• ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    OK fellas I need some help.
    my SIL/daughter bought the magic bus from us (2004 Chevy 3500 custom van) a few years ago. The trans took a dump a couple of months ago. Van has 125K on the clock and is worth rebuilding the unit.
    Here is my dilemma. I have no more contacts in this world. Who to trust? Its a 4L-80 as its a 1 ton chassis. I believe the pump failed as it would make a whining noise when you 1st started it on a cold morning and it would stop as it warmed up. Not every time but I heard it.
    Any honest shops out there.
    He can get a Reman with a 5 year warr. in a few places for a fair price and there was a time we would install it but not anymore. Any shop you know that will do the swap...???

I am putting out some feelers as well but any leads will be greatly appreciated.
    Where I work, we send the trucks/vans that need a transmission overhaul to Kenny's in Greenwood.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Where I work, we send the trucks/vans that need a transmission overhaul to Kenny's in Greenwood.
    There was a Kenny’s over by us on North Lafayette Rd but it’s gone now. One of the guys there used to build converters for the street class bracket guys. They worked.
    I will check them out.
    SIL called a shop in Avon that came recommended and they est $3200 over the phone and that scared the SIL.
    Seemed salty.

Thanks.

mikek

What, Me Worry??
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    mooresville
    I have had Tony’s Transmission rebuild 2 4L60’s & a TH350 for me with no issues. I haven’t found anyone that could beat their prices either. CC4A5701-821B-432B-81B3-6A6330BEB2A9.png

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I just used Goldsberry's in Brownsburg to rebuild my trans. It was my first experience with him, he seems like a good dude, old school attitude. However I think his price is a little on the high side but I went with him cause I didn't want to take the time to research & tow it somewhere else.

Just got the truck back Tuesday evening and noticed yesterday that there is a little bit of ATF leaking at the rear. I plan on showing him today after work or Monday. We'll see how he handles it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    And I thought the "Not a penny under 1.2 million" was on drugs!

2.7 million dollar 66 Corvette coupe

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I have been watching auctions on BAT and some of those cars are selling for, in CM's words, "Stupid money".

We live in a very affluent society.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Says flagged for removal. Does that mean possibly a scam?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just used Goldsberry's in Brownsburg to rebuild my trans. It was my first experience with him, he seems like a good dude, old school attitude. However I think his price is a little on the high side but I went with him cause I didn't want to take the time to research & tow it somewhere else.

Just got the truck back Tuesday evening and noticed yesterday that there is a little bit of ATF leaking at the rear. I plan on showing him today after work or Monday. We'll see how he handles it.
    Keep us informed. It will be hard enough for them to scrape up the funds to fix the truck so it has to be done right and the work backed up.
    Was this the rig you lost the trans in recently. What did it cost if I may ask.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    yep on the silverado. Apparently the pump self destructed without any warning and took out other parts. It was about $3k to rebuild but it's pretty much all new parts. A reman would've been more money. Probably on the high side but I've never heard a bad thing about the shop, cry once and hopefully it's done right. Also don't have a spare car(I'll walk before the firebird touches salty roads) so didn't really have time to shop around.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    yep on the silverado. Apparently the pump self destructed without any warning and took out other parts. It was about $3k to rebuild but it's pretty much all new parts. A reman would've been more money. Probably on the high side but I've never heard a bad thing about the shop, cry once and hopefully it's done right. Also don't have a spare car(I'll walk before the firebird touches salty roads) so didn't really have time to shop around.
    Thanks. 3K seems to be the number.
    I am pretty sure it’s the pump in the kids van but it’s a 4L80.

Top Bottom