• Status
    Not open for further replies.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I have to be gone from work a few times every three months for medical tests. Sometimes these are 45 minutes and back. Sometimes they are three hours and back.

What is an appropriate way to mention this in an interview? I don't want to say I have cancer because that's private genetic information and I don't want them to feel like they have to give me the job because I talked about a disease I had and now they are in a legal pickle because I mentioned it. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I have to be gone from work a few times every three months for medical tests. Sometimes these are 45 minutes and back. Sometimes they are three hours and back.

What is an appropriate way to mention this in an interview? I don't want to say I have cancer because that's private genetic information and I don't want them to feel like they have to give me the job because I talked about a disease I had and now they are in a legal pickle because I mentioned it. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.
    :dunno:

a quick google search turned this up.

http://www.cancerandcareers.org/en/looking-for-work/Job-Hunting-After-Cancer-Treatment

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper

Why do you need to mention it at all at the interview? Mind you I've never done a job interview so I know practically nothing about the process.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Why do you need to mention it at all at the interview? Mind you I've never done a job interview so I know practically nothing about the process.

Inevitably the question of "Can you preform your job in this role, blah blah blah" or "how often do you have absences at your current position" come up.

For me, honesty is the best policy. Unfortunately in our garbage modern day society, that isn't the best policy for employers.

I want to do what's right and bring it up because there would be at least 6 times I year I cannot come in to work for a full day because I have to get CT scans, all day diagnoses or colonoscopies and I want to be honest about it.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Ddnt see your answe above. Best bet is to ask the HR lady, like you said.

Its a touchy situation for sure. Personally I dont have a problem with what you are asking about. When I interview someone I want to know if they can do the job, will they show up to work on time and are they honest with me. But thats me. Good luck to you.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Inevitably the question of "Can you preform your job in this role, blah blah blah" or "how often do you have absences at your current position" come up.

For me, honesty is the best policy. Unfortunately in our garbage modern day society, that isn't the best policy for employers.

I want to do what's right and bring it up because there would be at least 6 times I year I cannot come in to work for a full day because I have to get CT scans, all day diagnoses or colonoscopies and I want to be honest about it.

I agree honesty is the best policy...I was just looking at it from the point of view, that as long as you do not go over your sick, vacation, or personal days, then it's a mute point. Does that make sense?

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I agree honesty is the best policy...I was just looking at it from the point of view, that as long as you do not go over your sick, vacation, or personal days, then it's a mute point. Does that make sense?
    Makes sense to me and thats the way I feel.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom