• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I need some input. My son is of the age where I think he's old enough to start shooting with me, and I want to find a rifle for him. I'm worried that a Cricket or similar rifle will be too small for him to use properly and safely. On the flip side getting a full size rifle will be to big for him to be safe with.
    I want to start teaching him on a bolt action rifle.

Does anyone have a recommendation what I could look at for a rifle for my son.

Thanks.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    I have been working on a similar thing for my daughter , for semi-auto I think I am going with 10/22 with the adjustable stock (looks AR15-ish like daddy's too ) , but for starters I think we are going with the rossi combo with the 22lr barrel and 410 barrel.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    I'm willing to teach my son the basics on a semi-auto.. it's just a preference I have for the bolt action for his first.

Try to find a youth model that is simply a shorter stock than the regular model. Then when your son grows, you can get him a standard length stock, and he can use his first rifle all his life.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Is the savage rascal too small?

if you decide to go semi, I'd get a 10/22 with a youth stock or std stock and buy an aftermarket stock. I got the Blackhawk axiom adjustable stock and it is very nice and relatively inexpensive.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I run a blackhawk axiom stock on two ruger 10/22's. Adjustable stock makes it fit everyone... and my son's can grow with him.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I second the savage MKII youth. Shorter barrel, more compact stock. Small enough for a kid, big enough for an adult, plus a ten round magazine so they won't get bored.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    For the grandkids I am thinking about the Ruger American Rimfire Compact. Bolt action and takes the 10 round 10/22 magazines. I think its around $275 or so.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm sure there is more than one youth rifle among our ranks that someone here would be willing to let him try out just to make sure its not too small. I have one, but alas I'm nowhere near lafayette.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Win 67a single shot bolt for kids.
    the cub by savage.
    Cz scout come to mind.

The win 67 can be found rather easy for an old rifle. The weight makes it easy to shoot. I have an old Stevens youth single shot we used for years on the trap line. Still going strong some 100 years later.

Top Bottom