and ice breaker to chat up that smokin' hot office manager! Win/Win! Send her flowers for putting her in that position with the news crew. Then ask her out STAT! There are thousands of us married folk that need to live vicariously through you young bucks. Do it for us!

as usual, some good points brought up about tennant/landlord rights. also as is the norm, a few got a little butthurt and some nitpicking as well - what else would one expect on INGO. One of the better threads that i've read all the way through. Hoosierdoc...I don't think you'll get your picture, but i see where you were going with it...valid point you were trying to make.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    U.S., I am sure we could find you a longer pole to fly that flag if you want to get it up higher. But then that might not meet the criteria of the apartment if the flag is as high as or taller then the roof line. I think a pole sunk in a big bucket of concrete sitting in the middle of that little fenced in area is in order.

Yeah, I just wanted to get it up. I just used zip ties, so I can take it down easily, and they can't say I attached it to anything.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well, if it's flown vertically on a pole. It would be touching the pole with no wind blowing. Same if it's draped from a guide on. You can even lay it on a bed, chair, etc, as long as it's not left there. It's disrespectful to let it touch the ground, IE where one would walk. We laid our station's flag on the counter so we could fold it. As there is no way you can properly fold it by yourself without it touching anything. One way to dispose of a damaged flag is to drape it over a stick and slowly lower it onto a fire. That is considered to be respectful.

I believe the American Legion, downtown Indy, do disposal of flags if you ask them.
    They can probably provide people with flags and knowledge about proper flag etiquette too.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Good on you bro for standing up. while i do agree with the one guy's response about a strongly worded letter stating your position then SHTingFU before involving the media, you got the result you wanted AND now you have and ice breaker to chat up that smokin' hot office manager! Win/Win! Send her flowers for putting her in that position with the news crew. Then ask her out STAT! There are thousands of us married folk that need to live vicariously through you young bucks. Do it for us!

as usual, some good points brought up about tennant/landlord rights. also as is the norm, a few got a little butthurt and some nitpicking as well - what else would one expect on INGO. One of the better threads that i've read all the way through. Hoosierdoc...I don't think you'll get your picture, but i see where you were going with it...valid point you were trying to make.

She is married. I tried to get clearification, but did not get a solid answer. Besides, they are not in the office much, because they get all Jewish Holidays off. For example, they will not be in the office all week as it's Sukkot. For those that know me, I'm an easy going guy. I keep to myself and am friendly with my neighbors. That letter really got to me though. If it was an issue with me having the base attached to the fence, they should have stated that in the letter from the get go. I will talk with her when she is back in the office. As I have nothing against her. Honestly though, I do not regret how I handled it.

Top Bottom