• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For those that didn’t see. He did pass earlier today. INGO lost a legend.

I hadn't seen that. In all fairness this thread is always the first I look for.
    Sad to hear it. Rest peacefully Tim. I will think of you next time I make a rip down the drag strip

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    My 1911 is already scheduled for a workout at a handgun course this weekend, too. I'll make sure to empty a few extra mags.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Man, i was actually just thinking of him when i came here to post for some advice. :( ****.
    I'm looking to pick up a power plant for my C3 vette project and there's a guy local selling this. Since it was built for track racing and has 305 heads should i pass? What are the consequences of that? He's looking for $900. I'm not looking to do anything earth shattering, but i'll like to see 300 hp i guess?

Info on the engine: Here is all the info that I have on the engine. The casting number on the block is 3970010. Stock crank and rods. ARP rod bolts, clevite bearings, comp cams 12-521-5 cam, and flat top pistons. I do have a balance sheet as well. The engine was originally built to run in a street stock circle track car, but was never used or ran since the build. The heads are small chamber 305 heads (416 casting) as per the rules. They were rebuilt at the same time as the engine. I did have a set of vortec heads that I was going to put on it if I ever ran it on the street, but I ended up using those on another project. You can turn it over by hand, and are more than welcome to do a compression check. The intake in the pictures is just sitting on there for storage purposes, but I do have an open bore high rise aluminum weiland intake that can go with it.

Attachments

• 00G0G_98NRZf5AjIjz_0ew0jm_1200x900.jpg
      00G0G_98NRZf5AjIjz_0ew0jm_1200x900.jpg
      86.7 KB · Views: 8

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Man, i was actually just thinking of him when i came here to post for some advice. :( ****.
    I'm looking to pick up a power plant for my C3 vette project and there's a guy local selling this. Since it was built for track racing and has 305 heads should i pass? What are the consequences of that? He's looking for $900. I'm not looking to do anything earth shattering, but i'll like to see 300 hp i guess?

Info on the engine: Here is all the info that I have on the engine. The casting number on the block is 3970010. Stock crank and rods. ARP rod bolts, clevite bearings, comp cams 12-521-5 cam, and flat top pistons. I do have a balance sheet as well. The engine was originally built to run in a street stock circle track car, but was never used or ran since the build. The heads are small chamber 305 heads (416 casting) as per the rules. They were rebuilt at the same time as the engine. I did have a set of vortec heads that I was going to put on it if I ever ran it on the street, but I ended up using those on another project. You can turn it over by hand, and are more than welcome to do a compression check. The intake in the pictures is just sitting on there for storage purposes, but I do have an open bore high rise aluminum weiland intake that can go with it.
    What are your plans for the vette, street driving?

My initial advice is skip it, flat tops and small chamber heads can be in the 11+ compression range depending on block height and gasket size used. Those heads have terrible flow with small valves and runners. They do make good lowend torque with this combo, but it's not a good street engine.

Now if you can get the vortecs with something like a Lunatic 262/268 cam and get compression down around 10:1 it would be a better runner.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I'm assuming he's talking about the 6 cylinder

I don't know the going rate, but 1600 seems cheap.
    I am talking about the 6 cylinder. And making angry tractor noises. Last year I came up with the idea to build a compound turbo setup that's identical to what was/will be in my truck again. That's an HE351cw with an S475 turbo. The difference was that I'd be using a V8 in the Mustang.

I think a Barra went through my mind at one point, but seemed unobtainable. Now, maybe it's not. So I could have two inline 6 cylinder, compound turbo vehicles. One diesel, one gas. One a truck, the other a Mustang. I think it would be pretty cool.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Thursday evening, Avon Culver's cruise in;

View attachment 221675
    I know the terminators & svt's were fast cars and all, but damn those were some fugly body's. Were they popular simply because they were fast and easy to mod on the cheap?

My least favorite 'stangs of all time in the looks department. My dad had a Ford Fairmount which those were based on and boy were they el cheapo POS's.

Top Bottom