• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I used to actually agree with a lot of what you have posted on INGO but you just shot yourself in the foot with that one. Having a bachelors, masters, or doctorate degree doesn't mean **** in the real world. It means that you are able to take information in and regurgitate it in the appropriate spaces to pass the tests. Street smarts are what really count in LE and I would venture to guess that a lot of people with degrees would make ****ty cops.
    It's been my sad experience that some Officers with Degrees feel that they are superior to The Public because they are "better educated".
    The idea of a Civilian Police Force it to utilize personnel who are "from the masses".
    Not the Intelligentsia.
    I'm NOT knocking anyone with a College Degree.
    It's a thing to be proud of!!
    After someone graduates from College they would be a little foolish to enter Law Enforcement. Unless it were on a Federal level.
    There are jobs for Graduates that pay a great deal more than Police work and don't have the inherent dangers that go with it.
    In 2006 the Indiana State Police dropped the requirement that applicants have at least 60 hrs of College Credit, or prior Police experience.
    The number of applicants had dropped dramatically since the inception of that rule ten years earlier.
    In general applications for Police jobs rise when the economy is bad, and drop, when there are other, higher paying jobs available.
    Mike

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Well, You Are :rolleyes:

Yeah, I figured. But I'm okay with being a realistic cold jerk, rather than a dreaming nice guy who believes that the money will never run out. Someone has to say these things.

Eddie, I feel the same way about every government organization you pointed out. And - handing out tickets and selling permits doesn't create income. It simply takes it from one group of people and gives it to another, at gunpoint.

Creating products and selling them does create income for Indiana and the United States. Am I saying I don't want to pay cops? No, I'm just saying they shouldn't expect to live like Kings, rather like peasants when they work in a profession that raises ZERO income.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    No, I'm just saying they shouldn't expect to live like Kings, rather like peasants when they work in a profession that raises ZERO income.

Nothing has Changed :rolleyes:
    Yep Sarge...you're right. If I could buy some of these blow hard idiots for what they are worth and sell them for what they think they are worth...I could retire comfortably right now and not have to live like a peasant.

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    It simply takes it from one group of people and gives it to another, at gunpoint.

You mean while armed. I don't know of any LEO that has ever issued a UTT or summons while having their gun pointed at the person being issued the ticket. I guess the fact LEOs carry guns has you so discombobulated that you typed the wrong thing.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    I used to actually agree with a lot of what you have posted on INGO but you just shot yourself in the foot with that one. Having a bachelors, masters, or doctorate degree doesn't mean **** in the real world. It means that you are able to take information in and regurgitate it in the appropriate spaces to pass the tests. Street smarts are what really count in LE and I would venture to guess that a lot of people with degrees would make ****ty cops.

You misunderstood my post.

Having a degree doesn't mean much. The process of obtaining a degree is the purpose to my argument.

Completion of higher education demonstrates that one is able to pursue a course of action, and complete it. That in itself, speaks of a character trait. A college degree generally demonstrates the ability to a view, analyze, quantify, and solve. While it isn't a silver bullet to the world's problems, it certainly doesn't hurt to have some background in critical and methodical thinking.

Too often, arbitrary ignorance and laziness is respectively substituted for logic and work ethic. When applied to law enforcement, it then becomes a real potential for injustice.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have a 4yr degree. I was a part time police officer while being a full-time student. The end goal was to become a police officer but that does not make the degree any less important.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I live like a peasant. :( Mid level pay, but my benefits suck. Only my kids and I have insurance. IF we were to get it for my wife on the public plan that we are on, I would net about $600 a paycheck. I don't want to live like a king (well, actually I do, but I don't EXPECT to,) I just want to be paid what I'm worth.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Nothing has Changed :rolleyes:

Like I said I'd rather be an honest realist that no one likes, than a dreaming guy everyone likes. The money will eventually run out.

Yep Sarge...you're right. If I could buy some of these blow hard idiots for what they are worth and sell them for what they think they are worth...I could retire comfortably right now and not have to live like a peasant.

Blow hard huh? I know that I'm not worth that much to this state, monetary wise, but I do make a decent sized donation in a year (tax wise) to the State of Indiana.

But people who create nothing, mine nothing, drill nothing, etc. create zero real revenue for the state of Indiana. The idea of police and other city/state employees paying taxes is laughable when you really think about it. Your employers - "here, have some tax money as payment for being a cop." Later, Cop - "Here employer, here is part of my earnings (tax money) that you give me, you can have some of them back as taxes." Why don't public employees simply take a smaller check to begin with and just not have to pay any taxes? It's all just OUR tax money floating back and forth, causes there to be a city employee to handle all of this tax money going back and forth, therefore causing...MORE TAXES.

