• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    LOL. Now I really needed that. Due to COVID, we did not do our family camp this year at a state park. So now we are doing it at our house, expecting 20 people or so. First time I've attempted something bigger than 4-5 people ever. I have laid pavers, spread 6 21 ton loads of gravel, set up a fire pit, bought a new grill (ok that's not a hardship), bought patio furniture to accommodate. Why today I even took my first ever delivery of a porta potty.

Next year they will all want 30 amp service.

I read all that and took away that you got to get a new grill!!! Post the win on the board, that's a great day! Maybe not birth of a child great, but close! :D

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...I find it more than a little weird that all of a sudden more conservative people have taken up the “sex slavery” cause when the best evidence seems to show it is not significantly more of a problem than it was decades ago...but we can, what? Use it to dismiss the ‘Rona...make a political point? I don’t get it. 30 years of ignoring and issue and now: BLAM it’s everywhere...with made up pseudo-facts for support...

My suspected "whataboutism" explanation for this seems to have some support.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/how-covid-19-triggered-a-savethechildren-child-trafficking-panic/

https://www.truthorfiction.com/do-800000-children-go-missing-each-year-in-the-united-states/

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Got a treated lumber project to jump into so plenty glad the N95's are on hand. :)

Have you had your lumber for a very long time?

New treated lumber won't last nearly as long as the old stuff did, but it is dramatically less toxic. Arsenic isn't used anymore. And that change was made more than 15 years ago.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Unless you are really into just building a frame, Good luck of you dont already have the treated lumber. 5/4 and other decking materials are hard to come by. A buddy is trying to build his kids a fort in the woods. Has the frame up, but the project ground to a halt because there is a shortage of things smaller than 2" thick. And every time I wander down the treated lumber aisle all I see is >2" or uber expensive PVC decking. And hell, the PVC is still pretty light because apparently those that are insistent on proceeding, are switching to that stuff.

Somebody posted a tinfoil hat video about the shortage, but I had better things to do than watch that 45 minute rambling video. How long does it take to tell us what secret govt program is causing the issue?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Unless you are really into just building a frame, Good luck of you dont already have the treated lumber. 5/4 and other decking materials are hard to come by. A buddy is trying to build his kids a fort in the woods. Has the frame up, but the project ground to a halt because there is a shortage of things smaller than 2" thick. And every time I wander down the treated lumber aisle all I see is >2" or uber expensive PVC decking. And hell, the PVC is still pretty light because apparently those that are insistent on proceeding, are switching to that stuff.

Somebody posted a tinfoil hat video about the shortage, but I had better things to do than watch that 45 minute rambling video. How long does it take to tell us what secret govt program is causing the issue?

From what I hear at the yards is that they deemed the mills non-essential, even tho the lumber yards were open. Add to that the fact that so many of the people that were not allowed to go to work decided to take on home renovation projects.

The local Lowes was booming with business. Got to the point I hated to go in there because of all the people. They were doing in two weeks what they did in a month for sales. It was crazy, and this was before the mask mandate.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    My dad is a logger. Pallet logs are something you can always sell. As of now all the pallet places are not taking logs and most of the big sellers such as walnut have slowed dramatically. Mills just aren’t taking much right now and if they do you may wait weeks - months just to get paid for the load.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It wasn’t the government. It was tree huggers. Spiking trees like they do. Setting fire to saw mills and lumber yards. I kinda think it’s stimulus + lockdown + home projects = mass buying the **** out of building products.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It wasn’t the government. It was tree huggers. Spiking trees like they do. Setting fire to saw mills and lumber yards. I kinda think it’s stimulus + lockdown + home projects = mass buying the **** out of building products.

Yeah. Sometimes people think: “just make more”, but when you have sized your operation for a predictable range of demand over decades of experience, you can’t just turn a knob and “make more”. This is particularly true when there are defined limits of harvesting and time required for treatment. Add to that the fact that this added demand will probably be temporary and it is not a good idea to invest in increased capacity.

It’s fascinating how one thing affects another and very few, if any would have predicted it.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    We needed about 300 linear feet of treated 4*4 about 2 months ago. Took 2 weeks to find. Went to probably 8 big box stores and could never get anyone on the phone anywhere. Was right when people's stimulous checks were hitting, but still. It was pretty nuts.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I needed some more treated lumber to finish things and went to a non big box store (builders pro build). I went one day a few weeks ago and ordered a treated 2x4, treated 4x4, treated 2x6, and deck boards. They had it all and had it delivered the next day.

johny5

not a shill account
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I stopped into the local pizza shop yesterday to pick up some food for the family. A barefooted customer in the lobby confronted me about not wearing a mask.

I asked him why he did not have anything on is feet.

"Oh, it's cool, man, I just came from the pool"

:n00b:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

If people only wear masks and stop doing the other things:

“Face masks can be a complement to other things when other things are safely in place,” he said. “But to start with having face masks and then think you can crowd your buses or your shopping malls — that’s definitely a mistake.”

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sweden did none of the other things

Still better numbers than most of the rest of the EU with near zero current rate of new infections

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom