• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I have patches, I have plugs I have replacement valve things that screw inside the valve stem. I don't have complete replacement valve stems.

Guess what failed on me last week.....the rubber valve stem itself.

Anyone know if they are standardized or are there a million different types with the new pressure sensors....

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have patches, I have plugs I have replacement valve things that screw inside the valve stem. I don't have complete replacement valve stems.

Guess what failed on me last week.....the rubber valve stem itself.

Anyone know if they are standardized or are there a million different types with the new pressure sensors....

Call up or stop by a tire shop and ask them. At least with the non pressure sensor stuff I am near positive they are all the same.

Indy500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I also believe they are fairly standard. For field repair, I like the type that has 2 halves that screw together.

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    Those tire pressure sensors on these "new" cars are another Government mandated issue that the Car makers had to comply with......

The Government in your pocket.com story.

There are a handful of different styles, get ready to bend over. Most stores (Discount Tire, Indy Tire etc....) will make a tidy profit upselling these requirements.

Run to the out-of-towners (Avon, Franklin, Greenfield etc...) local Auto repair and fix what is broke and nothing else (unless it's needed).

Don't ask how I know.

Tom

johnh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Mooresville, IN
    I work for a small shop, If you want tell me your car type and val ve stem type and i can tell you where to go to get what u need and if its a Ford I can get you the part number too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I work for a big tire shop... I am the technician, not tire guy, but I have had to diagnose and mess around with those things a bit so far... Each one is different by manufacturer, some have band clamps and sensors affixed, some have RF tabs, others are plugs, I could keep going.... all in all, either they are direct or indirect alert systems. Some are a pain, some are easy... it has to go by vin usually... And yes, you can put a rubber valve stem in place of those sensors, but your TPMS light will stay on and beep like crazy...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I also believe they are fairly standard. For field repair, I like the type that has 2 halves that screw together.

No, the guidelines are standardized, not the sensors/components themselves... And some use other components that others don't... That's like telling me Ford is easier to work on then Chevy and Chevy is better than Toyota etc.... It's not all the same...

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Should be able to get some at any auto parts store.
    Get a 4 way valve core tool as well. It will screw onto the threads of the valve stem to help you pull the stem through the wheel.
    Do you already have a dismount hammer and a set of tire spoons?
    If not, you need those as well.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'v been wanting to try the wd40 rim mounting trick

WD-40 won't work, not volatile enough. Starting fluid.. just make sure you pull the valve core. I have done it countless times on skidloaders and big off-road tires, works like a champ, but pull the valve core first.

Top Bottom