• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rnungester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I work with family, blowing up inflatables, during the summer. We were down at Shakamak State Park, hosting an event for kids. It was a long hot day, and we all were packing up to go home. After we loaded our last inflatable, we all (girlfriend, co-worker, myself) jumped into the truck and headed for home. While on our way, I see a woman on the side of the road flagging us down, she had her green ford ranger's hood up and acting like she was having car problems. Me, feeling like I should help her out pulled the truck over to the side of the road and got my knife and stuck it in my pocket. As I got out of the vehicle, she is was saying, "help please" I get out of the truck and as I step out of the truck a man in the driver seat pops his head up, at this time I can see in the cab of the truck, he had a 12 gauge shotgun laying across his lap. I then put myself in a position between the cab of the truck and the back window, where he could point the gun without getting out of the truck, I then ran and jumped in the window of our truck as I was yelling to my girlfriend and fellow co-worker, "GO GO GO." It was at this point in my life I decided I will no longer be walking around without a weapon.

After driving off and recollecting on the situation I put the pieces of that situation together. The woman was the decoy to get someone to pull over, the man was then going to either shoot me or demand money from me. I haven't ever been that scared in my life, it was at that time my life did flash before my eyes.

I now am a gun fanatic. I love to buy/resell guns. You will not find me on any given day without my kahr .40 on my hip/ankle.

Lets hear some stories about the reason why you believe it's imperative to conceal carry...
    :ar15:

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I work with family, blowing up inflatables, during the summer. We were down at Shakamak State Park, hosting an event for kids. It was a long hot day, and we all were packing up to go home. After we loaded our last inflatable, we all (girlfriend, co-worker, myself) jumped into the truck and headed for home. While on our way, I see a woman on the side of the road flagging us down, she had her green ford ranger's hood up and acting like she was having car problems. Me, feeling like I should help her out pulled the truck over to the side of the road and got my knife and stuck it in my pocket. As I got out of the vehicle, she is was saying, "help please" I get out of the truck and as I step out of the truck a man in the driver seat pops his head up, at this time I can see in the cab of the truck, he had a 12 gauge shotgun laying across his lap. I then put myself in a position between the cab of the truck and the back window, where he could point the gun without getting out of the truck, I then ran and jumped in the window of our truck as I was yelling to my girlfriend and fellow co-worker, "GO GO GO." It was at this point in my life I decided I will no longer be walking around with a weapon.

After driving off and recollecting on the situation I put the pieces of that situation together. The woman was the decoy to get someone to pull over, the man was then going to either shoot me or demand money from me. I haven't ever been that scared in my life, it was at that time my life did flash before my eyes.

I now am a gun fanatic. I love to buy/resell guns. You will not find me on any given day without my kahr .40 on my hip/ankle.

:ar15:

You may want to fix the underlined part.

Edit: I see you already did.:):

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    By Leo's? Do you mean cops?(not being a smart ***) Yes, I did... No word on the apprehension of the individuals
    LEO= Law Enforcement Officer

There are a bunch of acronyms used on this site, some of them not-so-obvious.

Wait, shouldn't there be a list of commonly used acronyms in the FAQ? Sorry, never read the FAQ.:dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    Add one more for reason to carry. I never, never leave home with out a weapon with me. Most of the time it's 2, and a s&$t load of ammo for both!!!!!!!!!! Now your story can make others see how bad this world is. I'm glad your ok and thanks for the eye opener..

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    God help us all, this countrys going to_ _ _ _. Wont be able to get any legitiment help pretty soon from anyone. Scum of the earth has everyone skiddish. Had a simliar thing happen to me with a scared crying woman at my front door, When I told her I would call the police for her , she suddenly got feeling better and the waterworks shut off and had to go. HUM?. (yes, I did call the PD).

Last edited:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Back in the 1980s, my wife's car was rear ended by another car,and 2 drunks(she thought) got out of the car, at 6:15 am. She didn't like the odd way they were approaching, so she drove to the police station to file a report. Officer drove to scene, people were gone. No damage to wife's car, couple of scratches, and was told that this has been happening. Never saw anything in the newspaper? They rob or carjack the other party. Cell phones weren't around then.
    Bought two handguns that day, and signed up for 2 LTCH, and a firearms safety course run by the gun store. Hers lapsed, mine has been current since 1982. The guns: 1- S&W m36 38 spec 2in, hers: Beretta 25acp w/ tip barrel.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    With or without a gun I still think you did the right thing by running. You and your friends/family are still alive and uninjuried, so I say it turned out well. I carry, but I would have done the same thing.

Hopefully the cops caught the two.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I can't see in the OP (original post) where the guy with the shotgun showed aggression? What am I missing? Granted I would have gotten out of there most likely also but there is a LOT of information that you have about the situation that just doesn't lend itself to written communication. I guess I'm saying, if I were broken down I would be just as concerned about protecting myself as you were about it being a trap.
    What led you to believe he was laying in wait and not just making sure you weren't going to take advantage of their situation?
    I'm certainly not trying to arm chair quarterback this or question your decision, but I'm curious.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I can remember many years ago that it was a fairly common story about a woman out hitchhiking, when you stop to pick her up a guy or two hop up out of the ditch.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I think at that point it's time to make yourself scarce and get the LEOs involved. Maybe nothing, maybe she's the victim, maybe you were to be, but it's not for you to analyze and determine that. That's what those guys are for. I don't want them busting into my house and shooting my dog, but there's stuff I don't mind leaving to them.

rnungester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Awesome insight by all. I was lead to believe I was the one about to be trapped, because after I put my car in park, got out of the car and was within 10' of the car, he suddenly popped his head up and looked straight at me,after viewing the exposed weapon which he had laying across his lap with his hand on the stock and barrel, I looked at the woman she was no longer concerned with her vehicle. I then ran and dove into my truck, and suddenly "their" vehicle was in commission again driving the other way down the road. I cannot predict what would have happened if I would have stayed, but I am glad I didn't stick around to find out.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    fist rule, never pick up people from the road at any time, tell them you will call police for them and move on, i did lear that in different way do, i pick up an old lady that was walking in the street and ask for ride, she was carring a plastic bags that i did not notice what she was carring, she jump in the car and she kind of smell bad so i open my window and keep rolling, she get out few block after and i notice that the was a nasty spot in my carpet, it was bad, she was carring some type if decomposing food that drip out in my car and had to drive 50 miles like dog pulling my head off the window so i did not puke, that was my last esperience as good samaritan, since them i dont even bother.

Top Bottom