• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'm planning to go to Oshkosh this year. They will have a B-52 there. I've seen one do a flyover at they Indy 500 but have not seen on up close, on the ground. I'm pretty excited about it, if the trip up there pans out.

Correction....Other than the B-52D at the National Museum of the USAF. I've not been close to a G or H on the ground. Can't wait.

Last edited:

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I'm planning to go to Oshkosh this year. They will have a B-52 there. I've seen one do a flyover at they Indy 500 but have not seen on up close, on the ground. I'm pretty excited about it, if the trip up there pans out.

Correction....Other than the B-52D at the National Museum of the USAF. I've not been close to a G or H on the ground. Can't wait.
    Flyover is the best part of Indy. The P51 and the Stealth bomber were 2 of my favorite of the 30 or so I saw.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    What we need is for a few B-52 bombers to drop a few bomb loads on Iran and turn the sand and everything else there to glass with the heat generated by the bombs. That would solve the nuisance that is Iran! :dunno:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The first production B-52, B-52A-1-BO tail number 52-001, took its first flight on this date (5 Aug) in 1954. It had rolled off the production line on 18 Mar1954. It was the first B-52 to have the side-by-side seating; the YB- and XB-52s had the B-47 style/fighter style inline bubble canopy arrangment.

IMG_0899.jpeg

If you go to the link below the second picture showing the 18 Mar 54 rollout, it looks like the vertical stabilizer is missing. It isn’t, the tail was so tall that the vert stab was hinged so it could be laid over and the whole plane would fit in the hangers of the era. This is not some thing that was done frequently, I think I remember reading somewhere that it took about seven hours to lay the thing over, so most maintenance was done or with the tail sticking out of the hanger.

Last edited:

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Cool story time. 1985 on the flight line at Mt Home AFB, ID. The Wing was conducting an Operational Readiness Exercise. I am working on the afterburner of an F-111, when the sirens go off and loud speakers call out ALARM RED, MOPP 4, TAKE COVER. I jumped out of the Ardvark and ran to the nearest bunker on the ramp. I dived in and rolled onto my back, looking straight up. As I started putting on my protective mask, a B-52 came screaming over at low level. It raced right down the flight line, with it's bomb bay doors open. I just stopped and took it all in. Beast was loud and shook the ground as it passed overhead. Pretty much knew I was obliterated, if it had been a real bomb run.

Of course, in the real world, things would have to be pretty bad if a Russian TU-95 was able to get directly over an Allied base.

pook-tu-95-cup-version-10-7_4.jpg
    Hey Snoop, I think I flew that mission! I was a B-52 instructor at Castle AFB, CA (now closed) in 1985, and we did a low-level pass over some airbase up north to kick off their ORI. The tower and the wing senior leadership knew we were coming but that was it. The first guy in approach control denied us an overflight due to the exercise about to kick off, and so did the second. We contacted tower and we were cleared in. I did an airborne radar directed approach on the airfield and we opened the doors as we flew over. Kinda fuzzy on the details since it was so long ago, so I can't swear it was Mt Home. But I do remember the flight. It was kinda fun, really.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Hey Snoop, I think I flew that mission! I was a B-52 instructor at Castle AFB, CA (now closed) in 1985, and we did a low-level pass over some airbase up north to kick off their ORI. The tower and the wing senior leadership knew we were coming but that was it. The first guy in approach control denied us an overflight due to the exercise about to kick off, and so did the second. We contacted tower and we were cleared in. I did an airborne radar directed approach on the airfield and we opened the doors as we flew over. Kinda fuzzy on the details since it was so long ago, so I can't swear it was Mt Home. But I do remember the flight. It was kinda fun, really.
    It looked awesome seeing the bomb bay doors open as the BUFF screamed down the flightline. Of course, if it had been the real deal, I would have been vaporized by a stick of MK82's sending us to the afterlife.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Good view of BUFF landing gear crabbing the fuselage into the wind for takeoff:

Crosswind-schmosswind! The BUFF became operational 70 years ago. Now I must check the Military BS Stories thread and see if I posted any BUFF stories ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    IDriver
    Top Bottom