• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What many of us have said for a long time...

Ff
    The President is fully vaccinated. He is outside. Masks have a role and the problem is that humanity is good at 0 or 100, at 50, not so much. Plus the pandemic has shown what a miserable job government schools have done with biology education. Americans do not understand the germ theory of disease, believing it is a political plot or the like.

The problem with masks is that we have done a **** poor job of education and now wearing one, or not wearing one, is seen as a political symbol beyond all reasoning.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    No I don't.

I say the human body is a helicopter, one little thing out of whack can cause a wreck, and if there is a problem then you need to talk to a medical doctor but it is likely not the mask but the anxiety that the mask causes. If there is a health problem, use medical science, not politics, to solve the problem.
    Yeah you did. I’m not going to go searching back hubdreds of pages if this crap when I told you that the wife with severe asthma would get light headed walking around stores while wearing masks. You said it wasn’t possible. So therefor we are liars. You said that repeatedly and then felt the need to call anyone that disagreed all sone fun names. Then you doubled down.

hamiltonrrwatch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2021
    N.W. IN
    Has anyone seen this yet? According to the article twitter has suspended at least one person who posted it. IDK how true that is. I'm going to try and read in the morning.

Masks are just as effective as a chain link fence stopping mosquitoes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah you did. I’m not going to go searching back hubdreds of pages if this crap when I told you that the wife with severe asthma would get light headed walking around stores while wearing masks. You said it wasn’t possible. So therefor we are liars. You said that repeatedly and then felt the need to call anyone that disagreed all sone fun names. Then you doubled down.
    I get short winded walking a big store with a mask on and so does CKW.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Did she go to the doc? What did the doc say (if you can tell us)?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    One problem is that people say "masks" like it is some monolithic definition of something. There is a whole spectrum of devices from full-on hazmat protection to the things you see worn at Walmart. This has been explained numerous times here but some people just don't get it. The ineffective toy masks frequently worn these days really are nothing more than a political farce.

Any mask that filters anything will always have a pressure differential across the filter medium and certainly has the potential to restrict oxygen intake and cause problems for many people. Anyone that denies that loses my attention in a real hurry.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    But, yeah, the whole "I can't breathe with the mask" is likely nonsense for a vast majority of people as per a multitude of studies. However, there are always exceptions, check with the doc.
    No real need to check with the doc, to know that wearing a mask (or two) will complicate breathing for his wife who has severe asthma. Likewise, no need to check with the doc to know that "anxiety that the mask causes" is likely nonsense

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Did she go to the doc? What did the doc say (if you can tell us)?
    She goes to multiple doctors including a pulmonologist for her asthma. She is “exempt” except no one acknowledges that. She wears a face shield all day at school. She shouldn’t have to wear anything but gotta virtue signal and all.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    She goes to multiple doctors including a pulmonologist for her asthma. She is “exempt” except no one acknowledges that. She wears a face shield all day at school. She shouldn’t have to wear anything but gotta virtue signal and all.
    Yup, goes to my point about the lack of public education. Face shield is perfectly fine, accomplishes the goal of the mask and she can function.

1. We did a horrible job teaching why the mask (or face shield) is important. Many still think it is to protect them (heck, I had this conversation in court with a fellow attorney who thought the mask was for them)

2. The mask immediately became a political banner instead of a way to help your fellow citizen.

3. The feds completely bungled up by issues conflicting advice and not setting a standard or even a goal (wear a mask because we say so).

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    No real need to check with the doc, to know that wearing a mask (or two) will complicate breathing for his wife who has severe asthma. Likewise, no need to check with the doc to know that "anxiety that the mask causes" is likely nonsense
    For people with reduced breathing capacity the uptick in CO2 can be noticeable. And, the increase can result in feelings of anxiety. To help the better 2/3's deal with it I coached her on complete exhalation and deep breathing, techniques that I had to learn long ago, long before the bank bug was even a gleam in Dr. Evil's eye.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am sorry if I offended you, Bob. If it is any consultation [Did you mean 'consolation' ? Or were you angling for a billable hour from the post exchange? :cool:] I was likely typing without reviewing context or what had come before.

I know loved ones are at issue and NO ONE needs any more stress (especially now) so I apologize to my fellow INGOer if I caused any consteration.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    But, yeah, the whole "I can't breathe with the mask" is likely nonsense for a vast majority of people as per a multitude of studies. However, there are always exceptions, check with the doc.
    You're coming off pretty arrogant sir. Of course you know everyone's problems better than they do. That arrogance just might be one of the reasons a large majority here consider your pontifications regarding mask efficacy just more of the same political b.s. you are ironically mocking.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You're coming off pretty arrogant sir. Of course you know everyone's problems better than they do. That arrogance just might be one of the reasons a large majority here consider your pontifications regarding mask efficacy just more of the same political b.s. you are ironically mocking.
    I understand that people don't like wearing masks, people don't like doing stuff that is good for them or what others tell them to do. Human nature is fixed, not plastic enough to create the New Fauci Man.

That is why education SHOULD have been stressed more. It was not stressed at all, and rumor, conspiracy and nonsense filled the gaps. I mean, we only have thousands of years of history to draw from during pandemics. There were anti-maskers during the Spanish flu, there will be anti-maskers during Covid-37 or whatever.

If we as a society want to do better, we need to educate, not dictate. Teach people why they should be wearing masks AND, conversely, telling the NPR crowd when wearing masks all alone in the park on a sunny day is inane. 0 or 100, we don't do 50 well at all.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I understand that people don't like wearing masks, people don't like doing stuff that is good for them or what others tell them to do. Human nature is fixed, not plastic enough to create the New Fauci Man.

That is why education SHOULD have been stressed more. It was not stressed at all, and rumor, conspiracy and nonsense filled the gaps. I mean, we only have thousands of years of history to draw from during pandemics. There were anti-maskers during the Spanish flu, there will be anti-maskers during Covid-37 or whatever.

If we as a society want to do better, we need to educate, not dictate. Teach people why they should be wearing masks AND, conversely, telling the NPR crowd when wearing masks all alone in the park on a sunny day is inane. 0 or 100, we don't do 50 well at all.
    I'm not sure what any of this has to do with my prior response to your insistence that people who say they have difficulty breathing with a mask on is b.s. because you know better.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

So screw the researchers at Stanford.

"The existing scientific evidences challenge the safety and efficacy of wearing facemask as preventive intervention for COVID-19. The data suggest that both medical and non-medical facemasks are ineffective to block human-to-human transmission of viral and infectious disease such SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19, supporting against the usage of facemasks."

Top Bottom