• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm a huge fan of atomic filament in northern Indiana, I don't run cheap filament unless its gifted to me.

I bought some of their filament from mrrf last year.
    I like it. I emailed them last week to see if the were going to have the same prices but online. Since everything has been canceled. They said table prices were that only, table prices.
    The hairy lion in the pic is Push Plastic filament, they are out of Arkansas. It is has been some really good stuff. I have only used 11 different filament brands. There are close to 100 or more brands so I haven't scratched the surface yet.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I bought some of their filament from mrrf last year.
    I like it. I emailed them last week to see if the were going to have the same prices but online. Since everything has been canceled. They said table prices were that only, table prices.
    The hairy lion in the pic is Push Plastic filament, they are out of Arkansas. It is has been some really good stuff. I have only used 11 different filament brands. There are close to 100 or more brands so I haven't scratched the surface yet.

I've tried some cheap stuff from frys electronics, it was ok I guess, didn't print as nicely as atomic...I also have some taulman 910 nylon, prints pretty good but will need a garolite sheet to get the most out of it. I've been meaning to try other brands but I just haven't yet.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Same for atomic...what slicer are you using?

I've heard good things about atomic before too, but I've got my profiles all (mostly) nicely dialed in for Hatchbox, it's not too expensive, and we can get it from Amazon in 2 days. Just not a reason to change. That said, I'm also very local to SeeMeCNC and if I really needed it, they'd hand deliver me anything I asked for. Good people over there. :yesway:

I use Cura and Simplify3D primarily, but I've dabbled with MatterControl a little too. I radically prefer Simplify3D of the 3. As the name implies, it's very simple to use, yet packs all of the raw power of Cura. It just does it without all of the insane menus and check boxes and stuff. I look at S3D as more of a sledge hammer that can be swung softly and Cura as more of a precision instrument that you have to use precisely every time.

I'm also doing all of this in a professional environment, but, if I setup a printer at home I'll be buying S3D. Well worth it, IMO.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Ever done anything with the volcano hotends? I'm considering that approach on our CR10 Max at work. I think we already have an microswiss hot end.

I've not, but a close buddy runs one on his cr10S. Combined with a bondtech extruder, he's pretty happy with the performance, but took some dialing in initially. Honestly the creality printers could benefit from a direct drive conversion once you start getting into larger nozzles. The stock hot ends are basically microswiss clones.

Are you able to go to a bigger nozzle, i.e. .6mm or will the hotend not handle any bigger. I have seen the crealitys in person, never used them though.

This is true... the extruder/hotend combo gets difficult to keep up when going to .8 nozzles or larger really. that's where the volcano and bondtech come into play. I had a mosquito but never wound up installing it... I'm just not much of a tinkerer (unless crap breaks). I'm content printing and painting vs tinkering.

I'm a huge fan of atomic filament in northern Indiana, I don't run cheap filament unless its gifted to me.
    I've got a few spools but have yet to test. Especially interested in their petg, which I have a spool of but just haven't gotten to it yet. But lots of friends speak highly of them. Usually esun pla+ is my go to. prints a little hotter, but it's consistent and smooth. I'm not a fan of finding and trying 10$ filaments... been there, done that, and it wound up being a waste of time mostly

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Saw a FB post about this.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4249113
    Printed a bunch out for the wife and her coworkers. She does CT and X-ray. Should start learning MRI this fall. It is all her place does. Alot of cancer patients so she not a high risk as ppl at hospitals. But she does wear all the ppe. She says they help. But slip down on her hair. She had to put her pony tail higher.

I dont have access to clear sheats or know ppl that need face shield. So this is one thing i can help with

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Printed a bunch out for the wife and her coworkers. She does CT and X-ray. Should start learning MRI this fall. It is all her place does. Alot of cancer patients so she not a high risk as ppl at hospitals. But she does wear all the ppe. She says they help. But slip down on her hair. She had to put her pony tail higher.

I dont have access to clear sheats or know ppl that need face shield. So this is one thing i can help with

Nice thanks.

BTW what the hell is up with Thingiverse lately? been away from it for awhile and it is about unusable.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Nice... I am printing the same. I can fit 24 of these on my s4 build plate...
    My daughter says they can use them at riley.... It doesn't bother her ears, but she said many nurses complain about the elastic rubbing their ears raw lately.

I have a UV rig & enough 99% IPA & gloves for my resin rig, that i can sanitize these before going out the door. I'm sure they will wipe them down anyways, but just to be safe...

So far the transparency sheets are difficult to come by, and everyone in healthcare I've asked has appreciated the effort but declined any face shields.

If any 1st responders out there are reading this let me know if you can use them also.

As for thingiverse, they've been jacking it up trying to 'upgrade it' for the past month or two... frustrating.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've not, but a close buddy runs one on his cr10S. Combined with a bondtech extruder, he's pretty happy with the performance, but took some dialing in initially. Honestly the creality printers could benefit from a direct drive conversion once you start getting into larger nozzles. The stock hot ends are basically microswiss clones.

I'm expecting a good bit of tinkering with it when the time comes. Our Creality is at a different facility from me at the moment and it's just doing kind of "point and shoot" work with the guys over there right now. I'll eventually relocate to it as well and then the fun will begin. I basically had to panic buy the printer, and what i could research to buy with it, in a few hours just before the end of the year when we got a sudden green light to burn some budget.

I'll have to check into the direct drive conversion and all of that when the time comes. I'd like to be able to print big ABS parts in a big hurry, so it's probably going to be on the agenda.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'm expecting a good bit of tinkering with it when the time comes. Our Creality is at a different facility from me at the moment and it's just doing kind of "point and shoot" work with the guys over there right now. I'll eventually relocate to it as well and then the fun will begin. I basically had to panic buy the printer, and what i could research to buy with it, in a few hours just before the end of the year when we got a sudden green light to burn some budget.

I'll have to check into the direct drive conversion and all of that when the time comes. I'd like to be able to print big ABS parts in a big hurry, so it's probably going to be on the agenda.

Not a bad choice on the cr-10.
    Flexplate and EZABL (from TH3D) are decent mods to help with their warped beds and dual gantry Z not synching...
    For ABS, an enclosure would be needed for sure. A simple insulation foam made box works in a pinch (even cardboard box really), but there are a few outfits that offer foldable enclosures nowadays. Basically grow tents that have been redesigned for 3d printing.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Not a bad choice on the cr-10.
    Flexplate and EZABL (from TH3D) are decent mods to help with their warped beds and dual gantry Z not synching...
    For ABS, an enclosure would be needed for sure. A simple insulation foam made box works in a pinch (even cardboard box really), but there are a few outfits that offer foldable enclosures nowadays. Basically grow tents that have been redesigned for 3d printing.

I just bit the bullet on TH3D's fixed build plate EZABL kit. I don't know if it's an issue with the knobs (Ender 3 Pro) or what, but I've had them fall completely off several times, and the plate just doesn't hold level like I'd like.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I just bit the bullet on TH3D's fixed build plate EZABL kit. I don't know if it's an issue with the knobs (Ender 3 Pro) or what, but I've had them fall completely off several times, and the plate just doesn't hold level like I'd like.

One fix is going to stronger bed springs (The yellow ones). Basically when you pry your print off the bed, it throws the springs and wheels, etc out of wack depending on how bad you wrench on it.
    I don't know about the ender 3, but with the cr-10's glass is usually bowed badly. some go to mirror tile (mirror tile is usually flat because if it wasn't the mirror image would be wonky). But my bed is 400x400 (16" x 16") so harder to come by. I messed with tape on the bed under the glass, flipping the glass, etc, but the center was never the same as the corners.

So going with a magnetic flex plate, I can remove the 'bed', flex and remove the prints easily without screwing up any springs (although mine now has solid mounts).
    Then the abl just does the work for me each time I print if theres any change in the bed/position/etc

But with solid bed mounts, there should be no movements in the bed for you (Providing the wheels/bearings don't shift)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

I managed to get 32 on the s4 bed. takes 6.5 hrs to print at .28 layer height. not great but not bad.
    After giving a bunch to my daughter who works at riley, and finding quite a few staff there have liked them, I Posted them in my towns local FB group and gave away another 2 dozen. So maybe there's something to these... I'm printing more.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I managed to get 32 on the s4 bed. takes 6.5 hrs to print at .28 layer height. not great but not bad.
    After giving a bunch to my daughter who works at riley, and finding quite a few staff there have liked them, I Posted them in my towns local FB group and gave away another 2 dozen. So maybe there's something to these... I'm printing more.

Will be printing some out for the sister-inlaw and all her coworkers. Lead x-ray tech with 14 ppl under her at a hospital. Start on those after work tonight. Will have those mailed tomorrow morning. I get 5 on a prusa bed. Might get 6 but would be real tight. Or maybe get in get 6, 7 is tight. Dont remember 2 days ago. So much going on. Lol
    Im printing at .30 layers 2hr 10min print time. I can change to a .60 nozzle. But i dont want to do the work. Lol.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    One fix is going to stronger bed springs (The yellow ones). Basically when you pry your print off the bed, it throws the springs and wheels, etc out of wack depending on how bad you wrench on it.
    I don't know about the ender 3, but with the cr-10's glass is usually bowed badly. some go to mirror tile (mirror tile is usually flat because if it wasn't the mirror image would be wonky). But my bed is 400x400 (16" x 16") so harder to come by. I messed with tape on the bed under the glass, flipping the glass, etc, but the center was never the same as the corners.

So going with a magnetic flex plate, I can remove the 'bed', flex and remove the prints easily without screwing up any springs (although mine now has solid mounts).
    Then the abl just does the work for me each time I print if theres any change in the bed/position/etc

But with solid bed mounts, there should be no movements in the bed for you (Providing the wheels/bearings don't shift)

I started out with the magnetic mats, but ended up picking up a glass bad. That's very nice once you have it tweaked. TH3D has a solid mount kit with a camera mount for a webcam if you're using OctoPrint, so I ended up going for one of those. I didn't realize they're in NW Indiana - the stuff I ordered yesterday should be at my house today. Love it!

Top Bottom