• Status
    Not open for further replies.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wasn't really "exhausting" but I definitely just rolled back on my ass and got out of the firemen's way.

Use the back instead of the arms. Keeping the elbows locked makes it a lot easier as gravity does a lot of the down part for you.

do you own a mask for CPR? Can get them for $5 at the 1500 :)

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Use the back instead of the arms. Keeping the elbows locked makes it a lot easier as gravity does a lot of the down part for you.

do you own a mask for CPR? Can get them for $5 at the 1500 :)
    Yeah, I was using my back. Probably why it wasn't that exhausting. I do carry a mask in my wallet, and the medic was actually really glad because his medic bag was in his trunk and he rode with someone else. lol

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The WEIRDEST part was feeling his ribs break under my hands. I think my CPR trainer did a good job of making it clear how normal that was. If I hadn't known it probably would have thrown me for a big loop.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The WEIRDEST part was feeling his ribs break under my hands. I think my CPR trainer did a good job of making it clear how normal that was. If I hadn't known it probably would have thrown me for a big loop.

I'm not so sure how much of that is ribs breaking as opposed to cartilage snapping in some people. I've done CPR on a 85yo as the sole provider in the room for a few minutes one night and somehow we actually got her back. I don't think God wanted her yet because the system was not working well that night. Anyway, she was talking 15 minutes later and denied any sort of chest pain despite TONS of snapping/popping the first time I pushed down and pretty minimal lack of recoil from there on out.

Always be sure to come up all the way too as the recoil of the chest wall is what pumps a lot of the blood.

I helped on a guy who drowned at the beach and was under for 30 minutes. All the high school lifeguards took turns doing compressions until the chief showed up who was authorized to stop the resucitation. The crunching never feels good though.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'm not so sure how much of that is ribs breaking as opposed to cartilage snapping in some people. I've done CPR on a 85yo as the sole provider in the room for a few minutes one night and somehow we actually got her back. I don't think God wanted her yet because the system was not working well that night. Anyway, she was talking 15 minutes later and denied any sort of chest pain despite TONS of snapping/popping the first time I pushed down and pretty minimal lack of recoil from there on out.

Always be sure to come up all the way too as the recoil of the chest wall is what pumps a lot of the blood.

I helped on a guy who drowned at the beach and was under for 30 minutes. All the high school lifeguards took turns doing compressions until the chief showed up who was authorized to stop the resucitation. The crunching never feels good though.
    Like I said, it was very weird. Pretty sure it was the bones either breaking or the sternum and ribs separating though.. I could feel the tips of SOMETHING poking me in the hand, and actually have a bruise from it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Like I said, it was very weird. Pretty sure it was the bones either breaking or the sternum and ribs separating though.. I could feel the tips of SOMETHING poking me in the hand, and actually have a bruise from it.

Oh I'm sure many times it is the ribs breaking. I'm just saying I've thought that before and people swear they have no discomfort even when you feel that.

I saw a guy complaining of chest wall pain in the ER. I looked up his chart and found he had 10 minutes of CPR two weeks earlier when he showed up with a heart attack and promptly died in our triage room before being resuscitated.

Amazing you got to experience that with your dad too. You'll be sharing that experience for a while.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Just reread and it was your grandfather you were with. Sorry. It's 1am and it's bed time. Your night was more exciting than mine and I worked 8 hours in the ER!
    Oh yeah, I see what you were talking about now. Yeah, it happened at Lodge tonight, so I knew pretty much everyone there.

ETA: That's what you get for working in Mooresville! :):

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Good Evening/Morning Knife Lady! :wavey:

Sorry to do this to you but I'm heading to bed. Come back and say Hi during the day. :D

Oh yeah! Youins still up make sure and leave a light on for Shadow. You know how he's scared of the dark when he gets here and no one is around. :laugh:

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Good Evening/Morning Knife Lady! :wavey:

Sorry to do this to you but I'm heading to bed. Come back and say Hi during the day. :D

Oh yeah! Youins still up make sure and leave a light on for Shadow. You know how he's scared of the dark when he gets here and no one is around. :laugh:

Will do.:):

Sleep well!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member