• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

Mailman Mike came back from the weekly mail run. Two thirds of the remaining mail carriers had quit or just didn’t show up for work. He joked that this was the first time he had police cars in front of, and behind him as he made his deliveries. But that was his only condition for him to work. The day went as expected, without any significant events. He said he was tired since this route was three times larger than the last time he worked.

The police in addition to providing security for the mail, were looking for people who were red spots on the map or on the new list the Judge had created. They logged 15 locations to report back to the Judge. Both knew what was going on and knew it was necessary. They have been training for two days on preemptive justice runs and had both been on actual missions. Both targets were taken and made to look like they left the area in a hurry. Both had computers and left notes that said family or friends had picked them up, and they were going to Texas or Florida.

Target number one was laid next to an 8 ton limestone block at an old quarry. Instead of burying the body, they just used a front loaded to roll the block over him. The second one was taken to the tracks and tossed naked into a coal car. In a few days he will be a few hundred miles away. Worst case he ends up as a clog in the screen at the unloading station. Best case he is never found and is pulverized just before being loaded into the boiler.

Three days had passed since we moved everything from the house. The drywall is outside in a huge pile and the Insulation is up at the barn for later use. Mike, Craig and John’s boys did most of the work. The house will need a few more days to gas out, before my wife approves of moving back in. The smell is very strong and my family is practicing cold weather camping, so its not too bad.

At the last minute we decided not to pull down all the ceilings. Just the first foot or so from the exterior wall was cut away and foamed in. It saved foam, and did not completely destroy the house. The foamed walls were smoothed nicely and it almost looks like drywall, almost. The cleanup was not as bad as I thought. The wood floors were covered and easy to sweep up. Everything was washed, and the furniture was brought into the center of each room. In the next few days, we are going to attempt to find some wall panels so that the lower portion of the walls can be protected from damage. It is not critical, but will make the place look “normal”. If we are lucky, we will secure enough materials to finish the rooms. Carrie asked me to try, and I’ll put the word out.

The house was very quiet with the insulation. In one room I could almost hear my heart beat. The smell was not as bad and we decided to shut all but one window upstarts and leave a window on the first floor open about 3 inches. Last night, 4 people slept in one of the cold weather emergency shelter rooms in the basement. They were laughing at how warm the room got from just body heat. All six sides of the cube were insulated and that news was encouraging. The same comments were being said about the fifth wheel and the park trailer. They are very easy to keep warm and very quiet.

The older men were working on splitting wood, adding a layer of dirt over the septic tank and the well line. The pile of drywall was used as fill for some of this and within a few hours the backhoe had moved enough dirt and materials to add about three feet to these areas. The pump house has been spray foamed and should be good to go for even the coldest of days.

With the three areas foamed, and the pump house done, John and his boys left with the rest of the foam products and materials to help some friends back at his neighborhood. They left the ugly backhoe and we decided to improve some drainage and dig some trenches. Some of the trenches are for defense and the others are to trap vehicles that might try to get at us from the road or other access points. When that work was done, the backhoe was driven over to the other group and they used it to cover the well, water lines and septic tank. They had a better layout with the hills and only a small section of land needed some additional traps dug. The work was needed to restrict vehicle access to the areas around the home and barn.

The dead hippie’s house was an interesting site. The police had told us more about this man, and that explains why they didn’t really care that he was dead. He was a sex offender, but never was caught for the worst of the crimes he did. After he was released from jail, as long as he was on his med’s he was not a danger. They told us he was days or hours from being a danger and everyone was lucky. His place had two wood heaters, a wood stove and a propane freezer. Those items were brought back with some other items we could use or trade. When looking under his trailer, we found some items that didn’t make sense. The information was passed onto the police and they showed up. They came with a semi and pulled the trailer off the pad to expose a concrete pad that didn’t make sense. The way they looked, we might have found the evidence they were looking for.

The backhoe busted up the concrete and a rusty metal hatch was exposed. A hook and chain were used to pull off the hatch and expose the ladder. The police looked into the open area and reported back that it was filled with water almost to the entrance. Some children’s toys were floating on the top of the water. They used a rake to probe the water and it didn’t hit bottom and decided to call for help.

The Sherriff and the Judge showed up with a septic truck to pump it out. The room or shelter had been closed for decades and had filled with water over all these years. The septic guy used a meter to check the area for gasses and said it should be ok. Before they went down they noticed the water level rising again. About an hour later, the water level was back up to the level it was first pumped out. The water table must be very close to the surface or a spring is filling up the old shelter. We moved a piece of concrete back over the hole with the back hoe. No one had the time or the fuel to keep pumping it out. That will have to wait for a less stressful time. The trailer home was left off its foundation and anything else worth salvaging was removed. The propane tank was chained to the front loader and brought back to the house for another fuel source. It was about half full and will be put to good use.

Cassie asked to go shooting at lunch. I let her shoot the single shot .22 rifle at some cans. She was hitting the can at 30 feet with every shot. The cans were moving back to 50 feet and she kept hitting it. She had driven the cans out to about 75 feet and was still hitting it every other time. Not bad shooting for her age! She got cold after shooting about 50 shots and said she was done. Before she left, she wanted to shoot a bigger gun, but wanted to wait a day or two before trying it out. She wanted to get her nerve up!

