Indianapolis

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Or maybe it's ideological, because it seems to reflect some of his pre-candidate views. Why can't it be that, instead?

Comes back to trust. Do you trust what Trump is saying now, or do you trust what Trump said before he was a candidate?

I don't trust either because I really don't see consistent ideological principles driving what he says. It's my judgement of the person I see. If trump has any ideology, it's Trump. Single payer healthcare? Why not? Pragmatically, every employer should want that because that's a huge chunk of compensation that he doesn't have to deal with.

I still can't believe Carson is as high as he is. He was on Fox Business saying why he's still running... I'm guessing being a Presidential candidate does wonders for book sales and website clicks.

So with Kasich and Carson... let's say they drop after Nevada. There's 20%. Where do you guys think that will go? How much will Trump get, Rubio, Cruz... Clinton, Sanders?

GOP National (Rasmussen, post-SC):

Trump 36%
    Rubio 21%
    Cruz 17%
    Kasich 12%
    Carson 8%

Carson seems to really like the attention. But no sign of him getting out. As long as he's taking in enough donations to finance his campaign, he'll probablykeep running. What does he have to lose as long as he doesn't run out of money. But I don't see either of them wining any states.

Trump supporters must be hoping that they both stay in because Trump's ceiling is probably no higher than 40%. He needs other candidates to continue splitting the much higher "not Trump" vote.

I don't really see much of a path for Rubio to win many states, especially with Carson and Kasich in. From your numbers the "establishment" vote is 33%, assuming all the Kasich voters would support Rubio. It's a ****ing mess with those guys in there. It's causing the least liked candidates to be on top. Really a ****ed up system.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Trump supporters must be hoping that they both stay in because Trump's ceiling is probably no higher than 40%. He needs other candidates to continue splitting the much higher "not Trump" vote.

What is this based on? I keep hearing this ceiling that Trump has, but where are the facts that it exist? Not calling you out, but I've seen this mentioned on TV and other websites but nobody ever provides details of how this assumed ceiling has been determined.

I mean he's currently at 36% in national polling with 4 other candidates in the race. If other candidates (especially Carson or Cruz) leave the race then Trump is surely going to get a portion of the voters, he wouldn't need very much to break through this hypothetical 40% ceiling.

Of course these are all the same people that said he would never make it this far.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Huh, I didn't know Trump was in the 'vaccines = autism' pool.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/09/18/trump-anti-vax-idiotarian

I think I'm starting to get it. You take all of INGO's favorite conspiracies, and pepper in my INGO ignore list... and you've got a Presidential candidate.

I finally understand where the appeal is coming from here.

Dammit, Janet, I'm frozen out of rep until I can rep you for that other thread. But that's funny right there.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Depending on how much weight to be afforded matchup polls, Trump has the least chance of winning against Clinton.

Trump, -2.8%
    Cruz, even
    Rubio, +4.7
    Kasich, +7.4

How about dem apples? :)

The flip side of that is Sanders is beating just about everybody(RCP). I think I will take such polling this early with a yuuuuge grain of salt

View attachment 45383

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would like to revisit this. It was easy to spin this such that it could be dismissed as "old news" or that the information was stale. Indeed, some of it probably is.

Or that 9/11 was a conservative epiphany for Trump, as it was for some others.

But, it turns out Trump's support for Dems is also fairly recent.
    Donald Trump Has Donated Heavily To Democrats In The Past | The Daily Caller

It also documents significant recent support for the staunch conservative, Harry Reid.

Maybe you should re-revisit it. Trump's campaign dollars flowed to both parties - Times Union

It's the local Albany metro area newspaper

"Long before he became the Republican front-runner for the White House, Donald Trump was a New York real estate mogul whose political donations flowed to governors and state lawmakers of both major parties.State Board of Elections records show Trump has since the beginning of 2000 given more than $640,000 to candidates for local and state office, plus New York party organs. A Times Union analysis shows the contributions were split roughly evenly between Democrats and Republicans, though his giving over the past five years — a period in which Trump flirted with a 2012 Republican presidential run and a 2014 challenge to Gov. Andrew Cuomo — reflects a greater affinity for the GOP.
    Trump's past generosity to Democrats has been picked up in recent weeks by his Republican rivals, particularly U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, as a way to cast doubts on his conservative bona fides. Trump has argued that his business interests benefited from the support of those on both sides of the aisle, and said that his political beliefs have evolved rightward — a process he has likened to Ronald Reagan's transformation from New Deal Democrat to conservative icon."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Didn't you post the list of donations to democratic candidates, which conveniently omits the donations to Republicans? On of the fact checking .orgs showed his contributions have been historically balanced, but since running as a Republican have tilted towards them overall. He did support democrats. But reality agrees with his explanation that he gave to both parties because that's what businesses do.

It's more honest to present the truth and say he supports crony capitalism. But that doesn't matter either. The only thing that will stop him is if the candidates who don't stand a chance get out in time before he wins most of the primaries. The "not Trump" support is way bigger than the Trump support. Bit it is diluted by several candidates. Carson and Kasich have no chance of winning any of the winner takes all states. Doing "well" in those states is completely meaningless.

