Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes, same here. I wear a mask (actually two) when I go to the clinic. Other than that I don't need one.
    I get groceries delivered or else I do pick up where they bring the groceries out and put them in the back of my truck.
    Everything else I order on line and have it delivered.
    I don't go to stores or inside other buildings much at all. I did go to the dentist once and had to wear a mask from their front door to my stall and then it had to come off of course.
    I do go to get gas and go to my son's place and to my cabin when it is warmer but I don't need a mask to do that stuff.

About the groceries. I've been leery about the pick up service. Like they'll give me the shittiest stuff. Like near expired stuff. Bent cans. And what about produce? Do they even do that? I mean. If they did, I'm sure I don't trust people to get that right. End up with overripe bananas. Mushy apples. Bad carrots. Mushy tomatoes. Old moldy onions. My luck I'll get all the ****.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Do you think these mandates will pass the Supreme Court test? I don't consider it fully lawful until it does that. Some courts, like the 9th circus, say things are lawful when they really aren't.
    Actually I think it will pass the Supreme Court test as well because of the times we live in, although with some modifications and limitations.

Well. Maybe someone will challenge it and it'll eventually get decided. Obviously a federal mandate would not pass SCOTUS. The Federal government doesn't have the authority. If it were me on the bench I'd strike it down because "emergency power" must be used in an emergent way. So, by definition it can't be indefinitely ongoing.

I'd require the state legislature to modify the law that gives the governor emergency power to put a reasonable time limit on that power. Thereafter the legislature would have to vote to given the governor the power to handle ongoing events like the pandemic.

But, governor chamber-o-commerce won a landslide victory so he has a lot of political clout in Indiana. I'm pretty sure the chamber Republicans would happily kneel down and "please" him.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Do you think these mandates will pass the Supreme Court test? I don't consider it fully lawful until it does that.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Hell, I've learned that I can vote for an executive that wants to infringe upon the natural rights documented in the second amendment of the constitution of the united States while not voting for an executive that wants to infringe upon the natural rights documented in the second amendment of the constitution of the united States.

Let state define its limits necessary to keep us safe.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    About the groceries. I've been leery about the pick up service. Like they'll give me the shittiest stuff. Like near expired stuff. Bent cans. And what about produce? Do they even do that? I mean. If they did, I'm sure I don't trust people to get that right. End up with overripe bananas. Mushy apples. Bad carrots. Mushy tomatoes. Old moldy onions. My luck I'll get all the ****.
    I agree - I don't get produce that way except for shredded lettuce in sealed bags. I have not been getting a lot of produce but when I do want some my son gets that for me or my neighbor that goes to Costco all the time.

I have not had any issues with bent cans or getting anything wrong. One thing I do is not allow any substitutions. That way I get what I ordered or I don't get anything - and that does happen.

One time I had delivery and they left my stuff along with somebody else's order. I called them and it was too much hassle to come and get it. They just said keep it and they started over filling the other order.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just love walking around and looking at food. I'm a terrible shopper. I'm a JIT guy. (****, what should I make for dinner tomorrow?!)

Old bananas? Perfect for banana bread.
    Dented cans? Food inside is still good.
    Mold? ok, unless that's no good.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Q&A: Is it OK to buy dented food cans at the supermarket?​

Consumer Reports News: May 04, 2010 06:08 AM

6a00d83451e0d569e20133ed28e5da970b-800wi

Is it OK to buy dented food cans at the supermarket? —E.E.B., Vernon, CT

It’s perfectly fine to use a can right after you’ve dropped it on the floor, even if it’s a little dented. But you definitely want to avoid buying cans that are already dented or damaged. It’s tempting to buy dented cans that are marked down, but the bargain isn’t worth it. Those cans could contain a dangerous bacteria called Clostridium botulinum. The organism is extremely rare, but its toxin can be deadly. So don’t take any chances.

Look in your pantry and get rid of any cans that are badly dented, leaking, bulging, or rusted (wear disposable gloves while you’re at it). It’s possible that a contaminated can might have looked normal in the store but later developed a bulge while sitting on your shelf. If you find a can that is questionable, don’t open or puncture it. Get rid of it by placing the can in a sealable bag, wrapping another plastic bag around the sealable bag, and then taping tightly. Put the bag in a trash bin for nonrecyclable items outside of your home—and out of reach of people and pets. Don’t put the food in a sink, garbage disposal, or toilet. To be safe, wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly after handling any food or containers that might have been contaminated.

Read more on how to avoid foodborne illness and see our recent tests that uncovered BPA in canned foods .

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This says, as long as the can is in "good shape".
    I'm not taking the chance.

Knowledge Article
    As long as the can is in good shape, the contents should be safe to eat. NEVER USE food from cans that are leaking, bulging, or badly dented; cracked jars or jars with loose or bulging lids; canned food with a foul odor; or any container that spurts liquid when opening. Such cans could contain Clostridium botulinum.

While extremely rare, a toxin produced by it is the worst danger in canned goods. DON'T TASTE SUCH FOOD! Even a minuscule amount of botulinum toxin can be deadly. Recommended storage times are as follows: two to five years for low-acid foods (such as meat, poultry, fish, and vegetables; 12-18 months for high acid foods (such as juices, fruit, pickles, tomato soup, and sauerkraut).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    D&I steel used in food can production is a two part process.
    The plated layer can be damaged in the dent, allowing the inner steel to react with the acid in the food

The development of the draw and wall ironed (D&I) can began in Switzerland during the Second World war
    when tinplate became virtually unobtainable for package manufacturing and aluminium was the only other material available. As aluminium could not be used for making three-piece cans, it was necessary to develop a seamless form of can body instead. Some twenty years later, in 1963, the first commercial aluminium D&I beer cans were made and filled in the USA. Only when the steel substrate could be made clean enough could the D&I process be adapted to use tinplate. The major application for the D&I can is for beer and beverage cans, although the use of tinplate D&I cans for both human and pet foods is now well established in both the USA and the UK.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If the can is breached, dented, bulging or rusted, definitely don't use.

Everyone seems to agree on that.
    The bulging is a sign of botulism growing in the can.

Most of the debate is about minor dents, away from the seams.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Plastic soup cans are great for microwaving convenience.
    But D&I steel is stronger for storage, less leaching into the food, and considerably more recycled.
    Steel from "minimills" are 100 percent recycled. (Or 99.something percent).
    Steel from integrated mills like mine, well it depends on the cost of mined iron, and recycled steel. As the price of each, we can vary the "recipe". Yes, we use a recipe to make steel. There are thousands of types of steel, and each mill has a recipe to get the final product specifications.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Plastic soup cans are great for microwaving convenience.
    But D&I steel is stronger for storage, less leaching into the food, and considerably more recycled.
    Steel from "minimills" are 100 percent recycled. (Or 99.something percent).
    Steel from integrated mills like mine, well it depends on the cost of mined iron, and recycled steel. As the price of each, we can vary the "recipe". Yes, we use a recipe to make steel. There are thousands of types of steel, and each mill has a recipe to get the final product specifications.
    But every recipe seems to start with "Preheat Actaeon to 140 degrees" :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom