• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    https://spectator.org/red-state-leg...ws-protecting-the-internal-combustion-engine/
    Because there isn’t enough juice for California’s current rather small fleet of electric vehicles, much less for the number there will be when the whole state is supposed to run on them.
    Several of the 17 states are likely to move forward with the plan, including Washington, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon and Vermont. California’s restrictions are the strictest in the country, mandating that all new vehicles run on either electricity or hydrogen by 2035.
    The mandate is facing fierce pushback in states like Minnesota, where the Minnesota Auto Dealers Association argues the weather prohibits the use of solely electric vehicles….
    Colorado is also among the states where the measure faces firm opposition.
    Right, because when it’s very cold your electric car’s battery performs poorly. EVs lose between 20 and 50 percent of their range in cold temperatures as opposed to normal ones, so if you’re in Minnesota or Colorado — big states with lots of snow and the prospect of rather dangerous inconvenience if your EV battery dies on a highway — then it makes no sense whatsoever to mandate cars that don’t fit the figurative road.
    From another site:

The top-performing model was the Hyundai Kona, which lost a mere 9 per cent of its total

The Audi e-tron quattro SUV lost between 13 per cent and 14 per cent of its range, depending on whether it was the lower-powered 50 quattro or the higher-powered 55 quattro model.

Tesla Model 3 Long Range lost a massive 28 per cent of its range
    The worst performer? the Chevrolet Bolt (tested in its short-lived Opel Ampera-E form), which lost 30 per cent of its range to the cold.
    Not to mention what it’s like in the Arctic, where despite the climate change narrative the ice is thicker now than a decade ago. The climate fraud crowd didn’t mention that when it put out bogus stories about melting ice sheets from Greenland drowning the planet.
    There are other places where the local politicians were thankfully smart enough never to tie themselves to California’s climate nonsense. It’s time for those states to begin leading on this issue in the opposite direction.

Here’s hoping that, in the next year or two, states like Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, Florida, or Louisiana — all of which sit on the Gulf Coast and are thus highly exposed to hurricanes (Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia, having coastlines along the Atlantic, also fit this bill) — will pass bills in their legislatures requiring that a large majority of vehicles sold in their states be powered by gasoline or other liquid fuel.

Why? Because if a hurricane comes and knocks out the power, it will also render the vehicle fleet inoperable and make it impossible to evacuate those who need evacuation or to transport supplies into affected areas. Not to mention the drag on a damaged power grid in hurricane-stricken areas that the need to charge electric vehicles might represent.
    To Musk’s credit, even he’s now cautioning against the destruction of that transportation infrastructure, and he’s warning that we need more fossil fuel availability in order to ward off economic malaise.
    Asked if Norway should continue to drill for oil and gas, Musk said: "I think some additional exploration is warranted at this time."
    "One of the biggest challenges the world has ever faced is the transition to sustainable energy and to a sustainable economy," he said. "That will take some decades to complete."

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    https://spectator.org/red-state-leg...ws-protecting-the-internal-combustion-engine/

From another site:

Asked if Norway should continue to drill for oil and gas, Musk said: "I think some additional exploration is warranted at this time."
    "One of the biggest challenges the world has ever faced is the transition to sustainable energy and to a sustainable economy," he said. "That will take some decades to complete."
    The production of ICE face attack from several fronts, your post represents one. Another is CAFE standards that are impossible to meet, while yet another is the attack on fuel itself. Red states will not be left alone, this started in the 70’s when California started the emissions BS and the manufacturers went along and thereby forced California regs on other states. They have used this over and over to subjugate red states to leftist rule.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There is nothing in it, the belief of fanatics harvested to make coin for the few. When I get the arguments about climate change and man's contribution I always ask HOW MUCH? Can't quantify it? Then it's really just a belief, a religion, a cult. Carbon foot prints make as much sense as Bigfoot foot prints.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    When Cali came out that they were going to require all electric for new car sales by 2035 I did the math in how much electricity they would require. It boiled down to the equivalent of adding 140k+ new houses to the grid every year just in car sales. The us last year built 480k new houses last year across the country. There is no way Cali can sustain that load.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When Cali came out that they were going to require all electric for new car sales by 2035 I did the math in how much electricity they would require. It boiled down to the equivalent of adding 140k+ new houses to the grid every year just in car sales. The us last year built 480k new houses last year across the country. There is no way Cali can sustain that load.
    That is what this ole country boy thought, but what do I know, so I had opportunity to discuss this with one of the top transmission engineers in the country and he confirmed this.

Our power industry is lead mostly by those within ten years of retirement or less, they don’t want to fight, they are just doing what is necessary to maximize their retirements.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Sorry, y memory was off a little. Here's what I found from the other forum:

Between now and 2035 Cali will see a total of close to 14M new EV/PHEV. Using STM317's average of 15kWh per vehicle per day, thats an increase of 210 Million kWh every day in usage over today's need, with no other influences like new housing, new manufacturing etc. Even if it's 1/3 of that, we are talking 70 million kWh. That's not a small hurdle.

Put another way.... the average home in Cali averages between 4-9000 kWh per year. Average that out to 6k and that's about 17kWh per day. That means those 14 million new EV's will have a similar load to adding over 4 million new homes. Can their current infrastructure handle 4M new homes in the next 12 years? For reference the entire US added 1.6 million new homes last year

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have a friend that has a Tesla. I keep asking him how much his home electric bill has changed since he went "gas-less". Never got an answer. Guessing the cost of electricity doesn't count when it comes to EVs.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have a friend that has a Tesla. I keep asking him how much his home electric bill has changed since he went "gas-less". Never got an answer. Guessing the cost of electricity doesn't count when it comes to EVs.
    Probably because he doesn't know. It's like, "how much money are they taking out of your check for taxes"?

People don't look.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Could be he’s getting free charging at various places too.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It might not be enough to notice.

Top Bottom