It might be time to dust this off again. It is here solely as an exemplar of how the business of campaign contributions is done. It happens to be the Koch brothers, who hopefully will be of satisfactory idealogical purity. Its frustrating when people want to use giving to Democrats when he was a businessman and not running for office (and a businessman in a deep blue state to boot) as evidence of apostacy, but dismiss evidence of other businessmen doing exactly the same thing as an unallowed 'everybody does it' defense. Showing that it is how business is done is getting at the reason he did it, and that reason is NOT that he is a liberal democratic sleeper agent - unless the Koch bros. are too

View attachment 45384

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    codeModality: 61054
    hexHash: 08B4162
    levelSecret: Priority
    exRecipient: Jamil
    /* begin coded message:
    Thatay thingay thatay ooyay trieday ootooay oodooay thatay idn'tay orkway ouldshay orkway ownay.
    : end coded message */

ontday orgetfay ootay ipeway atthay erversay ( ithway a ustday agray ollay )

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It happens to be the Koch brothers, who hopefully will be of satisfactory idealogical purity. Its frustrating when people want to use giving to Democrats when he was a businessman and not running for office (and a businessman in a deep blue state to boot) as evidence of apostacy, but dismiss evidence of other businessmen doing exactly the same thing as an unallowed 'everybody does it' defense.

My issue there - as with the original pic of Trump's dem donations is that it only tells part of the story. I'd bet - without even googling - that the Koch brothers have given 10x that amount to Republicans.

Yet, with Trump, at least at the national level, it appears that he supported the Democrat Party more than the Republican.

Plus, the Koch brothers aren't actually running to be The Guy. They are supporting people who want to be The Guy. Those are 2 very different roles.

Trump as kingmaker is one thing. More power to him. Trump as King is a different thing. More power for him.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What is this based on? I keep hearing this ceiling that Trump has, but where are the facts that it exist? Not calling you out, but I've seen this mentioned on TV and other websites but nobody ever provides details of how this assumed ceiling has been determined.

I mean he's currently at 36% in national polling with 4 other candidates in the race. If other candidates (especially Carson or Cruz) leave the race then Trump is surely going to get a portion of the voters, he wouldn't need very much to break through this hypothetical 40% ceiling.

Of course these are all the same people that said he would never make it this far.

The 57% unfavorable rating is where they get it.

Donald Trump Favorable Rating - Polls - HuffPost Pollster!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My issue there - as with the original pic of Trump's dem donations is that it only tells part of the story. I'd bet - without even googling - that the Koch brothers have given 10x that amount to Republicans.

Yet, with Trump, at least at the national level, it appears that he supported the Democrat Party more than the Republican.

Plus, the Koch brothers aren't actually running to be The Guy. They are supporting people who want to be The Guy. Those are 2 very different roles.

Trump as kingmaker is one thing. More power to him. Trump as King is a different thing. More power for him.

Check the link from #1530. One of several places I've seen that stated his giving from IIRC 1999 through 2009 was split almost down the middle, 52/48 I think slightly favoring D's. Post 2009 giving heavily favored Rs. Don't have a handle on all the numbers, it might be a case of how the percentages turn out vary depending on where you place the endpoints. Just don't know

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Drew Johnson, a columnist at Washington Times, is a Las Vegas resident. He's been documenting the reasons why he will not be caucusing for Trump today.

Checked some of the links, they seem to corroborate the point he was trying to make. Not sure of all the domains (never been to "clubforgrowth" or the police state website... but they mostly link to places like Politico and whatnot). I definitely don't agree with all of Drew's politics... he's very anti-war, anti-military, anti-death penalty, etc...

Edit: Oh, I guess ClubForGrowth is legit... because Trump's mad. Also looks like he ended his Apple boycott.

Cb76REsW8AABLD6.jpg:small

For your reading enjoyment. Lot of it is old news, stuff we've already talked about here.

1. He once thought Conservatism was related to land preservation.

2. Both Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton would wipe the floor with him in the General Election.

3. He said he would cut deals with Pelosi and Reid.

4. His policies would actually prevent America from creating innovative technologies

5. He's incoherent on Health Care policy, because it's irrelevant to his campaign

6. He believes government should have the power to shut down the Internet in certain cases.

7. He has absolutely no free market/limited government priciples.

8. He's anti-vax.

9. He thinks Edward Snowden should be executed

10. He supported TARP and other federal bailouts. ("On Crushing Free Market" section)

11. He thinks Government should worry about trade deficits.

12. He has no respect for Private Property rights

13. He wants more federal control over businesses

14. He is in favor of a one-time 14.25% tax on Americans' bank accounts

15. He does not believe in Free Speech, the First Amendment.

16. He's unwilling to overhaul Social Security

17. He mocked John McCain for being a POW

18. He doesn't comprehend even the most basic scientific facts

19. He supports a massive Police State

20. He funded anti-gun politicians and supported gun control efforts

21. He lied about opposing the iraq war

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Who cares what Drew Johnson thinks. Anti-Military clown he is. And I am not Trump's #1 fan, I like Rubio better, but if Trump wins the nomination and people don't vote Trump because they don't like Trump as their favorite choice then we will be screwed with Hillary or Bernie (and don't think those two libbies won't team up as Prez & VP combo once the Dems pick the winner). I remember a lot of people last election saying they were abstaining from voting for Romney because he was a Mormon. That's stupid. A person cannot always have their #1 choice as the party nomination but when the time comes to vote in November don't abstain, vote for the best candidate who is still in the running. As many of us know, men and women have given their lives for our right to vote. I feel abstaining is anti American and only helps the gun haters like Hillary & Bernie.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom