• BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Wayne Allyn Root's Million-Dollar Challenge

Matt Welch | September 5, 2008

Last week, just before Sen. Barack Obama's (D-Ill.) big speech, Tim Cavanaugh and I attended a small fundraiser for Libertarian Party vice presidential nominee Wayne Allyn Root. The chatty Vegas sports bettor, memorably profiled by David Weigel two months back, was in a mind to talk about a fellow classmate of his at Columbia University back in the early 1980s, a guy by the name of Barack Obama.
    Root is no fan of the Democratic nominee: "A vote for Obama is four years of Karl Marx, and no one should be happy about that," he told us and a few genial young libertarian activists over cocktails. "He's a communist! I don't care what anybody says. The guy's a communist.... And his mother was a card-carrying communist, and he says she's the most important person in his entire life; he learned everything from her."
    But the thing Root really wanted to talk about was Obama's grades. Specifically, he was willing to bet a million dollars that he earned a better grade point average at Columbia than his old classmate, and that the only reason Obama went on to Harvard Law School was the color of his skin.
    Some excerpts from the conversation:
    Matt Welch: So tell us what we should know about Barack Obama that we don't?
    Wayne Allyn Root: I think the most dangerous thing you should know about Barack Obama is that I don't know a single person at Columbia that knows him, and they all know me. I don't have a classmate who ever knew Barack Obama at Columbia. Ever!
    Welch: Yeah, but you were like selling, you know, Amway in college or something, weren't you?
    Root: Is that what you think of me! And the best damned Amway salesman ever!
    Welch: No, I'm sure that you were an outgoing young man, I'm just guessing.
    Root: I am! That's my point. Where was Obama? He wasn't an outgoing young man, no one ever heard of him.
    Tim Cavanaugh: Maybe he was a late bloomer.
    Root: Maybe. Or maybe he was involved in some sort of black radical politics.
    Welch: Ooooooooooh.
    Root: Maybe he was too busy smoking pot in his dorm room to ever show up for class. I don't know what he was doing!
    Welch: Wait, you weren't smoking pot in your dorm room?
    Root: No, I wasn't. I wasn't. But I don't hold that against anybody, but I wasn't.... Nobody recalls him. I'm not exaggerating, I'm not kidding.
    Welch: Were you the exact same class?
    Root: Class of '83 political science, pre-law Columbia University. You don't get more exact than that. Never met him in my life, don't know anyone who ever met him. At the class reunion, our 20th reunion five years ago, 20th reunion, who was asked to be the speaker of the class? Me. No one ever heard of Barack! Who was he, and five years ago, nobody even knew who he was.
    Other guy: Did he even show up to the reunion?
    Root: I don't know! I didn't know him. I don't think anybody knew him. But I know that the guy who writes the class notes, who's kind of the, as we say in New York, the macha who knows everybody, has yet to find a person, a human who ever met him. Is that not strange? It's very strange.
    Welch: That's peculiar! Do you have any theories?
    Root: Don't have any theories. I don't know. Don't know why. Kept to himself.... The only thing I could even imagine is that he talks in his biographies about being, you know, his identity crisis, his "am I black or am I white?" He chose black. And he hung out with a couple of black kids and never went near anybody and his wife? That's the only thing I can think of. All my buddies are white, what can I tell you! They don't know him, nobody's ever seen him, I don't know what to tell you.
    Other guy: That's the era.
    Root: That's the era. I mean, when I went to Columbia, the black kids were all at like tables going "Black Power!" We used to walk by and go, "What the hell are they talking about." And they didn't associate with us and we didn't associate with them. So if you track down a couple of black students, they'll probably know him. But nobody white's ever heard of this guy. It's quite amazing. Nobody remembers him. They don't remember him sitting in class.
    Welch: Black power in '83?
    Root: Ha ha. That's Columbia. Colubmia's radical, always was. There was gay power over here, and pot power over here, and black power over there, and Hispanic power over here, and feminism.
    Welch: And what was your power?
    Root: Oh I was the bookie guy, don't worry about it.... But here's the story that I think the press should be digging up, I really mean this, about Barack Obama. When George Bush annoyed everyone the first thing they went to was how dumb he was, and they said how bad he did in Yale, and blah blah blah, he got a C average. Then they found his C average was better than Al Gore's average, and it was better than John Kerry's average!
    Cavanaugh: And then you stopped hearing the story.
    Root: Right. But the point is all three of them had C averages. I had a B-plus, A-minus average at Columbia University.
    Welch: Wait, you're bragging on your GPA?
    Root: No, no I'm not, because here's the moral to the story.... I had a B-plus, A-minus average at Columbia University, in four years. When I graduated, I took the LSATs and I did well. I didn't do great, I did well; B-plus, A-minus average. My counselor at Columbia said don't even bother applying to Harvard Law School, because you can get into any law school in the country with your record, except Columbia, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton [Editor's Note: Princeton doesn't have a law school]. Except for the very top, you can get in anywhere, but don't even try those, because your grades don't cut it.
    Well, everyone says how bright Barack is, but Barack won't release his transcripts from Columbia University.
    Cavanaugh: Hmmmm.
    Root: And I'd be willing to bet every dime I have in the world, a million dollars I'll put, I'll put a million dollars cash on the fact—
    Welch: This is on the record—
    Root: —that my GPA was better than Barack's—
    Welch: Oooooh.
    Root: ...and he got in based on the color of his skin.
    Does anyone doubt that possibly Barack could have gotten into Harvard with a C average because he's black, where as I, white, couldn't get into the same school with a B-plus, A-minus average? And yet his wife says that America is a terrible nation unfair to minorities! I say, Au contraire!
    I say the whole problem with America is we are racist against people because of the color of their skin. We're helping people because they're black. We're helping people because they're minority. We're helping people because they're poor. In reality only those who have the most skill and talent should get into Harvard, not because of the color of their skin.
    So now I ask out loud in the press, I challenge my classmate to give his GPA against mine. And let's see if he really is the bright guy they all say he is. What if we discover he got into Harvard with a C average? Is he then the brilliant man America thinks he is? That would be a very good question, don't you think?
    Welch: The follow-up I want to ask is: What if it's better than yours? You just said a million dollars!
    Root: Well, who's taking the bet? I didn't hear anyone accept. No, I'm pretty sure I'm right. I'll go out on a limb. Listen, they always said with O.J. Simpson, you know, never ask the question if you don't know the answer, does the glove fit? I don't know the answer but I'm pretty sure I know the answer. He had a lower average than me and he got into Harvard and I didn't.
    And so my answer is, has America really been unfair to minorities? No it hasn't. It was unfair to me. A white butcher's kid, whose father had no money, but nobody gave me a break. And do I have a chip on my shoulder? You're damn right I do. And I represent millions and millions of poor people in this country who weren't lucky enough to be poor and black, they were unlucky enough to be poor and white, and they can't get into Harvard. So maybe that country Barack's fighting for, he's got the wrong country here. He's been just fine in this country. The rest of us need someone to defend them....
    Anyway my point is, for those of us in America who want to fight for talent being the determiner of who's successful or not, I'm your representative. Obama's the wrong representative. And for those who disagree, I say: I'm for affirmative action—I think the NBA should be 80 percent white. [...]
    Welch: And are you hitting this note as you're doing all this media that you're doing from Nevada and stuff?
    Root: I actually haven't; I brought it up tonight to you guys for the first time because I think reason is the right media to bring it up with, without being painted as a racist. Because I don't have a racist bone in my body.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this guy but he seems bold. So where are Obama's grades? Everyone seems to think he is so smart, it should be easy enough to back that up shouldn't it?

