• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    So I went to start my car a while ago and it decided to not cooperate. It cranked fine and sputtered just a little but mostly just cranked. I let it sit for a while and tried it again. It still cranked fine but for longer than it should, then it struggled to start. Once it started, it runs fine. I shut it off, then it seemed to start right back up just fine. I have no codes or unusual lights and it never gave any signs of a problem before. Weird. Now I have to worry about the problem coming back.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    So I went to start my car a while ago and it decided to not cooperate. It cranked fine and sputtered just a little but mostly just cranked. I let it sit for a while and tried it again. It still cranked fine but for longer than it should, then it struggled to start. Once it started, it runs fine. I shut it off, then it seemed to start right back up just fine. I have no codes or unusual lights and it never gave any signs of a problem before. Weird. Now I have to worry about the problem coming back.

It sounds like the fuel pressure may have bled off. Possibly due to a bad pressure regulator or a check ball in the fuel pump.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    It sounds like the fuel pressure may have bled off. Possibly due to a bad pressure regulator or a check ball in the fuel pump.

It could be a lot of things. Its nearly impossible to troubleshoot an intermittent problem though. That's what I'm concerned about. I'd rather it just quit altogether so I know for sure when I find the problem.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh, them massage therapists are a touchy lot, ain't they?

My chicken does that when it's cool and wet out, starts one cylinder at a time. I'm pretty sure that one is due to the plug wires. It's a 94 so it's about 10 years overdue for new ones.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Oh, them massage therapists are a touchy lot, ain't they?

My chicken does that when it's cool and wet out, starts one cylinder at a time. I'm pretty sure that one is due to the plug wires. It's a 94 so it's about 10 years overdue for new ones.

Mine is a 2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 SXT. According to some entries in the Google machine, there is a cheap starter relay that can cause a delayed starting problem and eventually no crank at all. I don't understand how that could cause a delayed start if it is still allowing the starter to crank but apparently its been a common issue.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Morning run through. I will be heading off to the neighbor's soon. Went out to feed the kitties and the man cave is full of gas fumes. Hubby is out now trying to figure out where the lawn mower is leaking. I told him not to light any matches! Wow...it was bad. I told him if the cats act high, it is from the fumes.

Otherwise, it's been a pretty calm morning here so far. The sun is shining although it is only 25 and a bit frosty. The coffee is good so I guess I will have some more before I go.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'd think a relay would usually either make contact or not, but I've seen some weird stuff. Just being hard to start, I'd look at other things, though. On the chicken, the insulation on the plug wires has deteriorated and if water condenses on them and gets in, they'll short to the block until they warm up enough to dry out, so one cylinder at a time. I'm just glad I have other cars; m'lady's Cad, the Excrement, and a Mustang for that [bad word] piney squirrel to make a nest in. The engine is stuffed with walnuts again. I didn't think there were any more. Sorry, mind wandering.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'd think a relay would usually either make contact or not, but I've seen some weird stuff. Just being hard to start, I'd look at other things, though. On the chicken, the insulation on the plug wires has deteriorated and if water condenses on them and gets in, they'll short to the block until they warm up enough to dry out, so one cylinder at a time. I'm just glad I have other cars; m'lady's Cad, the Excrement, and a Mustang for that [bad word] piney squirrel to make a nest in. The engine is stuffed with walnuts again. I didn't think there were any more. Sorry, mind wandering.

Makes sense. Its got about 105K on the original parts so its probably due. It only did it the one time so far so I'll probably wait to see if a pattern develops. Hopefully I won't get stranded.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    He must be having fun out there. He has not returned. I may have to go check on him pretty soon, but I have not seen or heard any explosions so that is good. :D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Now how is he going to find a leak without lighting a match for some light? You women make such unreasonable demands sometimes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom