• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I just doubled the range of my old pickup truck by adding a spare tank in the bed. Can an EV do that?
    I saw an article where a man added a trailer with a whole additional battery pack to a Tesla. I want to say he was dragging over 800lbs behind his car. Kind of proud of himself in the article. He could charge the trailer at one station and the car at another....if there is room.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    You quoted my post and exhorted me to do more research into electric motors but for what reason? I didn't make any statement other than that an EV WILL have plenty of torque but the adrenaline-inducing growl of a beefy ICE is what many people will miss. Are you saying electric motors can emulate a throaty V-8 and I'd know that if I just did my homework?

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I saw an article where a man added a trailer with a whole additional battery pack to a Tesla. I want to say he was dragging over 800lbs behind his car. Kind of proud of himself in the article. He could charge the trailer at one station and the car at another....if there is room.
    Yes but at what point is it a zero-sum gain. When every pound of extra battery weight only offsets it's own weight penalty then you're not really increasing the vehicle's range. I'm sure the same argument could be made if I tried to tote an entire fuel tanker trailer because my mileage would be single digits but simply doubling (well not quite double, about 60% more) my fuel capacity is less than 200 pound penalty.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Driving experience and pleasure is different for everyone and it does not always make sense strictly by the instrumentation read out. I have been in an 11 second street car with a large V8. I have also been in a tuner car that was slightly faster, but the screaming buzz was not as thrilling. I have been in a private plane with a large piston engine and felt the pull in an impressive climb. I have also been in a Turboprop that actually climbed the same rate, but it was a whole different feeling. I have yet get a ride on a small jet, like a Cirrus, but I'll bet it feels completely different, especially without a prop beating through the air.

For travel, I don't want a sports car cockpit. I want a large interior, smooth ride, no vibration and QUIET. I also want 1000+ mile per day range, that I have often used since my first Iron Butt in 1981. I still have great friends in Texas and don't mind spending 15 hours in the car to see them. Electric cars are no where near that capability.

Sadly, since obummer accelerated the CAFE and emissions standards, we have not been able to buy the luxury cruiser type cars either. I have to make this one last.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Driving experience and pleasure is different for everyone and it does not always make sense strictly by the instrumentation read out. I have been in an 11 second street car with a large V8. I have also been in a tuner car that was slightly faster, but the screaming buzz was not as thrilling. I have been in a private plane with a large piston engine and felt the pull in an impressive climb. I have also been in a Turboprop that actually climbed the same rate, but it was a whole different feeling. I have yet get a ride on a small jet, like a Cirrus, but I'll bet it feels completely different, especially without a prop beating through the air.

For travel, I don't want a sports car cockpit. I want a large interior, smooth ride, no vibration and QUIET. I also want 1000+ mile per day range, that I have often used since my first Iron Butt in 1981. I still have great friends in Texas and don't mind spending 15 hours in the car to see them. Electric cars are no where near that capability.

Sadly, since obummer accelerated the CAFE and emissions standards, we have not been able to buy the luxury cruiser type cars either. I have to make this one last.
    Regardless of electric or not, I'm milking my early 00's vehicles as long as possible because people don't realize how much modern cars spy on their drivers and the technology is robbing the driving experience. I am forced to drive a virtually self-driving truck for work but it's a job. Driving my own vehicle is not. And I'm also a fan of the Great American Road Trip. Find me a Wagon Queen Family Truckster and I'll be a happy camper!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I hate to admit this, and I love the old luxury cruiser type cars myself. But the new minivans are great for travel. Quiet, smooth, decent acceleration if needed, decent gas mileage... We went down to FL last year, didn't need to fill up until middle of TN and the next fill up was in FL. Straight highway driving was over 500 miles per tank/a hair over 30 mpg and that was with the cruise set in the mid 70s.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    This article expresses my thoughts exactly.

DeLorean Sells Out to the Electric-Car Craze
    There is not much driving to be done in any electric car, which requires next to no driving beyond pushing an “on” button and pushing down upon a “gas” pedal that feeds data to computers that cause the electric motor to spin faster.

Not much to do, and nothing to hear. It sounds like time for a nap.

There is about the same degree of “driving” going on inside an electric car as inside an electric elevator. And then there’s the indisputable fact that electric cars are connected cars — and not just to their physical umbilicus, the power cord. There is also the telemetry connection: the sending and receiving of new programming — of “updates” — which is what ultimately controls the electric car. The end goal being total control, rebranded more appealingly as “autonomous” or “self-driving” driving.

Meat-sacking, in other words. The antithesis of driving.
    And this is why I loathe the electric car and all it embodies — for it represents the transformation of passion into passivity, of fun into dreary utility. Of the end of difference for the sake of the same.

And This!

https://cms.caterhamcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Brand-Video-rf25-level-auto-web-opt.mp4

Last edited:

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Or making sure the line is just beyond wherever you happen to reside. Ask any welfare recipient and they think the rich is everyone not in welfare. Ask Bernie Sanders or AOC and they'll say the rich is anyone who has more money than they themselves and should be taxed accordingly. Taxes, specifically 'punitive' taxes, are always cast on those just above the level of the caster. The same holds true for EV and hybrid owners who at the moment are smirking haughtily as those foolish shortsighted gas guzzler drivers are paying an arm and a leg to fill their tanks. What they seem to fail to realize along with the policymakers who are so heckbent on electrification is that IF the national driving public actually get on board then the highways will crumble because gas taxes are (supposedly) what finance the roads. It will be inevitable that taxation will have to shift from a per-gallon formula to a per-watt formula or maybe a per-mile formula. The latter has already been discussed at length but my biggest concern with that is that if a state or the federal government actually implements it then it will have to coincide with the repeal of gas taxes unless we've double-taxed at the pump and by the mile. But repealing taxes isn't in the government's DNA so that's what we have to look forward to - double taxation, with the grandfathered gas tax basically a penalty for not complying with the electrification mandate. Starting to sound like health care, isn't it?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Or making sure the line is just beyond wherever you happen to reside. Ask any welfare recipient and they think the rich is everyone not in welfare. Ask Bernie Sanders or AOC and they'll say the rich is anyone who has more money than they themselves and should be taxed accordingly. Taxes, specifically 'punitive' taxes, are always cast on those just above the level of the caster. The same holds true for EV and hybrid owners who at the moment are smirking haughtily as those foolish shortsighted gas guzzler drivers are paying an arm and a leg to fill their tanks. What they seem to fail to realize along with the policymakers who are so heckbent on electrification is that IF the national driving public actually get on board then the highways will crumble because gas taxes are (supposedly) what finance the roads. It will be inevitable that taxation will have to shift from a per-gallon formula to a per-watt formula or maybe a per-mile formula. The latter has already been discussed at length but my biggest concern with that is that if a state or the federal government actually implements it then it will have to coincide with the repeal of gas taxes unless we've double-taxed at the pump and by the mile. But repealing taxes isn't in the government's DNA so that's what we have to look forward to - double taxation, with the grandfathered gas tax basically a penalty for not complying with the electrification mandate. Starting to sound like health care, isn't it?
    I've told guys at work, that if they can take money from the rich, the people can take money from them.
    The say... they're not rich.
    And I tell them, a man that works 3 jobs at fast food joints would disagree.

Top Bottom