• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    A little question for you. What forms your opinions? What you read? See? Hear? Watch? Friends? Acquaintences? Political leanings? They all influence opinions whether you want them to or not.
    Ok, I don't know if I'm not being clear or if you're purposefully being obtuse. I wasn't discussing mask efficacy, science, or politics. You can't seem to get that regardless of the number of times I repeat it. I responded to someone's arrogant insistence that a person's shortness of breath while wearing a mask couldn't be a result of wearing the mask, even though the person struggling to breathe with it on says that's what it is. I think they would know a little more about what they're experiencing than someone arrogantly swerving out of their lane to proffer medical\scientific opinions on the internet.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Ok, I don't know if I'm not being clear or if you're purposefully being obtuse. I wasn't discussing mask efficacy, science, or politics. You can't seem to get that regardless of the number of times I repeat it. I responded to someone's arrogant insistence that a person's shortness of breath while wearing a mask couldn't be a result of wearing the mask, even though the person struggling to breathe with it on says that's what it is. I think they would know a little more about what they're experiencing than someone arrogantly swerving out of their lane to proffer medical\scientific opinions on the internet.

Final comment from me. I do get it, you weren't discussing those items. My point is that people here are stating opinions which are based based on many pieces of information including those items you weren't discussing. Based on where you get your information will impact your opinion. Opinions don't just magically appear.
    Arrogance is also an opinion based on information, observation, and a host of other items. Yes in many cases arrogance is visible (even on INGO) but it is a perception by an individual. No more, no less.
    All of this is of course my opinion.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe you should reread mine as well. I never said he was right or wrong, that it was his opinion based on information he took as fact.
    If he had put in all the details no one would read it because it would look like something a legislator wrote. He also said OOPS in lawyereze.

Twice in 1 day I've defended Kirk, I need to get a life!
    :runaway:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The problem here is that if a paper reports an estimated 10% efficacy of masks (and it is ALWAYS an estimate, it cannot be a hard number), then a true scientist and 'the science' will stop there. The scientist will usually not inject his opinion into the publishing process, even though he may think masking is useless. It should be left up to the individual but all pertinent information should be made available - including information that cuts against the grain of what the government wants

But someone like Fauci or Kirk WILL inject their opinion into the discussion, early and often, and then others will pick up the opinion and claim that THAT is 'the science'. It bears an uncomfortable resemblance to the way 'the' church (you know which one) used to interpret The Word for believers, because it was too dangerous, and the possibility of heresy (as judged by them, of course) was too high to let the rabble have their own opinion. That system offers too many entry points for manipulative behavior

With powerful social media companies working tirelessly to make sure only one viewpoint is supported, it is stupid to kvetch about who is presenting unorthodox information and how. You should be glad such information is still able to see the light of day
    I think only actual real ass scientists should get to say that someone is not following the science. That way no one will be following the science. And then we can call it a day.

Seriously though I do kinda think that. Kirk, or whoever, maybe your average rando blue-check Twitterer, admonishing people to follow the science or claiming that people who don't agree with them are not following the science, I think isn't helping.

It's something I've really hated for a long time now. It's like people arguing about global warming who aren't climatologists and really don't have the depth of working knowledge to do anything but throw experts at dissenters and claim they're anti-science. These people should just sit the **** down and let the real ass scientists debate stuff. Of course in public where everyone gets to hear the bad ideas being quashed. But, point is, we should all stop seeking proxies of the knowledge we lack to fight our internet battles as if we're smarter for it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    bqp5hGn.jpg

Top Bottom