The Libertarian Party Race is Filling Up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I might decide to be pragmatic about the whole thing and go with the stoned Douchebag since I don't sell cupcakes.

That does seem rational and pragmatic, doesn't it make you want to just yell, "FEEL THE STONED DOUCHEBAG!"

No, I guess not.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You would think Gary would quickly spit out, say Mart Laar (who won a Friedman Prize), or Taavi Roivas, current PM of Estonia?

Perhaps Vit Jedlika of the Czech Republic, founder of Liberland?

I keep hearing about how smart Libertarians are, but when put to the test they fall apart like cardboard suitcases in the rain.

I would have thought Johnson would go for one of the progressives. Maybe he was too stoned to remember which ones.

AND he's still be a better president than Trump. Who we kidding, Hillary's winning this anyway.

Yes. Hillary will likely win. Get ready for the youngest "Ruth Bader Ginsburg" she can get through the Senate.

The fact that, as a group, those who adopt libertarian ideas tend to possess higher intelligence and cognitive reasoning skills than those who adopt conservative or liberal ideas doesn't discount individual pockets of intelligence or lack thereof in any group, it merely suggests that libertarians are more rational in their evaluation process and decision making, more selective perhaps in what they adopt and how they align themselves.

Interesting article.

I think libertarianism sort of appeals to people who need tidy logical consistency. But logical consistency isn't always the best trait in a leader. Also, "rational" doesn't necessarily mean "logical". When logic leads you off the ideological cliff, you need someone pragmatic enough to step in and be "rational". That's the problem I've typically had with many Libertarians is that they tend to be purists, promoting ideas for their logical consistency, rather than practicality. In other words, probably not as useful outside the think tanks.

So I think it doesn't suggest that libertarians are "more rational" in their evaluation process and decision making, though they do seem to like tidy logic. I wonder if Myer/Briggs might tend to confirm that.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...So I think it doesn't suggest that libertarians are "more rational" in their evaluation process and decision making, though they do seem to like tidy logic.

That's just what I gleaned from Dr Haidt's study that Kirk linked to. You may disagree.

I wonder if Myer/Briggs might tend to confirm that.

ATM confirms Myer/Briggs, Myer/Briggs does not confirm ATM. :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That does seem rational and pragmatic, doesn't it make you want to just yell, "FEEL THE STONED DOUCHEBAG!"

No, I guess not.

No. Makes me want to throw up actually.

It may be rational, and maybe pragmatic depending on the goals, but it's not necessarily logical, I admit.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    ... I think libertarianism sort of appeals to people who need tidy logical consistency. But logical consistency isn't always the best trait in a leader. Also, "rational" doesn't necessarily mean "logical". When logic leads you off the ideological cliff, you need someone pragmatic enough to step in and be "rational". That's the problem I've typically had with many Libertarians is that they tend to be purists, promoting ideas for their logical consistency, rather than practicality. In other words, probably not as useful outside the think tanks.

So Libertarians are a kind of proto-Vulcan?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    He's learning, I just saw him mentioned on the ABC nightly news for the first time. Also mentioned he was taking votes away from Hilary.

He recently tweated: "It's been almost 24 hours...and I still can't come up with a foreign leader I look up to."

So, pretend it wasn't a brain freeze and that you're just that picky. And, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with saying you don't really look up to any of the foreign leaders. But that's not what he said last night.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    He recently tweated: "It's been almost 24 hours...and I still can't come up with a foreign leader I look up to."

So, pretend it wasn't a brain freeze and that you're just that picky. And, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with saying you don't really look up to any of the foreign leaders. But that's not what he said last night.

Gaffes are getting Johnson more air time than anything else has. If I were him I'd down 20mg worth of sour gummy edibles and have an 'Aleppo moment' every day.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

No, I think it was meant to humorously contadict the headlines that said "Johnson can't come up with the name of any foreign leaders" which were also blatantly false. Perhaps also saying that there really aren't any foreign leaders to overwhelmingly admire.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, I think it was meant to humorously contadict the headlines that said "Johnson can't come up with the name of any foreign leaders" which were also blatantly false. Perhaps also saying that there really aren't any foreign leaders to overwhelmingly admire.

Well, yes, but while stammering you say you're having an "Aleppo" moment, that tends to support the idea behind the headlines. Maybe if he hadn't smoked so much weed his memory would be a little better. I think he'd have been better off saying that the current crop of admirable world leaders requires a much deeper screening than he could do on short notice to find one he could endorse endorse in that way.

I'd have agreed with that.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Well, yes, but while stammering you say you're having an "Aleppo" moment, that tends to support the idea behind the headlines. Maybe if he hadn't smoked so much weed his memory would be a little better. I think he'd have been better off saying that the current crop of admirable world leaders requires a much deeper screening than he could do on short notice to find one he could endorse endorse in that way.

I'd have agreed with that.

Yes, Johnson could benefit from some Reagan-style wit. He is not the most awesome communicator. And while public speaking takes practice, you can never get enough practice for this type of environment.

I would not relate that to a memory problem. I've done a fair bit of public speaking; being asked to shift to a sudden answer on something is not about knowledge or memory. It's purely a skill all its own. It's a very helpful campaign skill though. When the Aleppo came up, a more trained person might have said "could you be more specific"? While the questioner was then highlighting WHAT they were asking about Aleppo.... it likely would have triggered in Johnson that they were talking about Syria and not using an acronym.

It's not dissimilar to me cold-calling candidates that apply for a job with me. I fully realize that I am catching them off guard but I'm not looking for the right answers. I realize they would have better answers when they have time to think. I'm looking for how they do on the phone. Conversely, I don't really care if the president brushes off questions easily. But I don't really care which world leader he admires either.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The "world leader" question is stupid anyway. It's like asking a job candidate to tell his greatest weakness. The purpose isn't to learn the candidate's greatest weakness. It's not even to see how the candidate reacts to difficult questions. It's become not much more than a rote question interviewers ask because they're supposed to ask it, and the candidates answer it in the same rote ways they're taught to answer it: the safe way. They give the expected answer to the expected question.

I'll give Johnson this much. At least he answered it honestly instead of making up the expected answer to the expected question like Hilary did. Angela Merkel? ****, the only world leader Hillary admires isn't in office yet.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ct7MnkhVYAAtDnt.jpg:large

Top Bottom