Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The vast majority of the 'masks' I see can not ever be very effective because they are just diapers and have no chance of sealing to the wearers face at all whether they have facial hair or not. If the mask does not seal its main purpose is for show.

I think in this case it's, "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

Just because you can't achieve a perfect seal doesn't mean that masks have no merit. Even some reduction is expiration particles is a reduction.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Nope...haven't worn one since the start, won't wear one now

Same here.

Have not skipped a day of work.

Have not missed any family celebrations.

Honest to God, I think a number of folks I see out there would kneel facing a pit with an armed soldier behind them if told to do so.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think in this case it's, "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

Just because you can't achieve a perfect seal doesn't mean that masks have no merit. Even some reduction is expiration particles is a reduction.

Don't bother throwing "perfect seal" in there. They don't seal at all and the expiration goes out all around them. They should do a tiny amount of reduction of the largest particles and that is about it.

Don't be fooled into thinking they are "good" when they are even lower than that. So the saying would be "Don't let perfect be the enemy of barely anything." which makes little sense.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So now someone who's gone through NBC training is considered an expert in viral epidemiology?

They know more than this excuse to push mask on people that can't even filter out pollen and tell people its going to stop covid19. This mask enforcement is another crack in the freedom dam that is holding back tyranny. If you don't get a proper seal such as wearing a beard it won't help because you'll breath it in around your beard. That's wearing a mask that actually has a chance at stopping the virus. Something you learn with nbc training.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Mask. Yesterday I was informed that a nurse I work with often is being taken off life support today, because she is essentially brain dead. She's leaving behind her 19 year old special needs son. 3 weeks ago she was fine. 47 years old.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    In order to protect the wearer, any mask needs to seal to the face. It is true that if you have a beard this ain't gonna happen. But it also ain't gonna happen if you wear a mask that cannot seal no matter how clean shaven you are. Almost all the masks I see out and about are the type that do not have a chance of sealing in the first place which makes the beard mostly irrelevant.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Nearly everywhere I go even restaurants, all I see are people wearing them like this, which does.... nothing
    shutterstock_1704465010.jpg

Her hotness quotient is high enough that I will allow it

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    For those who think it’s about control: to what end? So a theoretical group of politicians/scientists/etc. are sitting around a table and someone kicks out this idea to mandate masks just to see how many will do it? Was there a follow-up meeting a couple months later? What’s the cut-off percentage of wearers for “success?” What’s the next step in this scheme?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For those who think it’s about control: to what end? So a theoretical group of politicians/scientists/etc. are sitting around a table and someone kicks out this idea to mandate masks just to see how many will do it? Was there a follow-up meeting a couple months later? What’s the cut-off percentage of wearers for “success?” What’s the next step in this scheme?

Why do these questions always get framed as if Lex Luther had a meeting with Dr. Evil and they then had ancillary meeting with their henchmen? Ever heard of spontaneity?

Here is how I see the events as they unfolded. You probably could review the first wuwho flu thread to see it in real life.

After China unleashed the wuwho flu and it began spreading, folks were scared, authorities were projecting millions dead in the US alone. People were desperate to feelz like they were doing something to stop, protect from the virus. In about April a vocal group of, as they became known as "Karen's", began pushing masking, something that CDC nor WHO had ever recommended for respiratory diseases. By May they had a critical mass that dem governors picked up and by June even conservative governors had implemented.

There never were any meetings to start the masking. Success is 100% compliance, evidenced by citizen patrols in California, looking to catch offenders. This scheme will embolden those that do not care about individual rights to pursue further erosion of those rights, if not in this crisis, in the next.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Let's start peeling the onion. Conditioning people to blindly follow is a perennial favorite of the political class. I already know with certainty that out illustrious governor is corrupt and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Chamber of commerce, so I don't consider it much of a stretch to believe the indiana manufacturers producing significant quantities of masks are factored into his decisions. Likewise, it isn't much of a stretch to believe that the larger retailers who are doing comparatively well as their smaller competitors get choked out are drivers in public policy.

If there were any merit to it we would not have the people pushing this nonsense failing to participate themselves, we would not have the CDC admitting in the fine print that there is no evidence of effectiveness, and we would not have studies showing no significant difference. What has been done that is hugely important is that traditionally the sheep have been passive bystanders. Now they have been fully weaponized in the effort toward centralized control.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

It isn't like that.
    It is about control, but the masks are irrelevant. Nobody chose masks as the next expression for control, they just came about as a byproduct of a new virus. The control element was there long, long before masks. It is part of human nature in some people that have an unjustifiably overactive ego and they think they know what is best for everybody else. When these dick-tater-heads get into any position of authority they then have an opportunity to enforce their ideals on other people. It doesn't matter if they are a supervisor at DMV or President of the US. They don't fully recognize individual rights because they know what is better for people than the people do. They are convinced in their dick-tater-heads that they are right. If people disagree with them then those people are wrong and must be forced to do things the better way because they know it is better. That means the people must be controlled.
    These dick-tater-heads tend to band together and are currently known as the dumocrap party.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Illinois Mask Mandate Doesn't Work!

A few days ago I made a run to Southern Illinois to resupply the mother-in-law... had to stop for a bio break at a Huck's or whatever in a small town population less than 10,000.

The good news is, and I'll be charitable here, maybe half had masks on... but even the skinny side of 50% is better than the 0% on previous trips.

The bad news is every single one was worn as a chin-mask, not even d***-nosed. :rolleyes:

Just sayin'... "mask mandates don't work" is not the same as "masks don't work". Don't confuse the two.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A few days ago I made a run to Southern Illinois to resupply the mother-in-law... had to stop for a bio break at a Huck's or whatever in a small town population less than 10,000.

The good news is, and I'll be charitable here, maybe half had masks on... but even the skinny side of 50% is better than the 0% on previous trips.

The bad news is every single one was worn as a chin-mask, not even d***-nosed. :rolleyes:

Just sayin'... "mask mandates don't work" is not the same as "masks don't work". Don't confuse the two.

You could just say [people in general believe] masks don't work, leading to mask mandates not working. The point has been made before, if the general populace believed this disease was as sereious as some wish to make it out to be and believed masks would actually protect them, they would likely wear them and wear them correctly. So perhaps more effort should be devoted to proving masking (correctly) has a significantly protective effect, and then let the people choose what makes sense to them

Overhyping the deadliness of the disease and the effectiveness of masking doesn't seem to be working

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I think most people don't like to be told to do anything, but can be convinced to do something. Because of how polarized the country is right now, it's hard to imagine an overnight transformation at this point. If the local hospital fills up or if one's neighbor dies, then maybe that would change behavior.

A small example...and I dont' know the answer to my own question but perhaps you do.

I heard the statement made that the death rate of Covid is the same as the Flu this week. So I spoke up and asked, are the infection rates the same because for the first statistic to be meaningful.

I mean if 100 people get infected and 1 dies thats 1%. but if the other infects and kills 10/1000. then sure the death rate is the same but 1 is going to kill a lot more people.

You could just say [people in general believe] masks don't work, leading to mask mandates not working. The point has been made before, if the general populace believed this disease was as sereious as some wish to make it out to be and believed masks would actually protect them, they would likely wear them and wear them correctly. So perhaps more effort should be devoted to proving masking (correctly) has a significantly protective effect, and then let the people choose what makes sense to them

Overhyping the deadliness of the disease and the effectiveness of masking doesn't seem to be working

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think most people don't like to be told to do anything, but can be convinced to do something. Because of how polarized the country is right now, it's hard to imagine an overnight transformation at this point. If the local hospital fills up or if one's neighbor dies, then maybe that would change behavior.

A small example...and I dont' know the answer to my own question but perhaps you do.

I heard the statement made that the death rate of Covid is the same as the Flu this week. So I spoke up and asked, are the infection rates the same because for the first statistic to be meaningful.

I mean if 100 people get infected and 1 dies thats 1%. but if the other infects and kills 10/1000. then sure the death rate is the same but 1 is going to kill a lot more people.

I expect that the CFR will not vary if it is well established but that a higher Rzero would mean they would die in a more compressed time period. It would be immaterial if it took 10 infected people or 100 in order to cause 100 deaths, 100 would still be dead. The higher Rzero just means it would burn through the vulnerable faster

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Most of the people I see wear their mask properly, a few don't cover their nose, and a few just wear it on their chin like you mention.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom