• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    1. This isn't about politics. It is about science. You want to turn this into some True Scotsman badge. It is not. It is about combatting a pandemic. We have had the anti-maskers during each pandemic. They are obsessed over politics and they are wrong.

2. It is still source control. If someone sneezes on the freezer handle then the chances of you being infected when grabbing a Red Baron are higher. With a mask it is lower.

3. Read. Read the studies and learn about the germ theory of disease. Learn how the body works. Learn how viruses are transmitted. Learn what we can do to lower the risk instead of feckless posturing for political purposes.
    1. Nobody is mentioning politics except for you. Nowhere in my reply to you did I mention anything political.

2. If somebody sneezes their cloth mask isn’t stopping **** from getting on the freezer handle. Sneezing into their arm or shoulder would have as much, if not more, effect on keeping it from getting on the handle.

3. Again, you mention politics. I know how viruses spread. 99% of the world knows how viruses spread. The disagreement is you believe a piece of cloth over my face is going to prevent that virus from spreading, whereas I understand the mask doesn’t filter particles that small from escaping, especially when it’s exhaled with the force of a sneeze. Again I will request a study pointing to a heavily masked area that has lower rates of transmission and less cases than an area that is predominantly unmasked. If you provide that I will put on a mask and post a picture daily for your pleasure. If not, stop mentioning politics and stop telling me to wear a mask.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I imagine wearing a mask would be perfectly acceptable, and probably not wearing one as well. If you are fine with the risk involved why is it others problem. Now if the mask is required and he refuses that is a different issue. He could be worried that the event won't be allowed to happen, but that's a different issue with overreach. IMO
    I agree. If a place requires me to wear a mask and I want to abide by that rule so I can attend/enter I will do so. If not, I won’t attempt to enter or attend. I wear a mask to the doctor because it’s required and that’s a service I want to have so it’s a no brainer. I will not wear one in Kroger, if they require it I’ll spend my money elsewhere or order groceries online and do curbside pickup.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I agree. If a place requires me to wear a mask and I want to abide by that rule so I can attend/enter I will do so. If not, I won’t attempt to enter or attend. I wear a mask to the doctor because it’s required and that’s a service I want to have so it’s a no brainer. I will not wear one in Kroger, if they require it I’ll spend my money elsewhere or order groceries online and do curbside pickup.
    Are masks required in some stores but not others?
    Are they just encouraged in some stores?
    Do each store make their own policy or is it based on some state/city mandates?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Yeah those have been proven to not offer much protection.

But to be fair we shouldn't make fun of people who made those masks.
    I know a lot of people who started making those back in early 2020 when first responders and hospitals had a lack of PPE.
    People made them for others out of compassion and gave them away for free.
    I think it's a beautiful thing.

I myself received several from strangers at a time where it was hard to get surgical masks.

I never used them but it was a kind gesture.
    Folks even started to 3D print visors for hospitals.

That's what we should see.People coming together to help eachother out of kindness.

Making fun of someone for wearing a mask, or not wearing a mask leads nowhere.
    Yeah, I see where you are coming from but the whole point of PPE is the middle P - Protection. If someone gives you a mask that does not function, does not provide protection, it is, at best, a well meaning but empty gesture and, at worst, could lead someone to trust it for protection and go somewhere where they would not have gone without the mask and end up catching a virus they would not have caught without the phony mask.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Are masks required in some stores but not others?
    Are they just encouraged in some stores?
    Do each store make their own policy or is it based on some state/city mandates?
    All of the above.

For a while we had a mandate. Most places didn’t enforce it (where I’m at anyways) some did. Some places have signs that they are required but they don’t enforce it. Some will ask you to leave if you aren’t wearing one.

For example. Gas station by me has a sign that says “mask required”. I go there every morning for drinks for the day, have never wore a mask inside, never said a word to me. They know my name, been going there for years, they greet me, ask how I’m doing, and that’s it.

Menards won’t allow me inside without a mask. They used to have someone standing by the door that would sell you one if you didn’t have one.

Wal mart greeter will ask you if you want a mask. I kindly shake my head no as I keep walking by, they never say anything else.

Chicagos pizza has a sign “mask required until seated”. I’ve never wore a mask inside, they’ve never said a word.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It does not. We need science, not the teeth talk of the gun shop.

Wear a mask, you will not suffocate.

A very scientific opinion piece, I'm sure I could research and find doctors that have a different opinion.

Logic dictates that a restriction restricts...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah those have been proven to not offer much protection.

But to be fair we shouldn't make fun of people who made those masks.
    I know a lot of people who started making those back in early 2020 when first responders and hospitals had a lack of PPE.
    People made them for others out of compassion and gave them away for free.
    I think it's a beautiful thing.

I myself received several from strangers at a time where it was hard to get surgical masks.

I never used them but it was a kind gesture.
    Folks even started to 3D print visors for hospitals.

That's what we should see.People coming together to help eachother out of kindness.

Making fun of someone for wearing a mask, or not wearing a mask leads nowhere.
    Mandates should never be about feelz...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah, I see where you are coming from but the whole point of PPE is the middle P - Protection. If someone gives you a mask that does not function, does not provide protection, it is, at best, a well meaning but empty gesture and, at worst, could lead someone to trust it for protection and go somewhere where they would not have gone without the mask and end up catching a virus they would not have caught without the phony mask.
    When people made those masks our government said cloth masks were the solution.

People who made those masks believed cloth masks were better than no masks.

It was masks don't work at first, leave them to medical workers (because they do work and we don't have enough for everyone).

Then we went to wear cloth masks.

Now they say cloth masks don't work and they are banned in hospital, planes etc.

Some countries are going even further now, like Germany, saying surgical masks are not enough and everybody needs FF2 masks (similar to US N95).

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Oh and we also had a time when we were told "Only wear a mask if you are sick".

People looked at you weird if you had a mask in public when nobody else did and it wasn't mandatory.

Now they are saying "Wear a mask even if you are not sick".

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    All of the above.

For a while we had a mandate. Most places didn’t enforce it (where I’m at anyways) some did. Some places have signs that they are required but they don’t enforce it. Some will ask you to leave if you aren’t wearing one.

For example. Gas station by me has a sign that says “mask required”. I go there every morning for drinks for the day, have never wore a mask inside, never said a word to me. They know my name, been going there for years, they greet me, ask how I’m doing, and that’s it.

Menards won’t allow me inside without a mask. They used to have someone standing by the door that would sell you one if you didn’t have one.

Wal mart greeter will ask you if you want a mask. I kindly shake my head no as I keep walking by, they never say anything else.

Chicagos pizza has a sign “mask required until seated”. I’ve never wore a mask inside, they’ve never said a word.

I assumed they would not allow you into Walmart without a mask.
    I thought it was mandatory there but maybe folks just ignore their greeters.
    I have never understood why they have them anyway but that's another topic.

Over here you get yelled at if you walk to any store without a mask and they ask you to leave.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    When people made those masks our government said cloth masks were the solution.

People who made those masks believed cloth masks were better than no masks.

It was masks don't work at first, leave them to medical workers (because they do work and we don't have enough for everyone).

Then we went to wear cloth masks.

Now they say cloth masks don't work and they are banned in hospital, planes etc.

Oh and we also had a time when we were told "Only wear a mask if you are sick".

People looked at you weird if you had a mask in public when nobody else did and it wasn't mandatory.

Now they are saying "Wear a mask even if you are not sick".

Pretty much the same here with variances by regions.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It does not. We need science, not the teeth talk of the gun shop.

Wear a mask, you will not suffocate.

Yeah, 'the science' :rolleyes:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Some countries are going even further now, like Germany, saying surgical masks are not enough and everybody needs FF2 masks (similar to US N95).
    Unfortunately - they are right.

Also unfortunately - we do not have enough of the masks that would actually do what all the wear-a-maskers think they are doing with their pretend masks.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't have a science answer. But I sure wouldn't believe any of the numbers being put out. I think you would have to compare an area with a certain population density, to another of the same population density. Not just population vs population.
    What comparative numbers I have seen, the population density correlates much more closely with case numbers than either mask mandates or the lack of them

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Everyone cool with this?

The can't even agree on a value for R0. A value which is necessary to do the calculation for what percentage of immunity in the population constitutes herd immunity

I've heard everything from 2.4 to 5.7

@ 2.4 1-1/R0 = 1-1/2.4 = 58.33% recovered or vaccinated to achieve herd immunity

@ 5.7 1-1/R0 = 1-1/5.7 = 82.46% recovered or vaccinated to achieve herd immunity

There is A LOT of daylight between those two calculations

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    1. Just because you believe you know what is good for everyone doesn’t make it so.

2. A surgeon standing over an open orifice in my body for hours at a time is way different than me buying a frozen pizza in the frozen foods section of Kroger.

3. Quality of sources over Quantity. Don’t post 10 sites to make your point, give me 1 source that proves heavily masked areas in America have lower transmission rates than areas that are unmasked.
    I'm guessing you will NOT see the Denmark study quoted. Don't know why, just a feeling

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom