• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Got more done on the 5.3 tonight. Got the last two exhaust bolts out. Gunk’d it, hosed it, and got most of the big chunks off. Brought it back in and pulled the oil pan. Need to swap it with mine and I got a chance to peak inside the crankcase. As clean as everywhere else.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got more done on the 5.3 tonight. Got the last two exhaust bolts out. Gunk’d it, hosed it, and got most of the big chunks off. Brought it back in and pulled the oil pan. Need to swap it with mine and I got a chance to peak inside the crankcase. As clean as everywhere else.

You seem to have a winner there.
    I started cleaning up the crank for your deal today. Killing time before some after work A/C calls.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Any tips on how to get a motor off of a trans? It’s got bosses in the back of the block that are about 3/4” long. Looks like it pretty much has to come straight out before I can pick it up. I’d rather not split the trans case.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Any tips on how to get a motor off of a trans? It’s got bosses in the back of the block that are about 3/4” long. Looks like it pretty much has to come straight out before I can pick it up. I’d rather not split the trans case.

If you get all the bolts out and it will come right off. Have the engine blocked up so it will not nose over.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Not to sound insulting did you remove the torque converter bolts ?
    The converter has a very tight fit snout into the crank often you can remove the Trans and the converter will stay in place stuck in the crank.

CM is right on with the wiggle method also raise and lower your trans jack while looking at the front of the trans where it meets the block some of them are kinda stuck to the block or the alignment pins.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wait.....are you actually pulling the trans and then the engine...........:):

I have a tip tool that makes pulling engine/trans a breeze. I can do it by myself. And man I am :oldwise:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I forgot. Did we determine that 9.7:1 would be fine in pump gas with aluminum heads?

Oh yeah you’re good. I’m gonna be right at that with my engine and it’ll have iron heads. I’d do a cranking compression test after the engine’s all together just to see where you’re at. Above 170 psi is good, below that can be sluggish. Once you get close 200 psi though is when you can start to have issues. I’m gonna run a pretty cool stat to help knock also.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom