• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Finished up the brake install on the convert, bled out the brakes and ps pump and jumped the car to start it (old battery sulfated so badly on the charger that the shop smelled like :poop: for days). Since it was connected via jumper cables to a battery sitting on the floor I didn't drive it but the brief movement and brake application I did do seems to indicate that DAYUM, this thing has brakes! :bacondance: The old original booster, mc and disc/drum setup NEVER felt this firm, can't WAIT to give it a go but first the alignment shop and then get the cat back squared away.
    View attachment 202986
    At last a near complete project :):

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Finally got a video of the shifter vibration the other day.
    Also, there's a 351w at Quinlin's right now and I'm hoping Danny takes good care of it. Turns out my FiL has had him do a lot of work in the past.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Finally got a video of the shifter vibration the other day.
    Also, there's a 351w at Quinlin's right now and I'm hoping Danny takes good care of it. Turns out my FiL has had him do a lot of work in the past.

That vibration indicated by the shifter doesn't look all that abnormal really. I drove many foxbody mustangs that were like that. Urethane mounts, urethane bushings or solid rod ends on suspension parts does that real quick
    More than likely Danny will take good care of that 351w...so long as the owner doesn't try yo go too cheap on internal parts lol.

This all keeps reminding me that we have to have ours freshened up at the end of this season. Not looking forward to that

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not off any kind of "hot rod", but does this water pump seem worn out to you guys?

Bearing felt like it was full of gravel. No idea how it didn't make more noise or leak worse than it did.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not off any kind of "hot rod", but does this water pump seem worn out to you guys?

Bearing felt like it was full of gravel. No idea how it didn't make more noise or leak worse than it did.

I've seen water pumps that make all kinds of noise but don't have any play and have seen some much worse than that that otherwise were almost silent.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've seen water pumps that make all kinds of noise but don't have any play and have seen some much worse than that that otherwise were almost silent.
    I'm just happy it lasted 250K miles. Gotta love the 2GR Toyota engines. Not a job I care to EVER do again.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    That vibration indicated by the shifter doesn't look all that abnormal really. I drove many foxbody mustangs that were like that. Urethane mounts, urethane bushings or solid rod ends on suspension parts does that real quick
    More than likely Danny will take good care of that 351w...so long as the owner doesn't try yo go too cheap on internal parts lol.

This all keeps reminding me that we have to have ours freshened up at the end of this season. Not looking forward to that
    Who said anything about urethane mounts?
    Seriously - motor mounts are oem rubber style, both crossmember mounts (chassis and transmission sides) are oem rubber style. There's no urethane mounts in that system.
    Only urethane mounts on the car are in the rear-lower control arms, and those were installed wayyyy after this started happening.
    If you wanna come take a ride or even drive it, I'm more than happy to facilitate that. I have a hard time believing this is normal OK.

Also, the owner is hoping to not *need* to spend too much money... That being said, it is what it is at this point and I'm doing whatever is necessary to get it running *right*.
    It should have at least 7 good pistons and rods. He's going to let me know if the 8th piston is still worth using. I have a link to the rod that needs to be purchased. New rings and bearings will need to be put in. It's possible that the crank will need to be replaced - he said he has some for $250 (hoping those are factory cast iron and not aftermarket cast steel). I did let him know the plan is mild boost now (5-10psi) and lots of boost later - when it gets swapped to the coupe for compound turbos and 600+ to the tire.

Top Bottom