• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What I can't get past is the dealer's determination that the battery is a total loss, based on what to my lay person's eyes, looks like minor scratches on the battery's protective cover.
    So would you be willing to have your family sleep upstairs over a garage this car is charging in overnight every night?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That seems like a bogus video. A new Tesla battery costs about 20k sometimes less. Every manufacturer will be different but Tesla battery & motor warranty is 8 years or 120k miles whichever comes first. Used to be 8 years unlimited miles. That warranty is better than any other gas car I've personally owned for comparison...
    What does Tesla have to do with the post and video?

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    It's just extremely misleading, especially for people who already have no experience with EVs and it just leads to fear mongering / spreading a false narrative. The facts are that buying a new EV vs buying a new gas car are not that different when it comes to warranty and in some cases the EVs do have better core warranties when buying new. I think Kia / Hyundai have a 10 year engine warranty but I don't know anyone who's had to try and get that honored. I could be wrong on that. I know GM / Ford do not have 8 year powertrain warranties on their gas cars.

I have seen some stories of people buying an older EV, say 8 years old, out of warranty and eventually having a battery failure. It's not common but I've seen a couple posts on reddit. I personally wouldn't want to buy one out of the 8 year warranty. I am pretty sure you can get a used Chevy Bolt EV for around 12-14k AND get a 4k Federal Tax Rebate on your tax return making it a 8-10k vehicle which is a great price for a lightly used EV. The bolt is no thrills but it was a good enough commuter vehicle with plenty of space in the back for cargo.
    After watching the video again, I have to respectfully ask if you actually watched it. To sum it up, a guy driving a 1 year-old Hyundai Ioniq 5 encountered a road hazard, took it into the dealer, who saw some relatively minor scratches on the battery protection cover. Also, some arcane indicator of a hole in the cover getting bigger, which they say indicates that the battery was impacted. Not only did they void the warranty without even removing the cover to inspect the battery, but they told the kid that the damage could result in catastrophic failure at some time, and that he would be responsible for collateral damage resulting in fire or explosion.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's just extremely misleading, especially for people who already have no experience with EVs and it just leads to fear mongering / spreading a false narrative.
    EV proponents are the new vegetarians.

The facts are that buying a new EV vs buying a new gas car are not that different when it comes to warranty and in some cases the EVs do have better core warranties when buying new.
    Talk about “false narratives. Many here have posted about vehicles we have had a long time, 10-20 years, put 200,000-500,000 miles on them without major expenses.

I think Kia / Hyundai have a 10 year engine warranty but I don't know anyone who's had to try and get that honored. I could be wrong on that. I know GM / Ford do not have 8 year powertrain warranties on their gas cars.

I have seen some stories of people buying an older EV, say 8 years old, out of warranty and eventually having a battery failure. It's not common but I've seen a couple posts on reddit. I personally wouldn't want to buy one out of the 8 year warranty. I am pretty sure you can get a used Chevy Bolt EV for around 12-14k AND get a 4k Federal Tax Rebate on your tax return making it a 8-10k vehicle which is a great price for a lightly used EV. The bolt is no thrills but it was a good enough commuter vehicle with plenty of space in the back for cargo.
    The truth is anyone with a grain of common sense knows that battery life is limited, manufacturers will not build batteries for out of production vehicles, and the false narratives come from ideologues…

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    So would you be willing to have your family sleep upstairs over a garage this car is charging in overnight every night?
    WTF, Mike? Of course not. How did my words lead you to that conclusion? I guess that I'll have to spell it out for you.
    1) Minor damage to battery cover on 1 year-old EV.
    2) Without detailed inspection of the car, the dealer says battery warranty is void, and needs to be replaced.
    3) Hyundai part number indicates replacement cost will exceed vehicle cost.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Isn't that also why that story about the Rivian fender bender turned into a $40K repair bill?

Just the time/labor involved to remove/reinstall to inspect the battery is undamaged is major $$.
    Looking at the repair estimate in the video, I was actually surprised at how low the labor cost was to R&R the battery.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Talk about “false narratives. Many here have posted about vehicles we have had a long time, 10-20 years, put 200,000-500,000 miles on them without major expenses.
    What the hell does that have to do with warranties? You're arguing against things that weren't even claimed.
    EV proponents are the new vegetarians.
    Maybe EV opponents should look in the mirror when making claims like that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Do you have a laptop? Cell phone? Cordless power tools? Do you sleep in the house with them charging overnight? Those are all lithium ion batteries with the same strengths and weaknesses.

For the record, my car is outside the garage. That is not because of any fear it will catch on fire though. It is simply because we are slobs and I can't get it into the garage with all of the stuff in there.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Do you have a laptop? Cell phone? Cordless power tools? Do you sleep in the house with them charging overnight? Those are all lithium ion batteries with the same strengths and weaknesses.

For the record, my car is outside the garage. That is not because of any fear it will catch on fire though. It is simply because we are slobs and I can't get it into the garage with all of the stuff in there.
    Far be it for me to speak for him, but I think that IM was referring to this specific battery that might or might not be damaged, and the warning from the dealer that the owner would be liable for anything resulting from future catastrophic failure of said battery.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do have all those items. I discard any that have any minor damage or show any charging difficulties to be safe, just what is occurring in the example…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Far be it for me to speak for him, but I think that IM was referring to this specific battery that might or might not be damaged, and the warning from the dealer that the owner would be liable for anything resulting from future catastrophic failure of said battery.
    Yes sir. Well put for me.

Reactions: oze

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What the hell does that have to do with warranties? You're arguing against things that weren't even claimed.

Maybe EV opponents should look in the mirror when making claims like that.
    If the EV issues were ICE vehicles most of them would be recalled as unsafe...

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Just wondering if his auto insurance would cover the damage?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If the EV issues were ICE vehicles most of them would be recalled as unsafe...
    Right. You guys post everything that even hints at being an EV issue. There actually have been some recalls, but not like what you want. They only replaced the batteries in some models due to an apparent manufacturing defect. They are no where near as dangerous as you make them out to be.

Top Bottom