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    You can't say you were hurt by affirmative action if you didn't even bother to apply.

I've never seen Affirmative Action help a poor White kid go to college.

I've also never seen Affirmative Action help a White college graduate hire on with IPD. (now IMPD)

Ask me how I know this.

So the idea behind AA is to combat racial injustice by giving preferential treatment to those with a certain skin color. Clear as mud.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You can't say you were hurt by affirmative action if you didn't even bother to apply.

While there's something to be said for "What's the worst they can do, tell you 'no'?", there is also a point where you give credence to the advice of your advisor (which is, after all, why they have that job title in the first place) Can they give bad advice? Of course they can. Was Root given bad advice? Possibly-I have no way to evaluate that. The fact is, though, that there is a reason the advisor told him what he told him, and if "affirmative action" was what led to the culture in which that advice even could have been sound, then I would say yes, he was hurt by "affirmative action". Does my opinion carry any weight? Depends who you ask, but there it is. I'll run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it. :patriot:

Blessings,
    B

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    While there's something to be said for "What's the worst they can do, tell you 'no'?", there is also a point where you give credence to the advice of your advisor (which is, after all, why they have that job title in the first place) Can they give bad advice? Of course they can. Was Root given bad advice? Possibly-I have no way to evaluate that. The fact is, though, that there is a reason the advisor told him what he told him, and if "affirmative action" was what led to the culture in which that advice even could have been sound, then I would say yes, he was hurt by "affirmative action". Does my opinion carry any weight? Depends who you ask, but there it is. I'll run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it. :patriot:

Blessings,
    B

:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My next question since Obama has admitted to some Black Radical politics during his time at Columbia is this; Many black radicals switched to Islam as part of their rebellion. This could be why the statement made by Obama the other day about his Muslim faith rolled off of his tongue so easily. I wouldn't rule that out and personally don't think it is important except for an ommision if true. Not putting out his GPA from Columbia when Bush was pilloried with his speaks volumes to me. Is there is something to hide. This will become a problem. For some it might be affirmative action, others, possible Muslim connections, for me, it will be trying to hide the truth. Do we need more of that?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My next question since Obama has admitted to some Black Radical politics during his time at Columbia is this; Many black radicals switched to Islam as part of their rebellion. This could be why the statement made by Obama the other day about his Muslim faith rolled off of his tongue so easily. I wouldn't rule that out and personally don't think it is important except for an ommision if true. Not putting out his GPA from Columbia when Bush was pilloried with his speaks volumes to me. Is there is something to hide. This will become a problem. For some it might be affirmative action, others, possible Muslim connections, for me, it will be trying to hide the truth. Do we need more of that?

For me, it's just one more lie. If he is not proud of his faith, if he thinks it makes him unelectable (more so than, you know, NOT BEING AN AMERICAN CITIZEN), then the answer is, "My religious background is not a factor in my politics. I'm running to lead the country, not a prayer service." This is evasive, and the press (or the people) won't like it, but it is honest. Instead, he claims he is and always was a "Christian" when there is evidence to prove otherwise. B. Hussein Obama has not the first acquaintence with the truth or honesty, however, and if he happens to speak it, I think it is only by happenstance or accident.

Blessings,
    B

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana

Blessings,
    B

All I mean to say is that the guy says he was an average A-/B+ student who did well but not great on the LSAT. Harvard is the best/second best law school in the whole country. B+/A- and "well but not great" on the LSAT doesn't get in. When I was applying to law schools, the LSAT score for Harvard was 179 or 180/180. That is the very top of the 99th percentile. For perspective, I had a friend in law school with a 166 and that was 94th percentile. My 162 was 88th percentile. Harvard is very very very selctive, and this guy's counselor knew that. He/she looked at this guy's grades/LSAT score and said don't bother, applications are expensive. Was it good advice? Probably. Did he have to listen? No. If he really wanted to go to Harvard Law, he should have applied anyway. The point is that he didn't apply. Now he is crying about affirmative action being the reason he didn't get in. I could understand the argument if he had bothered applying, but he didn't. The one sure reason he didn't get in is because he didn't send an application.

