• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I'm looking for a new dog. Trying to get ideas. I used to have a German shepherd but the ex got her in the divorce. I've had Australian shepherds before and they're great dogs. I have 2 small children 1 and 4. I would like one that will be great with them and protective and also if they're playing in the yard, nobody will want to stop and try and grab them. I'm not at home during the day a lot and work long hours during spring and fall. I farm. I know I could go to my shelter but I've not had good luck getting animals from the shelter. If you have a certain breed that would be a good suggestion, please share the pros and cons. Thank you

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've had five American Eskimos over the years. They are smart, loyal dogs, not too big, and they make good watchdogs. The downside is, you'll never wear black again.

I know the lady who owns the dog jumping through the hoop in this video. You might also want to check out the other ones in the series for info on other dog breeds.

[video=youtube;R72NjafeB7U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R72NjafeB7U[/video]

Last edited:

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Yeah the German shepherd would shed too. Wouldn't mind another GS but would like one a little more laid back.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I've never owned own, but am planning on it. Beauceron basically size temperment everything but color very similar to a german shepard. Theyre French and colored like a doberman.Give them a look.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    As you probably already know since you have said you have owned them before Australian Shepherds are great dogs as long as you can give them the room and exercise they require. Labs are great with kids and believe it or not they can be somewhat protective, they just are not one of the breeds people perceive as intimidating.

I'm interested to know what kind of bad luck have you had with the shelter? Was it just the adopition process itself or did it have to do more with the animal that you had gotten from the shelter? Because I'm not saying this is true for all dogs but for the most part you get out of your dog what you put into him/her, training time spent, ect, ect.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I got a pup from there and it had parvovirus. Not a good deal. Also it's really hard to tell how they will act after they've been out of the shelter and not all wound up because they're getting attention.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I can understand getting a sick dog would be a big turn off. Things like that are hard to get over especially if you get attached, not to mention the financial aspect of it.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Exactly. Just trying to get ideas. Loved my Aussie. Had him for 15 years. One of the best dogs I've ever had.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Yeah they are great dogs if you have the space for them to be active. That's were a lot of people make their mistake with that breed. They live in apartments or what not and are not able to give them the amount of exercise they need and they become destructive. But I will totally agree they are a wonderful breed. Smart, loyal and great with kids.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I live out in the country and have about 1.5-2 acres in invisible fencing. It could have more room to run if needed and go with me to work and run around there.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    More laid back than a GSD? You must have had a hyper one. My aussie is going on 12. She's cool, but I'm a Belgian Sheepdog guy. (Groenendael variety) My male is 7 right now, you would still think he is 2.
    Laid back however, they are NOT. Awesome? Check. Protective of the kids? Super Check. Intimidating? You betcha. Laid back? No way... lol.
    My wife has forbid me from any more dogs after these, but I will... I will... one day have another Groenendael.

tonyb71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    So. Indiana
    I love German Shepherds and grew up with 2 so you can't go wrong there but the shedding is bummer. I highly recommend a Boxer. We had one and she was awesome with our kids. They did everything you can imagine to her and not once did she ever growl or try to bite at them. She was very protective of them especially when other dogs came around.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I love German Shepherds and grew up with 2 so you can't go wrong there but the shedding is bummer. I highly recommend a Boxer. We had one and she was awesome with our kids. They did everything you can imagine to her and not once did she ever growl or try to bite at them. She was very protective of them especially when other dogs came around.

OP this, a Boxer, is a breed that fits your description very well. Great with kids, very trainable, can be very protective and is very intimidating looking. You should do a little research on the breed if your not very familiar with them.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    As you probably already know since you have said you have owned them before Australian Shepherds are great dogs as long as you can give them the room and exercise they require. Labs are great with kids and believe it or not they can be somewhat protective, they just are not one of the breeds people perceive as intimidating.

I'm interested to know what kind of bad luck have you had with the shelter? Was it just the adopition process itself or did it have to do more with the animal that you had gotten from the shelter? Because I'm not saying this is true for all dogs but for the most part you get out of your dog what you put into him/her, training time spent, ect, ect.

Our black lab/GSD is very territorial, at least in the back yard. We had the sliding door replaced and when the crew came she put on her big girl bark and had them cowering in the side yard. I figure she'd be like that in the house, as well; burglar comes in and the dark comes to life.

We just got one that looks lot like your avatar, but fluffier and his ears flop. He considers the fence just a suggestion. Gonna have to train him to stay in before he trains the other one to get out. He seems to stay around, but Trillian is dumb enough to wander off.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have had many dogs over the years, and my vote would go to a Rhodesian ridge back. I have had the breed in the past, and they are super family dogs. They bread them in Africa to pack hunt lions, so they had to be super smart or die. They are very protective of there family especially children. They are very appreciative of there home and family. The original breeders bred them to do everything you can possibly think of, like baby set there kids, feed them selfs, herd, guard, work, etc. They have wonderful temperaments. They are a large breed, with females weighing around 70-80 pounds and males weighing 100+. No matter what breed you get, if a pure bred get one from a reputable breeder.

Dave

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I have had many dogs over the years, and my vote would go to a Rhodesian ridge back. I have had the breed in the past, and they are super family dogs. They bread them in Africa to pack hunt lions, so they had to be super smart or die. They are very protective of there family especially children. They are very appreciative of there home and family. The original breeders bred them to do everything you can possibly think of, like baby set there kids, feed them selfs, herd, guard, work, etc. They have wonderful temperaments. They are a large breed, with females weighing around 70-80 pounds and males weighing 100+. No matter what breed you get, if a pure bred get one from a reputable breeder.

Dave

Dave makes a very good statement here. And that's if you go with a pure breed get one from a reputable breeder. I can not stress this enough.

I myself as years have gone by have found myself very satisfied with mixed breeds. It seems like one tends to escape a lot of the genetic issues that comes along with pure breeds when going with a mixed breed. But then again a reputable breeder will help minimize that but still that chances are higher of health issues of that sort with a pure breed than a mixed. Don't get me wrong if your looking for a specific type of dog by all means get what you are looking for as for each breed has it's own purpose. Just something you may want to consider OP.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not necessarily laid back (ours is, but she is the exception I think), but if you like Aussies, take a look at Border Collies. Great working dog, love to play with children, and exceptionally smart.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My favorite has always been the Rottweiler. Their size and stature is intimidating enough that most people won't even bother to cross their path, but they also have a good instinct of knowing when to be protective. Yet, they are BIG babies around their families and not aggressive at all until they know it's needed. Best instincts on this of any large dog I've been around. They don't shed as much as long haired dogs like shepherds, and when they do their hair is so heavy that it falls off without really sticking to anything.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Labrador? We've got a yellow lab, loves the outdoors, very territorial, great with kids, and has both personalities (calm & rowdy). I can tell if he's been cooped up to long and needs attention, but with as much land as you've got that should never be a problem. I've always had labs, mom and dad had labs my entire childhood growing up and still have labs, and I've carried on the tradition.

Top Bottom