• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I had a male boxer that was very tolerant of small children but would attack any dog he saw that was his size or larger. That made for some embarrassing walks when I had to restrain him as other dogs went by. Also, boxers are prone to skin and eye disease along with the inevitable arthritis. My guy had papers and came from a breeder, but didn't make it to his tenth birthday. That said, they are great dogs, you just have to show them who is in charge.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I'm another vote for Boxer. We have three and by far are the best dogs I've ever had. Loyal, protective, easily trained, love kids, and have scared off a couple would be intruders.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    We are looking too. For years I have wanted a GSD or GSD/mix puppy to raise. Current dog is GSD but she was a FOUND dog - every indication she was initially a pet, was beat and/or abandoned and we got her at 1-2 yrs old. Most loveable dog ever. But NOT a guard dog, in fact she is the last one in the house to notice if anyone pulls in or comes to a door. As a child, my folks had the worlds best GSD - protective, smart, playful, awesome etc. Last dog we had lived to 11+, was a GSD/Collie mix. Also a great dog - great with our kids, protective and lovable. All this leads to my current situation. Yesterday my wife found 2 different litters offered in the paper very near us. One is AKC GSD ($$$$), the other is GSD/Blk Lab mix ($). Both owners sent her pix on her ph. Any suggestions? Don't tell me to pick the cute one... she loved all that she saw pictures of. Have heard horror stories of hip problems (current GSD is showing signs of that now), cost is also an issue. Not sure about Blk Labs but family member has had 3 Yellow labs - Lovely, friendly, playful, STUPID dogs. Many dollars of damage caused - chewed drywall, brake lines (yes TWICE). Don't get me wrong, ANY dog we pick be get more than its share of love, I am trying to also maximize the PROTECTIVE quality and mimimize the costs. Thanks.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I also farm and see a lot of dogs and no doubt German shepards and Rots are at the top of my list for the most intimidating but pound for pound the most tenacious dog I have ever seen is a Blue heeler. They make great farm dogs and are actually good protection for the family.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I vote a GSD. I have had mixed breed and they were great dogs, but my 4 yr old GSD Emma goes above and beyond what I am used to with dogs. Incredibly loving, fiercely protective, amazingly smart. When my 1 and 4 year old nieces come over they climb on top of her and she never bats and eye. If a stranger knocks on the door it's like Armageddon.

I'm sure there are many other breeds like this, I just have a soft spot in my heart for GSD.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Every dog I've ever had has been a gsd mutt. GSD/Collie, GSD/Dob and now GSD/Husky. All have been practically perfect dogs. I will never buy an inbred (purebred) dog because of the genetic problems that arise in them. Love my mutts.

My GSD/Collie was the best dog I've ever had. If anything she was too timid, but she did know when someething wasn't right and would step in, but I don't think she had it in her to use force.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    GSD for protection and very good with kids but they do shed. A lot. Will this dog be an inside dog too? That makes a huge difference too.
    All dogs will shed regardless what one thinks. If it has hair it will shed. Some just shed worse than others. If you want one that is good with kids , great intimidator, great protector..... GSD, Rott. Cons, they shed. I guess you will have to out weigh the pros and cons on your new doggie. We have a mixed ( chow & ?) and he is a awesome, then we have our GSD who is the intimidator and protector and unfortunately they both are big shedders. A Schnauzer is an option too with little shedding.
    Just one thought too. Our full blood GSD has more health issues than our mixed doggie. Nothing wrong with a mixed breed.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Love a good heeler though they can be a tad nippy if their herding drive is super high. I would only get a puppy to raise with the kids not an adult dog and really check out the pups parents. Love Ridgebacks also but as you have to watch herding drive in heelers watch prey drive and energy in sight hounds. Some ridgebacks are super social some are more stand offish and more focused on the chase. Good luck. I good dog is really a gift from God.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Primarily will be an outside dog. Growing up we never had pets in the house and I still don't. I'm leaning towards another Aussie. The one I had for 15 years was the best dog ever. I'm looking to rescue one if possible. Not really wanting to do the puppy thing again. Thanks for all the input.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA

Stuffed. Doesn't poop in the yard, no vet bills, no eaten furniture, no walks that eat into shooting time, no hassles when traveling.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My favorite has always been the Rottweiler. Their size and stature is intimidating enough that most people won't even bother to cross their path, but they also have a good instinct of knowing when to be protective. Yet, they are BIG babies around their families and not aggressive at all until they know it's needed. Best instincts on this of any large dog I've been around. They don't shed as much as long haired dogs like shepherds, and when they do their hair is so heavy that it falls off without really sticking to anything.

Meet Barney Fife. He's 130lbs now.

F9680A66-DAD6-48B1-A480-5D8C6F2EBBE8-8231-000005C2C1AEA31E_zps7846326a.jpg

194BCBE4-D29F-4BB1-9780-1057CAAD6E77_zpsvg9myboa.png

We've had all kinds of dogs. English Springer Spaniels, Collies, Dobermans, Golden Retrievers, German Shepard's and Rottweilers.

Out of all of those, the Rotties have been the best. Smart, loyal, laid back, love to play and nap, loves butt rubs, love children.

My parents are actually hoping to breed them someday.

Me, I'll always have a Rotty. Don't get me wrong, I love German Shepards, but I think Rotts are better.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I got a rotty mix from a rescue (I actually got it for a friend who couldn't afford the adoption fee). Friend changed her mind, rescue wouldn't refund money, so I brought Dawson home. He was an awesome dog, but I had to take him back because the big doofus kept knocking my mom over and five dogs was just too many.

And on the grooming topic. Yes, some dogs shed, and yes, it does help cut down on the shedding if they are brushed regularly. I don't think anyone ever complained about the shedding or about brushing a dog. It's just necessary. I have two white Eskies and a cream sable Pom, and no matter how much I brush them, I have white hair everywhere, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    As you probably already know since you have said you have owned them before Australian Shepherds are great dogs as long as you can give them the room and exercise they require. Labs are great with kids and believe it or not they can be somewhat protective, they just are not one of the breeds people perceive as intimidating.

I'm interested to know what kind of bad luck have you had with the shelter? Was it just the adopition process itself or did it have to do more with the animal that you had gotten from the shelter? Because I'm not saying this is true for all dogs but for the most part you get out of your dog what you put into him/her, training time spent, ect, ect.

Only dog I was ever bitten by when I worked in the vet's kennel was a lab. He wasn't going for me, but he was clearly exercising his right to let the other dogs know where geopolitical boundaries were. The pit bull was constantly testing perimeter security and the lab would have none of it. I caught the worst of their version of diplomacy. I have never considered labs a docile dog since.

I also farm and see a lot of dogs and no doubt German shepards and Rots are at the top of my list for the most intimidating but pound for pound the most tenacious dog I have ever seen is a Blue heeler. They make great farm dogs and are actually good protection for the family.
    Tenacious is an understatement. My dad had a red heeler and that damn thing tried to herd every moving object. It punctured the sidewall of my Suburban's tire. He was awful from a protective standpoint though. But that may have had as much to do with circumstances and upbringing as anything else.

Top Bottom