I don't buy his line of thinking about not knowing Obama, either. I went to a school with 1000 people and didn't know everyone there. Columbia is a bit bigger than that.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    All I mean to say is that the guy says he was an average A-/B+ student who did well but not great on the LSAT. Harvard is the best/second best law school in the whole country. B+/A- and "well but not great" on the LSAT doesn't get in. When I was applying to law schools, the LSAT score for Harvard was 179 or 180/180. That is the very top of the 99th percentile. For perspective, I had a friend in law school with a 166 and that was 94th percentile. My 162 was 88th percentile. Harvard is very very very selctive, and this guy's counselor knew that. He/she looked at this guy's grades/LSAT score and said don't bother, applications are expensive. Was it good advice? Probably. Did he have to listen? No. If he really wanted to go to Harvard Law, he should have applied anyway. The point is that he didn't apply. Now he is crying about affirmative action being the reason he didn't get in. I could understand the argument if he had bothered applying, but he didn't. The one sure reason he didn't get in is because he didn't send an application.

I don't buy his line of thinking about not knowing Obama, either. I went to a school with 1000 people and didn't know everyone there. Columbia is a bit bigger than that.

I understand your point. You're also completely correct that he could not have gotten in at all without applying. I didn't take it that he was crying about it or even complaining that he didn't get in, but that Obama, who he claims to be pretty sure had a lower GPA, DID get in, ostensibly because of his skin color.

That he didn't know BHO, agreed, likely he didn't personally know everyone there. Much less likely that NO ONE there in that same program knew him, though. Possible, just unlikely.

Blessings,
    B

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I understand your point. You're also completely correct that he could not have gotten in at all without applying. I didn't take it that he was crying about it or even complaining that he didn't get in, but that Obama, who he claims to be pretty sure had a lower GPA, DID get in, ostensibly because of his skin color.

That he didn't know BHO, agreed, likely he didn't personally know everyone there. Much less likely that NO ONE there in that same program knew him, though. Possible, just unlikely.

Blessings,
    B

To be honest, I would be surprised if Obama had a lower GPA. The guy graded onto the Harvard Law Review, so he is obviously a good student.

About not being known, yeah, it is weird. I don't think it is impossible, especially considering he transferred in, but it is strange.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    To be honest, I would be surprised if Obama had a lower GPA. The guy graded onto the Harvard Law Review, so he is obviously a good student.

About not being known, yeah, it is weird. I don't think it is impossible, especially considering he transferred in, but it is strange.

If he was such a good student why has he not released his grades? It has the feel of having something to hide.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't know, I don't speak for his campaign. ;) Out of curiosity, what could be gained by releasing his undergrad grades? Other than appeasing a fringe candidate?

He could show the rest of us how much smarter and better he is than we mere peons. :rolleyes: Unless of course he didn't do so well after all.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Who said he graded on? I thought he wrote that he was elected.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The two ways onto law review are to have really high grades, or to write a really good paper in the write-on competition.

The law school I attended used that method for some of it's journals, but how do you know what method Harvard used at that time? Not like its etched in stone.

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Obama entered Harvard Law School in late 1988 and at the end of his first year was selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review based on his grades and a writing competition.[18] In his second year he was elected president of the Law Review, a full-time volunteer position functioning as editor-in-chief and supervising the law review's staff of 80 editors.[19] Obama's election in February 1990 as the first black president of the Harvard Law Review was widely reported and followed by several long, detailed profiles.[19] He graduated with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) magna *** laude from Harvard in 1991 and returned to Chicago where he had worked as a summer associate at the law firms of Sidley & Austin in 1989 and Hopkins & Sutter in 1990.
    If Wikipedia is correct and he graduated magna then his law school grades would have likely been in the upper 10%. Of course the article is about undergraduate grades, but Harvard is a competitive law school and he couldn't have been an idiot to place high (though some summas I've seen went on to fail their bar exams). He was elected editor apparently as a 3L. It says he got on through grades and writing competition and I have no reason to doubt it so I'll accept the contention. He's still a jackass though.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    obama_hubris_poster.jpg

Top Bottom