• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Funny on the supervisor "hanging up." Sometimes those things happen (really) at the worst time. I was having a cell conversation with a subcontractor on a construction project and telling him how I wanted him to do something. He had another idea and we went back and forth a little then my phone just cut out. He got me back a few minutes later and said, "Oh, man. I didn't mean to p*ss you off! I'm really sorry. I'll do it your way." I asked what he was talking about and he said, "You got mad and hung up on me." I laughed my a** off and told him the call dropped. But we did it my way.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bookmark the following ling to your phone or download the PDF and keep it handy in your list of case law SO next time Officer Unfriendly starts giving you the blues over openly carrying your pistola, show him this:

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/General_Firearms_Information_updated_2_2013.pdf

14. Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or
    exposed?
    Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may alarm
    some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private property and
    businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted areas when carrying
    firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for official business such as
    traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended that you tell the officer in a
    non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or have a weapon in the vehicle and
    that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement officer does have the right to inspect the
    permit.

I usually tell them if I will buy them lunch if they can find anywhere on my license where it mentions "conceal".

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Since these types of issues are constantly brought up on INGO, I would just say it, apparently, goes with the turf.

I just prefer never being hassled in the first place. But that's my personal choice, YMMV.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    You would think that being familiar with the handgun laws would be a prerequisite for LEOs. Amazingly, it most definitely is not, as so many stories like yours reveal. Good job for opening his eyes to reality.

BTW, what is POA?
    Have you ever seen the size of an ICC book? They are huge. Do you really expect the Putnam County Sherriff's deputies out there know all of the laws??

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    That could be one where you have the cop look at your LTCH and ask him where it states that one must CC. Kinda make you want to have a copy of the IC handy in the vehicle for just such times. :D

VERY easy to do !!!

I have it in my Google Drive, along with court cases, etc., EASILY accessible from my phone :D

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We live in a lake community with a POA. They have a Putnam County Sherriff's deputy for security. When I got home, I was getting out of my car, he pulled up beside me to talk about my truck not being registered. Then he noticed my firearm on my side. He told me I needed to "semi-conceal" it.
    I asked him if that was per the POA and he said no that it is state law to which i immediately replied "no it isn't!"
    He then said he could get his supervisor out and he could tell me. i said ok, let's do that. He got his supervisor on the phone instead. the supervisor asked me what was going on, so i told him what the deputy said. the supervisor told me the deputy was right. I told him that I would go print the I.C. for his deputy. He then told me to print it and we'd take care of it in court. I said ok, that's fine with me, thinking ok here's the part where I get arrested. Then i hear silence. He hung up on me?
    I handed the deputy his phone back and said he hung up. He told me he didn't hang up, that his phone has been messing up. after that I told the deputy he should go to handgunlaw.us because he wouldn't see in the I.C. where it says you cannot open carry. he said he'll check it out and get back with me tomorrow. after going around greencastle all day OCing, even getting complimented at o'reilly auto parts on the right way to carry, I get two feet from my house and get hassled? lol

I would ask him just WHERE on our LTCH does it say to carry concealed only? It is a license to carry. Period.

I keep a copy of the Handgun Law book in my truck. For just such educational opportunities. :D

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    The deputy showed up a few minutes ago, off duty, in his personal vehicle, and smiled and said "You were right!"
    I didn't recognize him out of uniform until he told me who he was. He said he talked to a state trooper who was into guns, and he told him. I also asked if his super knew about it as well, and he answered in the affirmative! Big +1 to deputy for following up!

Just so it doesn't get burried in the pages I'm going to quote this....

This is how a professional responds to figuring out he has made an error. (Stands true to ANY professional, not just LEO's.) :yesway:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Just restored my faith in Putnum Co Sheriff. I respect anyone who is big enough to admit they made a mistake. Good on the deputy for the follow up.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds like he is one of the good ones but really, in these times not to know the laws involved on the hottest topic is a bit lame. JMHP

Its a hot topic on this forum, its not a very hot topic in the grander scheme. I went probably 6 years in LE before I saw anyone open carrying.

I pulled a guy over for having an early 80's license plate on his car in 2010 or so.

histplate_1984-86.jpg

He had a historic plate inside the car and a copy of the IC code that said he could use a license plate from the year of manufacture for his car on the bumper if he kept the historic plate in his vehicle. I'd never heard of such a thing, and he educated me on it. I definitely wasn't his first cop with no idea, either, but its probably a "hot topic" on classic car forums.

BMV: Year Of Manufacture Plate Program for those who are interested. If you happen to have a good condition 1978 truck plate, PM me (:D)

The deputy here did the right thing and looked it up, but no one knows all the laws. Not cops, not lawyers, not judges. They all take "time outs" to look things up.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The deputy showed up a few minutes ago, off duty, in his personal vehicle, and smiled and said "You were right!"
    I didn't recognize him out of uniform until he told me who he was. He said he talked to a state trooper who was into guns, and he told him. I also asked if his super knew about it as well, and he answered in the affirmative! Big +1 to deputy for following up!

:yesway: :yesway:

I've been looking at some land in Putnam Co, so this is good to hear! Hopefully no one minds if I make some occasional noise out there if I end up moving :ar15:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Since these types of issues are constantly brought up on INGO, I would just say it, apparently, goes with the turf.

I just prefer never being hassled in the first place. But that's my personal choice, YMMV.
    That's one way to look at it but if everyone avoided being "hassled" then how will we ever move the ball forward toward the norm and correct anyone, (including LE) on misconceptions and misinformation when it comes to firearms and carry related topics?

I would submit that some people are willing to take that risk.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Its a hot topic on this forum, its not a very hot topic in the grander scheme. I went probably 6 years in LE before I saw anyone open carrying.

I pulled a guy over for having an early 80's license plate on his car in 2010 or so.

histplate_1984-86.jpg

He had a historic plate inside the car and a copy of the IC code that said he could use a license plate from the year of manufacture for his car on the bumper if he kept the historic plate in his vehicle. I'd never heard of such a thing, and he educated me on it. I definitely wasn't his first cop with no idea, either, but its probably a "hot topic" on classic car forums.

BMV: Year Of Manufacture Plate Program for those who are interested. If you happen to have a good condition 1978 truck plate, PM me (:D)

The deputy here did the right thing and looked it up, but no one knows all the laws. Not cops, not lawyers, not judges. They all take "time outs" to look things up.

Wow, anyone else have the "Wander Indiana" song playing in their heads right now?

Woodro29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This has been a great read and learning experience! Thanks for posting! I am also glad to hear that the LEO returned and admitted he was wrong, everyone is human.

Top Bottom