My main point is this. People who create or produce things, or pull things out of the Earth to sell, create actual revenue for the state of Indiana

People who don't create/produces or pull things out of the Earth to sell don't create any revenue for the state of Indiana. They are simply just shuffle-boarding our pile of money all around.

And we're supposed to be Capitalists.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    all this talk about going to college reminded me of something i heard one time might have been said before but the first time i heard it was in an interview a guy said i didnt have time to go to college i was too busy learning things. the guy was ted nugent. just sayin.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    all this talk about going to college reminded me of something i heard one time might have been said before but the first time i heard it was in an interview a guy said i didnt have time to go to college i was too busy learning things. the guy was ted nugent. just sayin.

There are individuals who embrace the educational tenants, complete stellar academic achievement, and aren't worth a damn. There are others, whom have little formal education, that demonstrate brilliant abilities.

There are exceptions to every rule. The Nuge may be one, but I would consider Lincoln, Einstein, and Edison to be more notable as academic underachievers, that excelled in life. Even Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard to create Microsoft Corporation. These individuals, however, are more the exception, than the rule.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    There are individuals who embrace the educational tenants, complete stellar academic achievement, and aren't worth a damn. There are others, whom have little formal education, that demonstrate brilliant abilities.

There are exceptions to every rule. The Nuge may be one, but I would consider Lincoln, Einstein, and Edison to be more notable as academic underachievers, that excelled in life. Even Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard to create Microsoft Corporation. These individuals, however, are more the exception, than the rule.

And those college graduates who go on to do what Lincoln, Einstein, Edison, and Gates did are more the exception, than the rule as well.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Require more in the manner of qualifications first.

An inner city High School Diploma shouldn't be the only educational criteria. No doubt that the criminals are smarter than many of those enforcing the law.

Some departments are starting to require Bach in Criminal Justice. I agree the "Higher Standard" should also be higher educated.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I have a 4yr degree. I was a part time police officer while being a full-time student. The end goal was to become a police officer but that does not make the degree any less important.
    As I said a College Degree is a thing to be proud of.
    The work and effort needed is tremendous and the subsequent pay scales made by Graduates are richly deserved.
    My Daughter worked her way through IU because her Mother and I couldn't give her financial help. That type of dedication is an indicator of a persons character and will to succeed.
    I just wouldn't eliminate non College Graduates from Police Work.
    The ISP tried to hire College Grads only and it lasted for just a decade.
    They discovered that Grads can make much better money in the Private Sector, and Police work, while fulfilling, is not as prestigious as a higher paying Corporate position.
    I know a Trooper who quit the ISP to take a management position in a Bank.
    He felt that he was wasting his education on Police work. I won't fault him for that decision because he's a friend, but I'm sure that his case is not an isolated incident.
    Mike

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I know that I'm not worth that much to this state,...
    You're worth even less to me.

I think anyone who works in the public sector that's not a politician knows they won't become rich doing so. I know I won't. As in everything else, I'm sure there is always the exception to the rule.

But for you to suggest that anyone who does these jobs should live as a peasant is ridiculous. I should have just considered the source and left it at that. :rolleyes:

Another smoking357...just out to see how much crap he can stir.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    And those college graduates who go on to do what Lincoln, Einstein, Edison, and Gates did are more the exception, than the rule as well.

I must respectfully disagree with your assessment, not only based upon information and belief, but the statement appears to be logically flawed.

Great things = Non college graduates are the exception

Great things = College graduates are the exception

What is the third choice?

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    What law enforcement produces is an environment where commerce, education and recreation can be freely pursued. If you have ever been in a lawless country, you would see a stark contrast.

What has really disappointed me are the ridiculous claims of huge benefits, health care at no cost and salaries for public sector workers. Those of you who threw out slurs about bribes and theft should be ashamed. Does it happen? Sure. But less often than a private sector worker steals, takes or solicits bribes, etc.

PEOPLE WAKE UP! No one was worried what the public sector worker made until the economy tanked. Then the talking heads on TV decide to to make an US v. THEM story to get some ratings. THe problem is not the wage or benefits of the WORKING TAX PAYING public or private sector person. It is the money going to non-working, non-tax-paying individuals and organizations as "entitlements". This administration is only too happy to see you attack fellow citizens, as long as you do not look behind "the curtain"

To my fellow LEOs and other public sevants. Thank you for all you do, you know your worth and do not need to defend your compensation to people who have no clue and either would or could not do your job.

Top Bottom