• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    GF & I did some work on her property in Madison Sunday. We got attacked by vampire spiders! None bit her fortunately. Me, 7 bites & found two attached & 3 hiding in my hair!!! It's Thursday now and I'm still paranoid. Every little itch feels like a tick.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    GF & I did some work on her property in Madison Sunday. We got attacked by vampire spiders! None bit her fortunately. Me, 7 bites & found two attached & 3 hiding in my hair!!! It's Thursday now and I'm still paranoid. Every little itch feels like a tick.

Every time I read up on this thread, I feel bugs crawling on me. It's especially bad laying in bed at night. :nailbite:

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Treated my yard,and trees 2 days ago. I am not dealing with a yard full of ticks. I enjoy being outside to much.
    I do treat every year,so far it has worked well. Now if I could just end every moles existance life would be wonderful.

What did you use to treat your yard & trees (chemical and method)? Always looking for new ideas.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Bifen is my go to for mosquitos but I'm sure it will work for ticks. It used to be 25% but now it's 7%. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place tho
    You are right about bifen. There additives that will extend the kill power by sterilizing larvae. The big deal is application with a blower/mister sprayer. Under leaves, deep in bushes and ornamentals, under decks. Generally anywhere it’s shady during the day and of course damp locations.

Bifen is labeled for ticks and a host of other bugs like stink bugs and box elder bugs. For my money “do my own” is a great place to do business with. They have knowledgeable people in customer service. Just tell them what you are doing and your method of application and they will help. As an aside they do not deal in rup chemicals.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Treated my yard,and trees 2 days ago. I am not dealing with a yard full of ticks. I enjoy being outside to much.
    I do treat every year,so far it has worked well. Now if I could just end every moles existance life would be wonderful.
    Diazinon will kill everything moles feed on and they will move on. I don’t know if the state has listed it as a rup tho.

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    My Mom has a lot of pines and my dogs run there for 1/2 hr average at a time every couple of days. Last year her tick jar had 150 ticks. Today I counted and we are up to 116 already since 1/1/23. It's a banner year for ticks.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    3 in 3 days. One on my neighbor's shoulder when we were out back talking. One in the entranceway of the house (good eye kid), and one at work crawling on the floor. This mild winter didn't help at all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah they are bad.

I stopped by Chinook monday to check out the pits for future fishing. I walked around a bit but not more than 5 mins.

Fast forward to last night. I found an adult tick on my neck embedded but not engorged. Still not sure how he was still there because I showered twice. He must have been in my clothes, wandered out and found me again. I'd think 24 hours on my neck he'd be at least a bit swollen.

This is the first tick I can remember.

Diazinon will kill everything moles feed on and they will move on. I don’t know if the state has listed it as a rup tho.
    Wasnt that banned years ago?

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Worried our Dalmatian was bit by a tick and has lyme disease now. She gets a topical every month and is only ever in our small fenced in backyard that has 2 bradford pear trees. She is showing all of the signs. She went to the vet Friday and they gave her an anti-inflammatory med, iv hydration, and did bloodwork to check her kidneys. Took her back Monday as we hadn't seen improvement over the weekend like the vet said we would. They took another blood sample to check for lyme and gave us doxycycline. Hoping to see some improvement soon.

Last edited:

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I struggle with deciding what is worse…. All the chemicals to try and keep bugs at bay or dealing with the bugs.

So I use mechanical methods on my property short grass, no standing water, lots of chickens, and fire to remove leaf litter.

Obviously this does NOT extend into the woods…. I still minimize water but nothing else back there and the ticks are brutal. I am working on a prescribed burn. But fire scares me lol had a few get away from me. So will have to schedule someone to come out at some point. Leaf litter is the ticks ideal location saw some studies people are always worried about tall grass that isn’t really where they thrive.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hate these threads. Have not had a tick on me for decades. Used Permethrin when hunting Greene Sullivan. Plus Off on skin.

Makes me a little ill breathing the skin and clothing stuff.

Went groundhog hunting a few times. Zero repellent. But its just nasty jagged clay w half eaten soybeans.....proly low tick population LOL

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    Below is an interesting article of what wife has been enduring for over a year.
    I send it so that you can be aware beyond ticks Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, that Alpha Gal is something that you should protect yourself from.
    “Based on our survey of 1,500 physicians and medical professionals, nearly half of them had never even heard of the syndrome,"
    At times, the itching was absolutely unbearable to her. She hasn’t had red meat for over a year, eliminated dairy products for a year, but just now has been able to tolerate some butter & cheese.
    This is a good article & people do have different reactions.

**Insect repellent might be something that you might consider like you have never done before.
    It was on Indy FOX ch 59 this morning too
    We have 2 neighbors that have had it awhile.
    Mysterious illness triggered by tick bite could affect thousands, yet many doctors are unaware of it
    https://www.foxnews.com/health/myst...ck-bite-affect-thousands-many-doctors-unaware

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I struggle with deciding what is worse…. All the chemicals to try and keep bugs at bay or dealing with the bugs.

So I use mechanical methods on my property short grass, no standing water, lots of chickens, and fire to remove leaf litter.

Obviously this does NOT extend into the woods…. I still minimize water but nothing else back there and the ticks are brutal. I am working on a prescribed burn. But fire scares me lol had a few get away from me. So will have to schedule someone to come out at some point. Leaf litter is the ticks ideal location saw some studies people are always worried about tall grass that isn’t really where they thrive.
    Hunted a mature woods. Leaf little always there and deep ( lots of big oaks ). But it was higher ground and had ravines to drain water away.

20 yrs. One wood tick on pants.

The deer i killed had ticks as well as the turkeys.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Only one tick so far this year....and I'm out in the weeds, woods or fields everyday .
    Chiggers are another story,I've had as many as 14/15 bites atone time and this is with DEET spray.

Top Bottom