Before dark, the backhoe was used to move some of the split wood over to the different trailers. It made quick work of what was left of the front and back trees. Those trees gave us a good start on the firewood we would need for winter. The wood is green, but should dry fast the way it was cut, split and stacked.

In the distance, two more fires were raging and Louis and Jack were looking over the bodies of the two policemen that came to visit them. They put the police officers bodies into the two cars and drove them to the home that was burning. Both cars were driven into to burning home and added fuel to the blaze. While walking back home, Louis had to figure out the gift he was going to give his new girlfriend. He had just got her hooked on coke and meth. She would do anything for him, even sharing the information her boss was gathering on problem people in the county.

He knew he would have to wait till much later tonight to reward her. She was working in the Court House on the lists of people to be visited in the morning. If all goes as planned, these visits will stop tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Great story! Checking daily!

On a serious note, can someone point me to where I can find/purchase/acquire an official copy of Longbow's previous work (the one everyone says was "pulled").

I saw the question asked earlier and it was never answered

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Great story! Checking daily!

On a serious note, can someone point me to where I can find/purchase/acquire an official copy of Longbow's previous work (the one everyone says was "pulled").

I saw the question asked earlier and it was never answered

I don't believe that it has been published yet (and hoping it will be in the not so distant future!).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    LB-

Don't be too worried about the "jumpiness" - readers should be challenged a bit. ;) Great story!

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    It's challenging enough to try and read this on an iPhone screen while driving!

Above should be in purple.

Id fix it but I don't want to run the risk of getting in an accident.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If I read another thread correctly, I believe that Longbow and his family may be experiencing some issues that need to be dealt with. I can certainly be patient while he is with family!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

The house stinks, but we know it will get better. If anything, it gives the kids a reason to work outside. The haze and cloud cover is really killing the mood for everyone.

The supper insulted structures are almost too tight. Doors are being left over because even using the stove is enough to heat the home. That will change, but at least we know it will work.

Today each of the families will rotate who has watch and there has not been much traffic. The talk on the scanner with the loss of two policemen a few days back and the Judge missing are horrible news. Several homes have been broken into and the score is one less bad and sadly one less good guy from the robberies.

In the late morning we are to pick up our next grain shipment. This time it will not have grain sacks so we must come prepared. Three trucks will head out and one will remain to hold some of the grain and save gas from the big trucks making too many trips.
    Everyone has noticed the fall in temps and the light levels dropping.

By evening the two pool liners will be cleaned and ready to serve as the water tank under the house. It should hold about 1,800 gallons and has two liners since we can’t allow it to leak. In total we should be able to store about 2,200 gallons when the power or cold kills our supply.

John and his kids came back about 4 today. His first words to me were “it’s going to be real bad”. He said he has to keep working until the roads are closed from snow or it’s too cold to travel. Gas and diesel will most likely run out before that, and the coal power plants will be shut down and mothballed before the super cold weather hits. They plan to winterize them so they can restart with it warms up enough for the coolant water from the rivers to be used again. The coal plants fear the rivers are going to freeze solid. They have to mothball it to prevent freeze and damage the boiler and feed pipes.

The inventory of food, fuel and other items is being redone with the added number of guests and the supplies they brought. Those numbers will be updated after the “shopping” trip tomorrow.

Mike alerted the group that walkers were heading this way on the road on with his FRS. They looked harmless and had several wagons with supplies. 8 men, 5 women and 7 kids were walking and didn’t even bother us as they passed. They talked loud enough for use to figure they were going to a farm about 10 miles south of us. Three of the men had hunting rifles and several ladies had some pistols. They looked like they knew what they were doing and I doubt they knew we watched them. John’s older boys followed them about two more miles on the road, and they never changed course.

At dinner, we all talked about the food situation. Over the last week, everyone was working more and eating less. We all have lost a few pounds and for the short term that is great for everyone. We just need to find a balance to make it through.

It was my turn to have post, but this time I get to watch the rear of our place, since more people have been moving about. I’m more worried I’m going to fall asleep.

To keep awake, I broke the rules and started to walk around on the cleared path. No sticks or leaves to step on and make some noise. In the distance I heard a conversation and decided to get very quiet and move slow. The whispers continued down by the pond so I decided to see what all the fuss was about in the back. Two clicks on the FRS was the alert for the evening and others could see the direction I was pointing at. About three minutes later, from three directions we converged to look down at the pond.

About 2/3 down the trail we all froze. There was enough light to see what was going on by the pond. Without a sound, we all retreated and when we were far enough away, we all laughed and did our best not to embarrass the couple. We left them alone.

Later that night, they walked by me and asked how long I was watching the back woods as they went to the barn. I said “long enough to assess the situation and leave”.
    The both said “oh” and continued on to the barn. In the distance I heard him say “next time I’m bringing duct tape” .

With lights out and the heavy cloud cover with the haze, the nights are very dark. Dark enough, it is playing tricks on my mind. In my head, I worked on plans for trip wires and stumble sticks to give us some warning of movement out in the woods. With my eyes closed I could do a better job locating sounds and animal movements. A cold north wind blew and the temperature was dropping.

The snow hit my face and when I put my hand I could feel the heavy snow flakes falling. When my relief came, there was about 2 inches of snow on the ground and it was still falling when I fell asleep.

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    Thanks Longbow, hopefully things are going well with you and the family since you had to take some time away.

Top Bottom