• Status
    Not open for further replies.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    My old ford is driving me nuts.....bench bled the master (on the truck, but same procedure) bled RR, RL, FR, FL......still squishy. The pedal is hard on the second pump. If I place a cap on the single line coming out of the master cylinder it is completely solid. Any tricks to bleeding a 62 f100?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My old ford is driving me nuts.....bench bled the master (on the truck, but same procedure) bled RR, RL, FR, FL......still squishy. The pedal is hard on the second pump. If I place a cap on the single line coming out of the master cylinder it is completely solid. Any tricks to bleeding a 62 f100?

Are you using bleeder bottles.

Are you getting fresh fluid out the port's

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I have new wheel cylinder all around that are getting fresh fluid. I started with a mityvac, but can't seem to pull any fluid to the rear. I gave up on that and had my wife pump the pedal slowly and hold it to the floor while i crack the bleeder into a tube that empties into a bottle of fresh fluid so there is no air coming back into the lines. I cannot get any more air to come out of the bleeders.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Drum brakes on all 4 corners? Not being a smart ass, but do you have them adjusted correctly? I have seen people have drum brakes adjusted all the way down and the pedal feels squishy because the wheel cyl's have to push the shoes too far. Otherwise keep bleeding untill you get fresh fluid flowing. Oh and just make sure the wheel cyl's are installed qith the bleeder screws on top...seen people put wheel cyl's and calipers on the wrong way and if that happens they will never bleed the air out

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Just speaking from what I've run into over the many brake jobs I've done on everything I've seen the last several years, do not know your experience level. Was this a complete brake job, all new lines, hoses, everything? First off, from what I've run into, not every old car responds well to a suckulator. Some cars would just not bleed that way, had to bottle bleed. If you haven't replaced your hoses, I'd do that as well. We've run into a couple that the hoses looked fine, but were completely blocked on the inside. Is the pedal/rod assembly adjusted properly?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have a fondness for all the big body chevy's from that era. Had a sweet 67. I miss it.

This one was in the parking lot at the hotel. His brake lights were stuck on. We were trying to find the guy. I was just gonna open the door and try lifting the brake pedal. I'm guessing it was a stuck pedal or switch. The doors were locked so I left it up to the hotel to try to locate him.

9C9B0FBD-2AF1-41D2-9F3D-1F4F5472D11F_zps0mbbcriq.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I rolled into Pigeon Forge today.
    Rainy and cold today.
    Cold and partly cloudy tomorrow.
    The only decent day will be Saturday so not sure how many cars are gonna show up.
    I will post up some pics if I get an opportunity.

We're headed down that way tomorrow ourselves although not for any runs; we're on the way to Destin via the scenic route. some friends tried to talk us into going early for the run this weekend.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    The front hoses look fresh, but I cannot say they are new. Solid lines have no obvious leaks. Fluid will spray out of all four corners under pressure.

These cylinders can only go in one way due to their shape, so bleeders are on top. The rears are dragging slightly on the drum and have the self adjusting kit added. The fronts were turned until tight and backed off 12 clicks.

I haven't tried to adjust the pedal to master cylinder rod yet. The first pump goes to the floor. The second and third are firm.

I think that covers it :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Back in the day I helped out at a station that had a shop. The brake guy woul put the shoes right out tight on the drums so the wheels would not turn. He would bleed them and the stand hard on the peddle. Once all that was done he would adjust every wheel for the right amount of drag. He said it would "Set" the shoes. Seemed to work. Have not been a member of the 4 wheel drum club for many many years.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Back in the day I helped out at a station that had a shop. The brake guy woul put the shoes right out tight on the drums so the wheels would not turn. He would bleed them and the stand hard on the peddle. Once all that was done he would adjust every wheel for the right amount of drag. He said it would "Set" the shoes. Seemed to work. Have not been a member of the 4 wheel drum club for many many years.

This is the way we used to do it I the drum brake era also. Given the 63 Galaxie sitting in the barn won't get discs on it this year looks like I'll be doing this again soon!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    That's worth giving a shot. The rears will be a pita to back off, but the fronts will be easy enough

If it's off the ground pull your tires and drums off, then slide the drums partially on so you can work the star easier and then pull the drums clear off to allow REALLY easy loosening of the shoes. It's a little extra work but helps to protect little ears from overhearing "working on the car" words!:laugh:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If it's off the ground pull your tires and drums off, then slide the drums partially on so you can work the star easier and then pull the drums clear off to allow REALLY easy loosening of the shoes. It's a little extra work but helps to protect little ears from overhearing "working on the car" words!:laugh:

Sir those words happen to be highhly technical depending on the situation that presents itself

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This one was in the parking lot at the hotel. His brake lights were stuck on. We were trying to find the guy. I was just gonna open the door and try lifting the brake pedal. I'm guessing it was a stuck pedal or switch. The doors were locked so I left it up to the hotel to try to locate him.

9C9B0FBD-2AF1-41D2-9F3D-1F4F5472D11F_zps0mbbcriq.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

I trully have a deep rooted love for this series of big body GM's.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well my experience using that excuse has been dependent upon who was around...picked up on a few technical terms as a kid but now that I am older just depends who is within ear shot. Things get to be a pita I start droppin F bombs like a coma in a sentence.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    65-68's for me. 69-70 were cool, but not as much. Great freaking cars. Drive like a dream.

I drove that one back from southern Cali on 6 go 7 cylinders depending on what it felt like.

After the re-fit (355 with the typical mouse mods) that car went all over this side of the states chasing the racing circuit. Mid-Ohio sports car course, Columbus Ohio street race course, Watkins Glen, Road america and AIR all multiple rimes. It had the Cold Spot A/C unit on the trans hump and it worked...:):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom