• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The sad thing is that a lot of times we ladies aren't sure either. Fortunately I am not one of those ladies. I see it on TV all the time. These women having two dozen men tested to see if they're her baby daddy...and NONE of them are. That's just gross.

Well not knowing if you have kids and not knowing who's the father is different.
    Men can have kids and not be aware of it but women cant.Unless they somehow dont notice giving birth and forget about it.:dunno:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well not knowing if you have kids and not knowing who's the father is different.
    Men can have kids and not be aware of it but women cant.Unless they somehow dont notice giving birth and forget about it.:dunno:

True. I don't think anyone could ever forget giving birth unless they were drugged out of their minds. I'm sure there are a lot of women out there who do get pregnant and never tell the father. Sad, but that's how some people work

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    True. I don't think anyone could ever forget giving birth unless they were drugged out of their minds. I'm sure there are a lot of women out there who do get pregnant and never tell the father. Sad, but that's how some people work

Like you said sometimes they cant tell the father even if they wanted to as they have no idea who it could be.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That's more clear that way. :laugh:
    For me "celibate" means you are not married but you can still be in a relationship and still have sex. :dunno:

I'm not married either. I have been before but not currently. We live together and have children so obviously neither of us choose celibacy. :laugh:

"Celibate" here is more like just choosing not to engage in any sexual activity. People who do that have to have amazing willpower

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've never known celibate to be defined that way. Lol.

The English word celibacy derives from the Latin caelibatus, "state of being unmarried", from Latin caelebs, meaning "unmarried".

:dunno:

We have the same word in French "celibataire" which means "not married", you often see that in forms where you have to tell if you're married or not.

I guess by extension it means not having sex as we all know only married people have sex. :rolleyes:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    cel·i·ba·cy (s
    ebreve.gif
    l
    prime.gif
    schwa.gif
    -b
    schwa.gif
    -s
    emacr.gif
    )
    n. 1. Abstinence from sexual intercourse, especially by reason of religious vows.
    2. The condition of being unmarried.

I guess it can means both.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Apparently so. Wow. A French guy taught a grammar freak something she didn't know about English. Well don't I just suck at life? :laugh:

:D

Many English words come from Latin and French so I can understand their meaning by knowing the etymology of the word even if I never heard of it. :dunno:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    :D

Many English words come from Latin and French so I can understand their meaning by knowing the etymology of the word even if I never heard of it. :dunno:

English is just a weird language anyway. It's as if there are no rules. I can pronounce any French word (as well as a non native speaker can) just by looking at it. I may not know what it means, but I can say it. English is just a guess half the time.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    English is just a weird language anyway. It's as if there are no rules. I can pronounce any French word (as well as a non native speaker can) just by looking at it. I may not know what it means, but I can say it. English is just a guess half the time.

I have trouble pronouncing most English words. :):

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I would point out that I said I have never heard it used that way, not that it was wrong. Also, my definition is the prevailing definition here.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I don't like any French word that has an "r" in it. Makes me feel like I'm choking on my tongue when I try to say it. I hate "rarement" very much.

Yeah most foreigners have troubles with the "r" sound. It's not as guttural as the "r" sound in Spanish but it's more guttural than the "r" sound in English.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I would point out that I said I have never heard it used that way, not that it was wrong. Also, my definition is the prevailing definition here.

I did notice that. And I'd never heard it used as "unmarried" either.

Yeah most foreigners have troubles with the "r" sound. It's not as guttural as the "r" sound in Spanish but it's more guttural than the "r" sound in English.

I can do Spanish just fine. Well....I can do Mexican Spanish just fine, which may be entirely different. I don't really know many Spanish people, but I have some Mexican people in my family.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom