• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wanted to however, I really want that Ronin 10mm instead. I'm on an email list of about 20 stores if it comes in stock. Like several people have said if I don't own a 1911 I should get one and I think the Ronin 10mm would be a nice 1st 1911.

They just sold a Ronin at PSS last weekend.
    Right now it’s tough finding anything that is in any way special. They get snatched up right away or so it seems.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    10mm with full power loads is more powerful than a 357 magnum. As such it is going to have as much if not slightly more recoil. However, in a semiautomatic it is more controllable because working the action absorbs some of the felt recoil. If you think you should be able to shoot a full power 10mm as fast as your 115gr 9mm rds It's not going to happen. You can shot it pretty fast on target but not as fast as a 9mm. Just remember you are shooting a magnum type cartridge in a pistol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    10mm with full power loads is more powerful than a 357 magnum. As such it is going to have as much if not slightly more recoil. However, in a semiautomatic it is more controllable because working the action absorbs some of the felt recoil. If you think you should be able to shoot a full power 10mm as fast as your 115gr 9mm rds It's not going to happen. You can shot it pretty fast on target but not as fast as a 9mm. Just remember you are shooting a magnum type cartridge in a pistol.

There is a "HUGE" difference in shooting a 9mm 1911 and then stepping up to a full monti- 10mm.
    Even if the 9mm is running serious SD loads the differences are amazing.
    But as you say a 357 wheel gun will rock you pretty good as you are absorbing all of the recoil. Think pump 12G versus an auto loader.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

I liked the article for history lesson.

As far as recoil goes. Read this one. I was wondering how it would compare to .45 and 40 in different loads.

https://gunnewsdaily.com/10mm-vs-45/

May be a fun round to reload, lots of versatility.

Only negative i have read is Harold Fish.

In comparison to other pistol calibers it seems that it adds more to hunting than self defense capabilities.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ve been pondering a Sig P220 Elite SAO in 10mm this morning. There’s one ending soon on GB but it will take north of $1300 to bring it home. That’s actually not bad for a 10mm P220. But, it puts you on striking distance of some stellar 1911s in 10mm.

I’d love to shoot a 10mm P220 to see if there’s as big a difference in 10mm as there is in .40 compared to other platforms. My .40 Sigs feel like 9mm when compared to my other .40 handguns.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I liked the article for history lesson.

As far as recoil goes. Read this one. I was wondering how it would compare to .45 and 40 in different loads.

https://gunnewsdaily.com/10mm-vs-45/

May be a fun round to reload, lots of versatility.

Only negative i have read is Harold Fish.

In comparison to other pistol calibers it seems that it adds more to hunting than self defense capabilities.

Man that put me to sleep......:):
    All of that to come right back to 9mm go pop
    45 go boom
    10mm go Ka-boom

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am enjoying learning about the cartridge :) I am more of a buy/shoot and do some reloading kinda guy. I am not too mechanically all that smart.

I didn't know any of the Jeff Cooper stuff. All I had heard was Miami shootout, need new cartridge, its too much cartridge, .40 S&W is born! :)

Until these 10mm threads started showing up, never thought about owning one. Now if that pistol is still there, it looks like I am going to help out the economy.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on materials and stuff. Maybe my knowledge is mostly related to 90s era pistols. I remember reading way back when that the 40s were basically retrofitted to 9mm guns and some models developed a reputation for cracking/wearing parts because they were never really beefed up for the 40.

When I am looking at the 10 mm XDm, the specs (size and stuff) are very much like the .45 XDm. Are most modern 10mm and 40 S&W now built specifically for their respective cartridge, not developed as an afterthoughtto the .45 and .40? I would imagine the 10 mm to be more so because of the case length differences.

I admit I am stepping into completely new territory for me. Most of my stuff is DA/SA hammer Berettas mostly made of metal. It was the 9mm 92 that was morphed into the .40 96 where I first heard rumors about wear and tear. The only experience I had with the XDm was a full size .45 ACP that I completely enjoyed shooting (and wouldn't mind having) but I don't have any 10 mm stuff.

Maybe I am just way off in left field. After all I don't own a single 1911.

Man that put me to sleep......:):
    All of that to come right back to 9mm go pop
    45 go boom
    10mm go Ka-boom

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Speaking of 10mm recoil, for those who started out carrying in the days when .357 Magnum revolvers were common and semi-auto pistols were in the minority, stepping up to a 10mm isn't a big deal.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Speaking of 10mm recoil, for those who started out carrying in the days when .357 Magnum revolvers were common and semi-auto pistols were in the minority, stepping up to a 10mm isn't a big deal.
    My dad had a Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum my mother had a S&W 4" 357 magnum revolver the only other gun was a Ruger Standard 22lr semiautomatic. There wasn't much choice growing up you shot the Standard then you went to the 356 and then the 44 magnum. I was hunting deer at 14 with my dads Ruger Blackhawk. Only got one deer with it. Then my grandfather let me use his bicentennial Winchester 30-30. I got a deer every year with that. It was a beautiful rifle.

Back to the subject.
    I was trained on magnum revolvers so a 10mm is pleasant to shoot compared to a Blackhawk 44 with 300gr slugs. Those you feel in the palm of your hand and the wrist. I can just imagine what a 500 S&W magnum feels like lol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am enjoying learning about the cartridge :) I am more of a buy/shoot and do some reloading kinda guy. I am not too mechanically all that smart.

I didn't know any of the Jeff Cooper stuff. All I had heard was Miami shootout, need new cartridge, its too much cartridge, .40 S&W is born! :)

Until these 10mm threads started showing up, never thought about owning one. Now if that pistol is still there, it looks like I am going to help out the economy.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on materials and stuff. Maybe my knowledge is mostly related to 90s era pistols. I remember reading way back when that the 40s were basically retrofitted to 9mm guns and some models developed a reputation for cracking/wearing parts because they were never really beefed up for the 40.

When I am looking at the 10 mm XDm, the specs (size and stuff) are very much like the .45 XDm. Are most modern 10mm and 40 S&W now built specifically for their respective cartridge, not developed as an afterthoughtto the .45 and .40? I would imagine the 10 mm to be more so because of the case length differences.

I admit I am stepping into completely new territory for me. Most of my stuff is DA/SA hammer Berettas mostly made of metal. It was the 9mm 92 that was morphed into the .40 96 where I first heard rumors about wear and tear. The only experience I had with the XDm was a full size .45 ACP that I completely enjoyed shooting (and wouldn't mind having) but I don't have any 10 mm stuff.

Maybe I am just way off in left field. After all I don't own a single 1911.

The history was great as I picked up on a few tidbits myself but the statistical analogy and comparisons...........:faint:

I can see this working for some folks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My dad had a Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum my mother had a S&W 4" 357 magnum revolver the only other gun was a Ruger Standard 22lr semiautomatic. There wasn't much choice growing up you shot the Standard then you went to the 356 and then the 44 magnum. I was hunting deer at 14 with my dads Ruger Blackhawk. Only got one deer with it. Then my grandfather let me use his bicentennial Winchester 30-30. I got a deer every year with that. It was a beautiful rifle.

Back to the subject.
    I was trained on magnum revolvers so a 10mm is pleasant to shoot compared to a Blackhawk 44 with 300gr slugs. Those you feel in the palm of your hand and the wrist. I can just imagine what a 500 S&W magnum feels like lol.

One of the miscreants in the CZickness crew has the vaunted S&W 500. It is a field piece. On a dare I ran 5 one handed with it......"Once"

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’ve been pondering a Sig P220 Elite SAO in 10mm this morning. There’s one ending soon on GB but it will take north of $1300 to bring it home. That’s actually not bad for a 10mm P220. But, it puts you on striking distance of some stellar 1911s in 10mm.

I’d love to shoot a 10mm P220 to see if there’s as big a difference in 10mm as there is in .40 compared to other platforms. My .40 Sigs feel like 9mm when compared to my other .40 handguns.

Love my 10mm P220. It's probably my favorite handgun I own. I also have a 1911 RIA in 10mm. Incidentally I don't typically shoot anything more powerful than Sig Elite Performance ammo the RIA for fear I'll break it. :):

Anyway, just comparing the two with the Sig ammo, I don't feel a lot of difference in recoil, but the P220 does feel smoother than the RIA.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I might hafta run down to Madison today....go check out their options.
    Madison Outdoors had a xdm on their website Saturday so they may keep it up to date. They had them listed by manufacturer not caliber so not sure what else they have. Google Madison Outdoors Indiana and their website popped up for me. Make sure to include Indiana though.

If you're a 1911 guy, 4 Guns in Lafayette had some.

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    My limited experience would say yes.

While I currently shoot wheelguns, I’ve had a Delta Elite and a couple of Glock G40mos pistols. The Colt was the prettiest, but less enjoyable to shoot than the G40. The G20 and G40 are surprisingly soft-shooting for the cartridge.

The P220 is also on the radar, as the MK25 is my favorite auto loader ever in 9mm.

Top Bottom